“big changes over the years”
Review of Crystal Mountain

Crystal Mountain
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thompsonville
Reviewed January 28, 2011

It has been more then 15 years since my last trip to Crystal mountain, and there have been alot of changes.The main building, Hamlet and Colony buildings all remain close to how I remeber them so they did seem a little dated. But the rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. They now have so many condos and cabins it's difficult to decide where is the best place to stay. Good news is the area is smaller so everything is really close. Dinner at the Thistle pub was excellent, even the children enjoyed it.
My children have never been skiing before so this was very exciting for them. Both were signed up for 10-4 lessons at a great price(included rentals and lunch) and gave us a chance to hit the slopes without worrying about them. By the end of the day my 10 year old was on the blue's and my 6 year old almost mastered the greens! But they had a blast and that is all that mattered.The swimming pool and outdoor skating rink were also tackled during our stay, both were enjoyed by all of us. All things together this is a great resort and I will plan to visit more often!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed January 24, 2011

On a whim my wife and I decided to go to Crystal Mountain to ski… we’d intended to go snowmobiling but weather didn’t cooperate so we thought we’d give skiing a shot at the last minute (the night before we were to leave). After scanning websites of other area resorts we opted for Crystal Mountain because the internet site was clearer/more complete. Location was great, though in the middle of nowhere (more on this in a bit). There was a bit of a wait at check-in but check-in was completed in about 15 minutes. Our Pinehurst room was very nice, clean, and comfortable. Onsite dining was fantastic! We figured the prices would be high but they were very reasonable and the food was top-notch. The croissants and other pastries at the Wild Tomato are very good. Everything we tried was excellent. The skiing was a lot of fun for me, not so much for my wife but she had a lot of fun lounging in the room and lodge. The only downside was the relatively slow service renting ski gear. It was easy to see where to go but it was so busy that it took a long time, though we did go at a busy time of year. Ski lessons were very good, and the instructor had us prepared for the bunny slopes in no time. I’ll definitely go back to Crystal Mountain… Highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We stayed just this past weekend and loved it. We had a large two-bedroom suite in the Kinlochen building. It was spotless. The bathroom was very nice with shower heads on each side of the shower stall, magnifying mirror, and their special spa soaps/lotions. We had a couples massage in the massage. The locker rooms are incredible. TV in the mens to catch the NFL playoffs and an infrared sauna and a steam room to relax before the massage. I don't know what the women's locker room had, but my wife said it was very nice. I was especially impressed that they had spray deodarant, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, after shave, mouth wash, cotton balls, hair dryers, and even razors at my disposal in the men's room. All the products were high quality, too! My wife had a prenatal massage and I had a swedish massage. The masseuses, Liz and Tara, were great. Fun, good personalities, and good at their jobs. We didn't bring our skis, but we sure should have. The snow looked perfect and the atmosphere is very cheery. We ate at the Wild Tomato. Nothing too fancy - just a simple family restaurant, but they did have a Prime Rib buffet. We wanted to go the Thistle in Kinlochen, but they were packed and had no opening until 9 PM. I suggest getting a reservation prior to your stay if you go to that restaurant. The staff was very nice and even more so when they found out we were a guest trying to eat there. I didn't catch his name, but he was good. Definitely trying!

Overall, we had a great time. They've built a very comfortable and active environment for all to enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2011

I have been skiing since I was a kid, and in a prior life, was actually a ski instructor in the NE. I have skied almost every region of the country and even sold 'ski & sun tour' trips in college....so needless to say, I have a very experienced ski resort palate.
My husband, 2 kids & I moved to Illinois in 2006 and I have to say, I thought skiing was completely off the plate for us unless we were to get on a plane. HOWEVER, very last minute over XMas break, a good family friend set up a five day getaway to Crystal Mountain Resort. Having seen and lived the 'parade' of ski resorts, I was very skeptical that there could really be a decent ski resort in the mid-west. After all... it is the mid-west, where there are barely any hills, let alone mountains. In any event, we decided to give it a try, thinking at the very least, we could get our kids skiing.
Well, all I can say, is Crystal Mountain Resort FAR exceeded our expectations! Truth be known, it is not a very big ski area and the slopes aren't very challenging, but for a FAMILY ski mountain, it ROCKS! The resort was exceptional with a very cute, well planned out, village area at the base of the mountain, two - three restaurants to pick from, a variety of housing options, a good size lodge and oh yeah.... a REALLY nice spa! I had two services at the spa and have to say, it was as nice as any urban spa I have patroned.
The big coo for us, is that the resort feels incredibly manageable from a size perspective. My kids have skied only several times now, so I was concerned about allowing them to ski by themselves. However, once they really got the hang of it, we let them go off by themselves! It is virtually impossible to get lost and it is very safe! We just LOVE it! As a matter of fact, we are looking to head back for a long weekend in February!
We HIGHLY recommend Crystal Mountain! Kudos to the owners, management staff and planning committee....you have a winner i

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank GPJill
Reviewed December 14, 2010

We just got back from Crystal Mountain and I cannot say enough good things about this resort! My husband and I brought four teenagers with us to try skiing for the first time. From the moment we checked in, the staff was incredible. We stayed at Kinlochen (beautiful), ate at Thistle, Betsies, and the cafe, used the pool, hot tub, treadmills, outdoor hot tub, ski trails, rental area, and every single member of the staff was awesome! We were kind of imtimidated about renting equipment and getting started skiing, but the helpful and friendly staff made it easy. They taught us how to use the equipment, gave us tips, joked around with us and just put us at ease. They provided everything we needed to get started, and now I'm afraid the kids are hooked. They can't wait to go again! A wonderful experience.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Jody44_10
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Took advantage of a recent holiday special at the hotel. Disappointed there was no snow for skiing yet but certainly can't blame the resort when the weather is too warm to make snow...they adjusted our bill accordingly with no problems.

Their Thanksgiving buffet was fantastic, and plenty of variety for the kids to enjoy. Breakfast at the Wild Tomato was great as well; again, plenty of variety for everyone. Kids' activities are somewhat limited when there is no skiing, but they do have some indoor and outdoor options available, including a nice pool. Very nice fitness facility and locker rooms. (Be aware though, the fitness facility is not connected to the hotel...you'll need to walk outside to get there.)

The evening horse wagon ride, bonfire and scavenger hunt were nice activities for both the kids and parents. Staff everywhere were very friendly and accomodating.
Only minor complaint was the thermostat in the room...could never quite get the temperature right and when the heat came on it was pretty loud.

Can't wait to go back and ski!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 27, 2010

We went to Crystal Mountain for Thanksgiving. We had an amazing stay. Every staff member that you come in contact with at the resort is friendly. We ate at the Lodge the first night and ordered off the "Peak Performance" menu. I ordered the chicken stirfry (which I have had many times before) and my husband ordered the veggie burger. The veggie burger was great but the stirfry was disgusting. I told the server and she took it back and offered me something else. She stated that they had recently switched the sauce in the stirfry. The mananger came over and took my meal off plus 5.00. Wasn't expecting that but it just goes the with excellent service we always recieve at Crystal Mountain. For Thanksgiving, we ate at their buffet. Everything was great!!!!! We love Crystal Mountain and will be back to stay in a few months to go skiing :)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thompsonville
The Hotel Frankfort
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manistee
Crystal Lake Resort
Crystal Lake Resort
#1 of 4 in Beulah

Been to Crystal Mountain? Share your experiences!