“Great Family Reunion”

Ranked #7 of 9 Suttons Bay B&B and Inns
Lake Leelanau, Michigan
“Great Family Reunion”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We rented the entire inn for 3 nights (a total of 12 rooms) for a family reunion. The rooms are in need of some updating and repairs, but overall were clean and adequate for all of us. The inn was great for the reunion...a beautiful lawn for games, areas for spending time in comfortable chairs chatting, two places for campfires, a dock for our boat, and a grill for cooking. Pam invited our family to use the outdoor bar (covered by a large canopy tent) one night when it started to rain and our plans to eat at the beach had to change. One of our sisters was in a wheelchair due to a broken ankle and Pam offered the use of their golf cart to get her around. The views are amazing and I can't wait to see the family photos with the amazing backgrounds.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JMC628

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed August 11, 2013

What we thought was a beautiful location for a girls weekend in wine country turned out to be a terrible experience because of one reason... Pam the so called "owner." If she treats guests that spend money at her hotel this way, I can't imagine what she treats her family and friends like.
It started when I tried to receive a confirmation for our stay that was information for someone else with a similar last name. They also tried to overcharge me, but thankfully i disputed and referenced the confirmation (which was received days after they said it would be sent). Then after several attempts to book the wine tour with no one available to take a reservation we chose to book with another company (Caltic in TC - which was amazing I might add, and from the other reviews it appears that we were saved from an overpriced tour).
I received a call the day before driving up and Pam was calling to confirm our stay and wine tour, I returned the call to say that we did not receive a call back for the wine tour and booked with someone else. This was the start of disrespectful treatment which continued the entire time... to make a long story short I will just give examples:
An employee told us we had to move from a table due to "reservations at the restaurant," I still have yet to see the place fill up with people. I now feel that she probably told them to say that just so we would move.
She came up to a balcony where we were visiting with a couple to say that their neighbors needed chairs that we were using - this couple came out after she left to say they were very confused why she did that and they did not need chairs.
She came to our room on our last night and asked if we needed anything... (she had not done this the prior 2 nights we were there) she proceeded to accuse us of having 12 people in a room that could barely fit 6 people and when I told her to leave us alone she proceeded to try and slam our door in my face, storm down the stairs, and say "you have ruined things for other girls trips" (whatever that meant) and then slammed a door so hard I thought the glass would shatter.

I am giving fair warning that if you prefer to dine and stay at a comfortable, respectful, and non-abusive inn I highly recommend another destination. There are plenty of other places in wine country that would provide a better view and price. Such a shame; as stated in other reviews this place has potential to be great if there were a new owner.

• Stayed August 2013
7 Thank kgurney
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed in a 1 bedroom which slept 2 (twin beds with pull out twin), and a loft with a queen sized bed. There was a wall unit AC in living area and fans provided for up-stairs rooms. Weather was very hot on days we were there (July 2013), and on last day the entire Inn lost all electricity.
Rooms were clean but musty, old fashion TV, small bathroom, so a bit pricey for what you get.
Pretty view but water level very low. We did not eat at Corkys. Loved the Suttons Bay area, close to all the wineries, and Glen Arbor area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dynamo2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 29, 2013

First, I have never stayed at the hotel but absolutely love the restaurant. There is nothing like a the Cheese and Fruit tray with a bottle of local wine. The atmosphere is just great. Located on M22 so that in itself paints the picture of beauty!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I arrived very skeptical in light of the reviews here; but it was the only option in the area for a last minute getaway on our way to manitou island and so we went with it. I have to say, check in was smooth, the personnel were kind and helpful. The rooms are clean, it's just a very dated inn and yes, it smells musty... They could use new carpet and some updates. But the linens were fine and although furnished simply, the room did the trick. The place has serious potential with some investment. Corky's is adorable and the view is great. Skip the beach until the water levels rise again.

