“Outstanding Staff”
Review of Crystal Mountain

Crystal Mountain
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thompsonville
Reviewed May 11, 2011

Fantastic stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They have a Mother's Day brunch that shouldn't be missed. I booked our room on-line and asked for an upgrade if available and when we arrived they had already upgraded us for free. Lots to do, no matter the season.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank krtjst

Reviewed April 29, 2011

This resort is a great resort for business or leisure, The staff is very helpful and very friendly, they make you feel welcome. The hours of the Swimming area need's to be change, because as business people, something we did not get done with meetings and supper and the pool would be closing. If eveything was open it would be a great resort for famlies, We were there between seasons.. April 2011

Room Tip: The hotel, rooms and house's were very quiet,
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Crystal Mountain Resort offers skiing, golf,and other outdoor activities such as bike rentals, etc. However, I took my sister there for a girl's weekend Spa retreat, and the weather was horrible rainy and snow so we didn't get to see the grounds much. Ths spa was phenomenal! We received full body massages one evening - absolutely incredible - so we could use the spa facilities that whole day if we wanted, and the next morning after we checked out of our room, we had pedicures, so we could use the spa facilities the rest of that day too. It was so wonderful and relaxing. They had thought of every detail. You are given a locker with robe and sandals and then they have everything from shampoo to deodorant to mouthwash to hair products for you to use from their spa line. The room we stayed in was in the Colony, it was very spacious, had a jetted tub, the bed was very comfortable. The restaurant was delicious. Price-wise, it was comparable to a higher end steak house.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed March 14, 2011

So we checked in Friday night and I booked on line and we stayed at the Crystal Colony which was $174 a night so I was expecting something decent. We walked in the building and I felt like I was back in college in a dorm room setting ~ loud noise, pizza boxes outside rooms everywhere......it was embarrassing trying to walk with my younger daughter through the hallway. We entered the room and it was very outdated and walls were thin and lots of noise. I immediately called the front desk. She moved us no charge to the Pinehurst......it was much better ~ so I thought. At 3:28am I woke up to someone talking which I thought was the tv in the living room. The talking was so clear.....I walked out to the living room and the tv was off ~ it was the people in the room next to us. The walls were so thin I could hear every word, every cough, every sneeze......it freaked me out. The next day we skiied all day and went to bed early and I was awoken again at 2am with loud bar people walking down the street.......I couldn't believe how thin the walls were of this house. So needless to say I didn't sleep well this weekend.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2011

If you are planning a "Romantic Get-away", stay far away from this resort! Although the hills, snow and blue skies looked lovely, the tacky rooms with loud heaters, loose floor tiles and poor sound insulation will quickly change your impressions. Add to that disappointment, barely- passable, to completely inedible food, screaming kids throughout and cold water (because "we ran out of hot water"...) in the Vichy shower...
Save yourself the outrageous trauma and head north to the Grand Traverse Resort instead!
If, however, you have a bunch of kids and don't care about a Spa, good food and good service, want to ski and think that carry-out pizza in your room is terrific...this could be the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HPYTRVLRS
Crystal_Mountain, General Manager at Crystal Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

At Crystal Mountain we strive to make every guest interaction an excellent experience. We are sorry and disappointed when a guest feels we have not accomplished this. As a company, we take our guests’ comments seriously because it helps us better understand our strengths and opportunities for improvement. We truly thank all of our guests who take the time to share their travel experiences with us and on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed February 7, 2011

I learned to ski at Crystal Mountain when I was three-years-old in 1979. Our family went back year after year and I have many warm memories of skiing at Crystal. When my son was born I knew that he would learn to ski at Crystal when he was three too. The ski school does not disappoint. They have the friendliest most patient instructors. I had complete confidence my son was in good hands. He did the ski and care program, with a three hour lesson in the morning and child care until 4:00pm. He was skiing after two days and had a ball!

We stayed in a Pinehurst guestroom, which would not have been my first choice, but it was all that was available when we made reservations. It was too far to walk to the slopes, so we drove and parked in the morning to ski. The room was clean, but a bit dated. It had a kitchenette that could stand to be upgraded. The microwave and counter tops were particularly disappointing, but were still functional. I enjoyed the whirlpool in the large bathroom after skiing. We had one queen size bed which was not comfortable, it sagged a bit. I did not care for the bed linens provided. Our son slept on an air mattress that they provided which was fine. Upon check-in the staff apologized for the room being so small, I did not find the size of the room to be an issue. The choice of cable stations offered was great, and the free wireless internet service was a bonus.

We brought our own food, and saved lots of money. We had waffles and cereal in the room for breakfast, brown bagged our lunch, and ordered pizza from Papano's, an off site, but nearby gas station for dinner. The pizza from Papanos was yummy!

We can't wait to go back next year, but I will book earlier and hope for a room closer to the slopes with a more comfortable bed. There are cheaper places to ski, but Crystal is the only place I will trust to teach my kids to ski.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Suzanne76
Reviewed February 5, 2011

We arrived at Crystal Mountain on a Tuesday evening (school was called off due to snow). The midweek package for stay and ski was a super deal. It cost less for myself and children to sleep and ski than two weekend lift tickets. The "Hamlet" accommodations were quiet and clean. The pool (very nice), restaurants, and the ski slopes were a few steps away. We literally walked out of the hotel room and onto the slopes the next day. Awesome fun.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank skaterninja
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thompsonville
The Hotel Frankfort
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manistee
Crystal Lake Resort
Crystal Lake Resort
#1 of 4 in Beulah

Been to Crystal Mountain? Share your experiences!