“Wonderful little restaurant”

Martha's Leelanau Table
Ranked #2 of 28 Restaurants in Suttons Bay
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Martha's leelanau Table is a European Style bistro serving breakfast, lunch and dinner in a unique century old farmhouse in a small town on the Leelanau Peninsula in the little finger of the lower peninsula of Michigan. We specialize in local food and wine from the family run wineries and farms in Leelanau County and the surrounding areas of Northern Michigan.
Joliet, IL
“Wonderful little restaurant”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Really enjoyed the decor and the food at this restaurant. The service was good as well. I'm a big fan of Michigan's farm to table restaurants and this one has become a favorite. We had lunch here and are looking to return to the restaurant for their dinner. Read that it was a restaurant visited by Chef Mario Batali. Went to Leelanau Cheese Factory after we ate and who should we see? Chef Mario Batali!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank demmama

“Always delicious and unique!”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Martha's is one of our favorite places to dine. Great food any time of day. Even the breakfasts are yummy. It is a small and cozy place with a Menu using locally grown products as often as possible which makes for a unique and creative menu. The outside dinning, when weather permits, is charming.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Char M
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very bad experience”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I've come to Martha's since it opened, however this last experience was terrible. After waiting an hour for pancakes they came out burnt and pretty much inedible. On top of that they never brought our sausage and when we asked where they were the waitress said they were all out of them and the kitchen was too backed up to make anything else. When we went to pay the waitress never removed the sausage from our bill. We also heard the waitress tell two tables they couldn't order after sitting at their tables for 30 mins because the kitchen was backed up and it needed to catch up. There were empty tables at the time she said this. Unfortunately we will not be coming back.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Bnordstrom
marthasleelanautable, Owner at Martha's Leelanau Table, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear "very bad experience" I am so sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at Martha's. We definitely hit the wall yesterday. We are a very small restaurant and we serve 3 meals a day. When we serve breakfast til 11 and we accommodate large parties, unfortunately, the kitchen does get backed up. I have spoken to the hostess on duty yesterday and we will not seat anyone until we can wait on them. she is a new hostess trying to do her best. All we can ask is some human kindness from our customers ,old and new. I realize it is not an excuse for bad pancakes and bad service. I would very much like you to contact me to schedule another breakfast on me as a token of friendship and understanding. Also, it was the busiest day of the year and the busiest day EVER at Martha's. Again, this is not an excuse, but I have been open since the first week in April, preparing for this day . Unfortunately, when everyone comes in one 6 week period and one day in particular(July 5) there is only moving forward one moment at a time and serving each person as they come in. At dinner, we do take reservations and it is a much more civilized way of dining. during the day it is first come first served and often there is a wait.. I would like to thank you for your comments and thoughts and hope that you will reconsider coming to Martha's again. friday mornings are really nice outside on the patio and we have Doug Hansen playing classical guitar. right now we are open 7 days serving breakfast from 8-11 and lunch from 11-3 and then small plates on the patio from 3-5 and dinner from 5-9. I am a small business owner in Leelanau county trying to make it. Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us with your comments. Martha Ryan
“Did not initially feel welcome ”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We were meandering through the Leelenau Peninsula on M-22 and got hungry so we decided to stop in Suttons Bay to eat. The sign out front said "Cafe" and it did not look pretentious so we went in. The man who greeted us immediately looked at the way my husband & I were dressed (jeans, t- shirts, & hiking boots) and asked if we had reservations even though the place was empty, then made a big deal with one of the waitresses about whether or not there was a table available.

We took a table outside because the weather was gorgeous. There was live entertainment which was excellent.

The food was very good. We had the before 6 p.m. specials. The service was excellent and the chef (possibly the owner) came to our table before we left and made us feel more welcome but I am not sure we would ever stop in again.

2 Thank Thekidsaregrown
dear"not welcome" thanks for stopping in at martha's on July 5. fortunately and unfortunately, this was the busiest day in the history of Martha's 6 year exiistence! we are a very small restaurant trying to cope with a very busy tourist season. this is the good and the bad news story. I remember you folks coming in. I hope that martha's is always welcoming. Unfortunately it may seem that we are not busy when tables are empty but that is not the case. On a busy night like Last night we may start the evening with well over 40-50 reservations on the books and then reservations come in all night and walk-ins come in. we try to accomodate everyone as well as we can manage. I am glad that we were able to seat you and that you had a great evening. I would only wish that everyone could be a server or a cook at some time in their life to understand the service industry. I will end by saying thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts and comments. I do hope that you will try to come to martha's again. also, Because we are "up North" our dress is always casual. We have bikers, hikers,and families, but we also have romantic couples, anniversay celebrations and destination diners who have come from far away to join us. some customers wear jackets and ties, but usually shorts and jackets are fine with everyone. Please feel comfortable whenever you dine here. Again, thanks for being part of a very historic day at martha's. I hope you will return. Martha Ryan
Livonia, Michigan
“Sophisticated yet casual”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

After riding our bikes along the TART trail from Traverse City to Suttons Bay, we were looking for a nice relaxing late lunch spot. We wandered by the house and noticed the charming little garden area. The menu offered a number of interesting soup, salad and sandwich options. The food was good but the service was strange.

My BF and I each ordered a Panini sandwich plus he went with the soup of day. Our waitress called the soup "spinach and lentil". When it arrived, it was more like a classic vegetable with lentils added. My Panini was the special of the day and she described it having chicken, ham, asparagus, and Dijon spread. When it arrived, there was no asparagus and when I asked her about it, she replied "oh did I say asparagus, I meant spinach". Also, the ratio of waiters to tables was about 1:1 but several people waited on us and yet there always seemed to be some confusion among them.

The restaurant has great atmosphere and food but the service is a bit lacking.

• Visited June 2014