• Stayed July 2013
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Spent the weekend here for the Leeland wine and food festival and we couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. Yes, we checked in at the bar but there were no issues there. The manager, Jennifer who was working in the bar showed us to our room. The room was great, everything was clean and seemed pretty new including carpeting. Mattress was new and firm, definitely not a cheap mattress it may have been a pillowtop. We had a nice view from our room of the bay and a sitting area outside the doorwall on the patio. Sat outside in the patio dining area the first night and had a really good deep dish pizza for $25 and a bottle of wine. Not sure if that is considered overpriced for a Chicago style pizza but it didn't see too bad. The bottles of wine were reasonably priced, starting around $30. Hung out inside the next night and Pam the owner, let us sample a few reds so we got the bottle we liked. They had the perfect music playing inside and out at the right volume. I hate being in a bar or restaurant with no music. This was the right selection too, for a nice evening with a bottle of wine.

This was a charming inn in Michigan wine country, sitting right on the bay, with spectacular views. The perfect setting for having a dinner and bottle of wine with your special someone. The owner's are right there running the place and interacting with the customers. If everything doesn't run as smoothly as a Holiday Inn, that's ok, it blows those places away with its charm. I couldn't imagine going to wine country and staying anyplace but here.

I will say that they had a limited menu at the time we were there, 6/8-6/9, I think that was in the process of being expanded when the season picks up. Taking that into account, in our eyes, this place could not possibly be beat for charm and atmosphere.

I'm sorry to see the negative reviews on here. Didn't have an issue with anything and I would trade some inconveniences at check-in for the experience of staying in a small inn right on the bay in wine country.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I would like to clear a couple things up that others have written.

1) The beach. Yes, it's sand, then rocks, then water. That's northern Michigan. This is not Mexico. If you look at every beach on your drive up, they're all the same. Know what you're getting into first.

2) The rooms. We stayed in a Honeymoon suite. To be honest, it was nothing worth doing again. The room was nice. Nothing close to what others have written about their rooms being dirty. The room was clean and well put together. The headboard was against the neighbors headboard. You could literally have a conversation with them just by whispering.

The check-in process: It is in the bar area. There's a sign that does say guest registration, but it's not very visible until you're walking up on it. It was disorganized. Very. Another couple we met there lost their room to someone that had a 'close' name. I tried to relay to that couple that I just learned this was their first weekend of the season. They said they were there last year with the same problems but wanted to give them one more chance. Wrong couple to screw up on I guess. As for mine, they charge me more than what my email confirmation said. By the end of the trip, it wasn't worth it and I just wanted to leave.

Corky's restaurant: The food is nice. VERY over priced. Didn't want to pay $14 for an omelet. Filet was $32 for small portion and looks like it was half a butterfly cut of a larger portion I would've expected at that price. Wife ordered lava cake for desert. It came out frozen solid in the middle. He was very apologetic, took it off the bill, and told us he would re-fire another. I guess re-fire means burn the crap out of the first one. When she cut it open you could smell the burnt cake.

The wine tour: We did the all day tour. You do 4 vineyards in the morning, come back for a free pizza and salad lunch, and do 4 or 5 more in the afternoon. The driver was nice, and the vineyards were good. Go to Chateau Fontaine. By FAR the best one in the area. We learned the most there and EVERY wine was delicious. We came back to what we were told was going to be an assortment of standard and deep dish pizza and salad. There were 5 standard small pizzas for about 20 people. It originally was 16, but a couple more showed up for the afternoon tour and paid to eat. All they did was take their money and throw them in the mix w/o making any additional pizzas. Someone seemed to forgot to relay that we were supposed to get salad. Wife got one slice of pizza a few leafs of lettuce for an entire day of wine tasting. At $99 per person, I would think you could throw in a few pizzas! The couple that paid to eat complained when they realized the chef wasn't making anymore pizzas. They had to shovel it down in order to make the bus.

My wife and I own a travel agency and thought we would give this place a shot and hopefully dispel the other reviews. We wouldn't come back here. While they always apologized for the errors, at the prices they charge, it's unacceptable. Bottom line, I would never go back nor recommend this to anyone else.

Room Tip: There are 2 buildings. Looking from the parking lot, the one on the left has private balconies on t...