“Very good food.”

North Country Grill and Pub
Ranked #8 of 29 Restaurants in Suttons Bay
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: Hand cut prime rib, freshest seafood available. Large out door patio and bar. Key West outdoor seating available in the summer months. Cozy fireplace in the winter. Finest Leelanau wine list. We do not take reservations due to our small seating capacity.
East Lansing, Michigan
“Very good food.”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed the food on the patio. Their whitefish is very tasty. Setting is north country- with Michigan bamboo! A very wide menu; choose your favorite.

Visited June 2013

Ada
“We were really surprised”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We just bought property in Sutton's Bay and after a hard day of cleaning, clearing, etc. etc., we headed into Boones North Country for dinner, but weren't quite certain about our decision. SO glad we did. The decor is definitely north country woodsy with big, heavy wooden table and equally heavy wooden chair that were pretty comfy. Big beams overhead, a fireplace for the cooler months and outdoor seating on the patio which is pretty pleasant.
We were under the impression that it was primarily fried food, burgers and the such but it is so much more than that. The lobster chowder was absolutely the best----big chunks of lobster, a rich, tasty, creamy broth and small chunks of potatoes. We were very surprised at the quality of this chowder and we're both chowder hounds. The escargot, one of my favorites, wasn't up to that standard however. Oh well. They were overcooked a bit and still had a little grit to them. Won't order those again---maybe. I really do like to give places and items a second try after a review. Next time I'm trying the oysters with a martini--one of my favorite combinations.
I ordered the Prime Philly sandwich with au jus sauce and again, what a surprise! It was definitely the best tasting French dip that I have ever had. Our previous vote on this menu item had gone to another restaurant but Boones North Country is now #1 in this area. We also ordered the Whitefish dinner and yes, that whitefish was fresh and just a dream in the mouth. I need to say something about the french fried----crisp, not too heavily salted, potatoey in the middle. I dare say they are up there with the crack fries we get on occasion in GR.
The wine list was pretty amazing....some of our Napa and Sonoma favorites were on it (Duckhorn, Chimney Rock, Kendall Jackson) as well as some very good local wines (Boathouse, Chateau Fontaine, 45 North). If you prefer Italian, they have some of those as well. Their spirirts and beer lists were equally impressive.
The food was not a fluke, by the way. We went back there twice more, the last time with new neighbors. Once again, I ordered the Philly (I can't help myself) which was equally delicious as it was on our last visit, others ordered burgers, onion rings, Blue Tiger Shrimp, and New York Strip. Everything was prepared well and served hot----that kitchen is organized! This time we sat outside and had a wonderful time together.
One suggestion: the warm creamy cranberry vinaigrette does not pair well with the bitterness of the spinach. Perhaps sweeten it up a bit to make a more sweet/sour vinaigrette to complement the spinach?
Visit this area to do some shopping, kayaking, stand up paddling, or just sitting on the beach....but be sure to include Boone's North Country.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank malumni
Michigan
“Sutton Bay FAV”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Summertime enjoy the outside dining & in winter cozy up with the fireplace. This is the place for beef, Prime or burgers are all great. Have surf & turf and local fish if you like seafood.

Visited September 2012
Lake Leelanau, Michigan
“Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We went to North Country for my husband's birthday. Fun place with good ambiance! If you like beef, this is the place for you! Perch was disappointing, though.

• Visited January 2013
Commerce Township, Michigan
“Which menu item tto choose?”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

They make incredible 1/2# burgers done to perfection. Their onion rings are lightly battered. Their chili is hearty and plentiful. But their nightly specials made choosing complicated. Everything smelled wonderful and looked terrific. The broiled Salmon? Very tempting. But the ribs sound better to me tonight. I wasn't disappointed. Just enough sweet/savory BBQ sauce on them. Fall off the bone good. I almost finished the portion. I have some left over for lunch tomorrow
Yum! Maybe that's why Boones is always busy. Delicious food. Fair pricing. Warm and cozy,friendly atmosphere.