Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Animal kingdom

Fun to have a zoo in our region. The place needs improvement. It looks old, poor and doesn't look... read more

Reviewed August 9, 2017
gdcorbeil
Rockland, Canada
Entertaining Animal Feeding

This is a fun place to bring children of all ages, although a little muddy underfoot in several... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
PackHorseUk
UK

All reviews new owners friendly staff few years bring your own zoo staff needs improvement horrible place natural setting great park negative reviews great family outing kids families picnic seniors highway boots
Reviewed July 13, 2017

We were at the Zoo 5 years ago and back then we were never to go back.
Wanted to give it a second shot with the new administration.
I am convinced that the workers do there best to keep,this place alive, but honestly it should be closed down.
Pathways are nothing but mud, cages are falling apart, there are tons of weeds in many cages, animals look sick, some cages are way to small for the animals. It is just so sad.
We spent 50.00 to get in and stayed for 90 minutes.

You want an excellent wilderness experience, go to Omega park in Montebello, Quebec

8  Thank medic851
Reviewed July 11, 2017 via mobile

The zoo staff is super nice and friendly! The zoo is well taken care of and the animals are from bunnies to lions so lots to see. If you are going though think about bringing water boots if it had rained a lot because I forgot and lots of puddles and mud was on the paths (we have a lot of rain this year so the land has a hard time draining) The kids loved there experience and we will be back soon for a second visit this year as it's an easy drive from Ormstown to get there!

Reviewed July 4, 2017

I've lived in the area my whole life so I have been to Papanack many times since it opened. A few years ago there was a change of ownership and they have done nothing but improvements to the park for all of the animals' well being. We enjoyed visiting before but there were some enclosure updating and animal enrichment that needed to be done. It is such a great learning experience for families where children can see and learn about the animals in a natural setting unlike a commercial zoo. Also none of the animals are taken from the wild, there are many rescues! Such a wonderful place and the new owners have been working so hard to make great improvements to an already great park.

3  Thank Steph L
Reviewed June 28, 2017 via mobile

Went there with three seniors, a 4 year old, a new born and two adults. Easy to get there from Ottawa.

Had read the negative reviews but decided to take a chance. Overall, it was a great half day. Got there around 10:30 and left around 3 but could have stayed longer if thunderstorms had not started to roll in.

Very friendly staff, very good with children.

Contrarily to want others have said, the animals seemed very well fed. They were all the equivalent of an "athletic build", which is the healthiest for them. Compared to other zoos where they over feed, and animals overeat because of boredom or don't eat the right food, we found the animals in Papanack zoo to be a very healthy weight. It also has a good variety of animals, and many areas for kids to play, and for picnics (we brought our own). We were able to see the feeding of the lions, which was great. Around noon, many animals go into their dens, as is natural, so plan accordingly. Having said this, we were able to see all of them. Very good variety of animals given the size of the zoo.

In terms of water, I've read some reviews that complain about the availability of fresh water for the animals. I did not get that impression at all. On more than one occasion caretakers replenished animals' drinking water, which is separate from the ponds found in many enclosures. The issue here is that these water fountains are most of the time hard to see.

Keep in mind this is a more rustic zoo than others like the Toronto one. If it has rained, better take your boots. And, it is more interesting than you would think by looking at it from the highway.

On the enclosures, for the most part we thought they were fine, not great but good enough. The main exceptions were for the cheetah (which they are already fixing to make much bigger), some foxes and a pair of bobcats.

Finally, I would rate the value for money as good if you have kids, as there are a lot of things they can enjoy. If you don't have kids, I would rate it slightly below average, but I am pleased to see good use of the money by feeding well the animals and making improvements to enclosures. So, while the value for adults only might be slightly below average, I would not mind paying it every once in a while.

I would go back as another day outing next year.

For the Zoo, please keep up the positive attitude and good treatment of the animals,! And please continue working on some of your enclosures and you will get a 4/5 from me. For now it is a 3/5, with a recommendation that it is a good place to go , particularly for kids.

4  Thank koss123
Reviewed June 12, 2017

This was a GREAT place for a family outing. Me and my fiancé brought our almost two year old. When I saw the reviews, I got disappointed because there were a lot of the reviews saying it was a horrible place. When I got there, I was more than impressed(consider that this is the only zoo I've been since I was a child.) There were ALOT of different animals, we all loved it! Its more than I expected, don't be fooled by the negative reviews, I say, you can only judge by going yourself. Because I sincerely think it was an amazing day.

2  Thank b0bt874