“Best hotel of our trip”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Tawas City
North Las Vegas, Nevada
“Best hotel of our trip”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Everything was the best. We are pretty budget minded and are used to compromising comfort for cost. Well, the cost was reasonable, and the experience was amazing! The staff was super friendly and very helpful. The room was very clean, spacious, and the mattress amazingly comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and coffee great.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Nice clean room. Excellent variety at breakfast. Stayed right off lobby and it was still quiet. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Cathy O
Casco, Michigan
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Bay Inn for our first trip to Tawas. Barb at the front desk was delightful. Room was clean, king bed comfy, very clean bathrooms, ate a good complementary breakfast in the morning. Close to downtown for sightseeing and walking around. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amber A
Royal Oak
Reviewed October 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Bay Inn in East Tawas Wednesday 8-3-11. When we arrived at 6:30 pm to our room (202) the room was warm which I assumed was because the A/C is not on until the person arrives in order to save electricity. I turned the a/c on high cool and the coldest setting and then my wife and I left for the evening. When we arrived back around 9:30 pm the room was as warm and stuffy as when we left. I went down to the lobby and the desk clerk told me that there were no other rooms that we could be moved to. That night neither one of us could sleep continously for more than about 20 minutes without waking to the a/c making muffled hammering noises and the compressor trying to come on for about 4 seconds before going off. Not to mention we were both laying in pools of sweat from the hot room. In the morning, I advised the frontdesk managerJim of the problem with the AC unit, he said he would have someone look at it, and we left for our business meeting. I returned at 10:30 am and found the door to our room open and the maintenance man inside working on the ac unit. I had put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door as our belongings were still in the room because we were coming back to change from our business attire back to our casual clothes before the 11 am checkout time. Not to mention that the towels were taken and the sink area cleaned (the bed and coffee pot were still not cleaned or made up) which means the cleaning staff had also been in the room as well while our personal items were left out in the open! Back to the air conditioner: the maintenance man told me that the Compressor was defective and needed replacing. I went back down to the Lobby and talked to Jim (service desk supervisor) and he said there was nothing he could do. We will not stay in this hotel ever again. I tried contacting the upper management but found out that there isn't a way to contact anyone. Emails are bounced back as undeliverable and there is no phone number for Customer Service.

Room Tip: Only tip I have for this hotel is to avoid it and stay anywhere else.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank mikelovesdiane
Rochester MI
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I have stayed at the Bay Inn on a number of occasions, including when it was a Days Inn a few years ago. There are a huge number of "mom and pop" motels and cabins along US-23. There are few that offer what the Bay Inn does. That includes a very nice expanded continental breakfast - fresh waffles, boiled eggs, fresh fruit, juices and so on. The lobby and rooms are nirely decorated. There is a very large enclosed pool and hot tub. The lobby seemed short staffed. Typically only one person is on duty weekend nights during check ins, which can slow down arrival time. The rooms themselves are typical of a mid-level motel / hotel. There is only one other motel / hotel in the area that is along the same type which is the Tawas Bay Resort. TBR has a couple bars that IMHO have terrible service, and the bartenders tend to be rude. TBR has a very nice formal dining area that serves all meals, but at a high price. The rooms at TBR are in rough shape, and typically cost $20 - $50 a night more than the Bay Inn. the sacrifice for staying at the Bay Inn is no on-site restaurant, and it is not walking distance to the shops and party spots in the downtown area. you get a view of the Tawas Bay but it is across the street, versus a walk out to the beach at TBR. Bay Inn had though better rooms and a better value, as breakfast is included. Rooms are clean and large.

One big piece of advise: AVOID IF THEY ARE GOING TO PUT YOU INTO THE CROWS NEST! The Crows Nest is a 1960's era motel that is next door, apparently purchased by the prior owners and used for overflow. On our last visit we were overbooked and offered a room at the Crows Nest for $55, a price that was $30 less than our original room in the Bay Inn. You are still allowed to use the pool, get the free breakfast, and so on. We took the offer. The rooms were very dated. It was clean, but inadequate. Very small room, noisy wall mounted air conditioner, A door that did not seem secure, etc. The bathroom had only one electrical plug, on the wall oposite the mirror. There was no hair dryer. My girlfriend had to pull on the cord to see herself in oder to dry her hair. when she plugged in her straightener the circuit breaker for the room blew due to the air conditioner running at the same time. I called the front desk and was told that the circuit breaker panel was in a locked room, and that the front desk person could not leave the desk to reset it. I was aksed to come to the desk for the key and do it myself. We were running a bit late for meeting friends so I agreed. I had to walk about 200 yards between the properties, received a key, and sent back to open the door to the maintenance area to reset the breaker. When I got there I found that the key did not open the door. Returned to desk, got a different key - same thing - it did not open. The front desk person had been trying to reach managers and maintenance people but they were not answering their calls. We eventually were moved to the only room available in the main hotel - an executive suite! NICE! Hot tub, huge room. We had the schlep our bags over after packing up in the dark. Wish we could have had that room in the first place LOL. ANYWAY avoid a room in the Crows Nest. There are other nearby mom and pop motels which are $10 - $20 cheaper a night that have upgraded electrical systems that will not leave you in the dark. I suggest the Captains Nest across US-23 where Ive stayed before. I will try to duplicate this review under the Crows Nest on this site if available.

Room Tip: Main building is fine. Avoid overflow motel next door called Crows Next. If assigned to the Crows...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jiml3222
Riley
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We have stayed at this location previously (the past two years) and enjoyed our stay. This time the staff booked us into the "Crows Nest" and the room was terrible. Being a holiday weekend, we were left with little choice but to spend the night. The Crows Nest is a very old motel adjacent to the main building and these rooms should be torn down. There is no WIIFI, one small bed and a musty old room. How they could ever book visitors for this accomadation is criminal. The web page shows only nice rooms in the new building, and never once mentions the Crows Nest as part of their rooms. We spoke with the manager and they said there was nothing they could do. They charged us $55.00 for a room that was not worth $20.00. I would seriously consider sleeping in the car before I stayed there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank daniel f
Davison
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Basic small, inexpensive hotel. No frills, but clean with everything to allow for a comfortable stay. Even though the hotel was completely filled both nights we were there, it was very quiet during the night. Nice having a refrigerator in the room! and free WiFi. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Oscoda Lakeside Hotel
Oscoda Lakeside Hotel
#7 of 10 in Oscoda
Huron House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Bay Inn Tawas? Share your experiences!