“Great hotel but internet connection is a total let down”
Review of Bay Inn Tawas

Bay Inn Tawas
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Tawas City
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Rooms are spacious and clean and well appointed. The bed was very good and shower is hot quickly. All in all a great room. HOWEVER the hotel pays only lip service to having internet connection. It was up and down so I asked the lady on the front desk and was told that the general manager knows it's crummy and refuses to upgrade the system. Basically the quiet rooms at the back of the hotel get no signal so to get some signal you need to be in the middle of the hotel. Don't think that you will get online soon here, you will not and once online the system crashes quickly. This is a real shame since the rest of the hotel is great.

Room Tip: Avoid being near to the pool or at the back of the hotel away from the road if you need to use the i...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Chosen 1

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have stayed in a number of pet friendly cabins in the area and found this to be far better. Basic and clean, with direct access to the outside for pet and a reasonable price. That is everything we want when traveling with our dogs.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank solanomaria
Reviewed September 7, 2013

DANGEROUS CHAIRS, STAFF NOT TRAINED IN CUSTOMER SERVICE. Nice rooms. Fantastic breakfast offerings. Many regular returning guests contributed to a family atmosphere. Everyone had nice things to say. My score is based on the lack of response from manager. A desk chair broke in our room and a plastic molded pool side chair collapsed beneath me. Hey I am average, weigh 150 and am 5'4'. A guest helping me said 2 chairs broke that week beneath her son. I gave the hotel a chance to say they'd replace their chairs, but no reply! My photo shows the stress point. I took pictures of all the chairs, they are all the same. BEWARE

Room Tip: if you expect to use wifi, be sure to get a room located closer to front desk. We were room 202 at t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GerrieLixey
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was a clean, basic motel. It's not on the lake but close to it. My experience wasn't particularly memorable, but since I hesitated to book it based on reading various TripAdvisor disasters I figured I should note my disaster-free experience. No barking dogs, rampaging bikers or screaming children were encountered. I checked out Tawas City and East Tawas and most of the hotels aren't on Expedia. If you're adventurous and going during a non-peak time you can probably find a cheaper, smaller motel at the last minute.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Sheets were not changed on the second night because I had spilled chocolate on the sheet by accident on both beds. When I called the desk there was no help. I left my name and number for the manager to call. No call ever came so I called and he explained that sheets were not changed if you stay multiple nights. REALLY ! No sign anywhere, nothing. How is that acceptable. Guests have no idea. That is scummy. The manager was unapologetic. The sheets on the bed were obviously stained, you think a courtesy sheet change would have been done. Gene Kirvan the manager is worthless. This used to be a Days Inn franchise but it was dirty they lost it. Pool though is nice.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank legacychick
managerbit, Manager at Bay Inn Tawas, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Manager spoke to guest the following day regarding his complaint of sheets not being replaced. Guest was eating chocolate chip cookies in bed. Apparently while eating, some cookie crumbs fell into guest bed. Guest didn't pick up the crumbs and slept in the same bed. If guest had requested sheets to be replaced with front desk, housekeeping would have changed the sheets immediately.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I chose this hotel as a recommended hotel for out-of-town guests for my wedding. I was so grateful at how easy it was too block rooms for our guests. We were given a great deal even though there was a big event going on in East Tawas and they could have charged more. The rooms were very clean, the continental breakfast had a lot to offer, and the staff was very friendly. There was an issue with the room that I booked, and they were quick to fix their mistake. If you are in town and not looking to stay on the beach, this is a wonderful place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was looking for a place to stay while in the area for a friend's funeral. I am so glad I happened to stop here. Not only were they friendly, but also were so reasonable in their rates. The night clerk, Sara, could not have been nicer. Seeing how tired I was, she insisted on carrying my bags to my upper level room and placing them inside. Unheard of customer service!! The next morning, I encountered more wonderful staff. I asked someone if they had an ice machine and the next thing I knew, Bertha walked away and come back with a full glass of ice for me. Truly, two employees that went above and beyond. On checkout, Tara was personable and professional - all with a friendly smile. They all represent their owner's hotel very, very well. Thank you from a grateful traveler.

Room Tip: I don't know about all the rooms, but my upper level room was SO QUIET and very, very clean.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
#3 of 4 in East Tawas
No photo provided
Scenic Resort
#4 of 4 in East Tawas

Been to Bay Inn Tawas? Share your experiences!