“Always a good time with extremely friendly staff”
Review of Crystal Mountain

Crystal Mountain
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thompsonville
Reviewed January 9, 2012

This is our 4th trip to Crystal and we really love it. The staff is so nice and and accomodating it is a breath of fresh air. Special shout out to Dani at ski lessons desk and Eric at the indoor pool area. We have stayed at Kinlochlen which is very nice but pricey and the Crystal Colony WITH a kitchen. Really an efficiency, but meets the need to cook some meals to save money. Slopes are close, you can ski right out your door if there's enough snow!! This is really a family friendly resort with the kids lessons being outstanding. Its so pretty. We will continue to return.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is our second annual family ski trip to Crystal. Each time we go, I am reminded why I love this place so much. They put customer service on top each and every time. We stayed in the Hamlet again. These rooms have two queen beds, a kitchenette (microwave, refrigerator, toaster, coffee maker, and dishes), a dining table, and a very big bathroom (shower plus 2-person tub). We called while we were driving up to add a 5th person to our package and it was no problem at all. The rooms are plenty big to place an aerobed on the floor.

With this warm and snow-free winter, they have done an outstanding job on the slopes. They were 70% open with an average of 3-foot base. Fantastic runs and great weather.

We'll be back again!

Room Tip: Hamlet rooms are right on the slopes, have individual ski lockers and are huge!
2  Thank Rjh8115
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We spent a week @ Crystal for New Year's. It's so pretty there! The home we stayed in is awesome (ski in/out). Thistle Bar has some great beer on tap and some great wine as well. Everything was perfect. I cannot wait to go back. The Wild Tomato is a nice place for breakfast, the Thistle is great for lunch, dinner or just cocktails. Going to Vista and checking out the action on the slopes is always fun. I can't say enough about how wonderful it is at Crystal Mountain. It's also a great place to go in the summer. Whether you like to ski, board, golf or just relax, this is the place.

Room Tip: I really don't think you can go wrong here but the homes at the bottom of the slopes are really...
3  Thank G2Travels
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Crystal Mountain is a great location for Winter family activities. Our kids loved it. Even though many of the runs and lifts were closed, our younger children had ample opportunity to enjoy their ski vacation.

What makes Crystal Mountain so unique is the attentive, professional, courteous and helpful staff - from reservations (Julie) to the Front Desk, the Ski rental facility, Ski Instructors, etc. I travel all over the world and I was very impressed with the level of service at Crystal Mountain. There are many larger, "exciting" cities and resorts that could take a page and a lesson from the attention to service that we witnessed at Crystal.

It was priced fairly (it's not exactly cheap but what ski vacation with 5 kids would be?). The value is solid and the amenities were good. I wasn't real impressed with the indoor pool and hot tub - for a resort of that size, with that many people skiing, the indoor pool and hot tub was very small and the changing rooms below average. They could use an upgrade here.

All in all a great stay. We will most definitely be back.

Room Tip: We loved the townhome we rented on the Mountain Top - ski in, ski out and a great view!
1  Thank Bacs5
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We just got back from 4 nights at Crystal Mountain. We have 3 kids, ages 9, 6, and 4, and stayed in one of the new cottages at water's edge. Our 3 bedroom cottage was fantastic. Had a big bedroom w/a king size bed on the same floor as the kitchen/living area and 2 additional bedrooms upstairs. One of the upstairs bedrooms had a king size bed with 2 bunks overlooking the mountain...really picturesque. The cottages are some of the pricier accommodations, but it was worth it.

We had breakfast in our cottage every morning, and I wish I had brought more food to make for dinner because we didn't think the restaurants were that great. We live in Chicago so maybe are spoiled by good restaurants, but I really thought the food could've been much better. We stayed over Christmas, and had the Christmas Day buffet at the Wild Tomato, which was fairly good (great turkey, horrible chicken/steak), and another night ate at the Thistle Pub and Grille. The restaurant is beautiful, but the food was terrible and the service, while nice, was slow. Even the kids' menu items weren't good--the mac n cheese looked like Kraft right out of the box. I just think the resort can do better, because it's so nice in so many other ways.

The ski school was fantastic--our kids did group lessons every day and the instructor/student ratio was very low and the kids got a lot of attention. When we picked them up, the instructor gave us detailed info about how they did, how far they got, etc etc. The instructors all seemed genuinely enthusiastic and worked well with the kids. The Adventure Care facilities are kind of dated, but the staff is really friendly and high energy and makes up for it. Hopefully they will update their facilities soon. The rental center is really nice and their boots and ski equipment are all new and very clean. Only positive things to say.

My husband and I both had massages at the spa. Very, very nice spa--definitely worth it, the facilities are 5 star and clearly they've put a lot of money into it. It's beautiful. There's also a nice indoor pool and hot tub, right across the street from our cottage. We were very centrally located and walked to everything, although I did drive to pick my kids up from ski school sinc eit was a little far to walk home in their ski boots :)

The staff here was friendly at every turn. I definitely hope to go back, and next time try snowshoeing (there wasn't yet enough snow!)

Room Tip: I think you get what you pay for...our cottage was great.
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We just returned from our first time at Crystal and can't wait to go back. It is nice and friendly, but not over the top. The service is sincere and predictable. I felt the quality of the amenities was an exact match for the price paid.

Ski school was spectacular with instructors that are saints. We are the "hovering" type of ski school parents and we liked everything that we saw.

We stayed in the Hamlet, the oldest and cheapest hotel option on the property. It wasn't super luxurious, but it exceeded our expectations and was totally fine. The living and bathroom areas were spacious for the five of us. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

We enjoyed the restaurants on the property and although they weren't the best meals that we've ever had, they were enjoyable and again, a good value match for the price paid. I didn't feel like this place was trying to rob us at every turn.

The ski shop is also very nice and I found a good deal on kids skis.

1  Thank MidwestFamilyTvl
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My wife and I decided to take our five sons away for a long snowboarding weekend and settled on Crystal Mountain. From the moment I made the reservation it became apparent that this resort was a notch above. Any questions that I had were almost immediately answered and when I received an email detailing a special discount, I was able to secure the new special pricing without a hassle. We book a Mountainside five bedroom condo and we just loved it! It is a little drive from the village but very roomy and the boys loved the ping pong table in the basement.

Even without a lot of natural snow at this point in the year, the boys found plenty on the slopes. I thought that the lift ticket and rental prices were reasonable. The food at the restaurants is good and may seem a bit on the expensive side until you look at your other options in the area...plus I am willing to pay for the convenience of not having to leave the resort. We finished every evening in the Vista Lounge watching the boys having a great time. We also visited the fitness center and the pool during our stay and found them to be more than adequate and better than most.

The boys visited the outdoor hot tub after the slopes and the staff called us to make sure we approved. The staff is very friendly and helpful! In fact we visited the village store looking for hamburger buns and found none. We asked at the Wild Tomato if we could buy some buns from them and we presented with a package of 12 and charged just $3!! The entire resort is very family friendly and the boys had a fantastic time being independent. We thought the village was beautiful and we plan to check out the new bungalows the next time we return. The best endorsement I can give Crystal Mountain is that my wife made the statement " I would definitely stay here again" more than once!

One big surprise was that a cleaning crew visited the condo every day!! If we did not live so far away we might look at buying a place inside the resort!

Room Tip: We stayed in Mountainside unit 609 and found it great!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thompsonville
The Hotel Frankfort
#2 of 4 in Beulah
Best Western Scenic Hill Resort
Fairfield Inn & Suites Traverse City
Caberfae Peaks Ski & Golf Resort

Been to Crystal Mountain? Share your experiences!