“Comfortable and good value.”

Hampton Inn Sturgis-Lagrange Area
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sturgis
Santa Barbara, California
“Comfortable and good value.”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

This was your typical Hampton Inn that provided clean, comfortable accommodations and a good continental breakfast in the morning. Room was clean and comfortable but there was some rust in the tub (minor issue). Wireless internet worked well. Hotel was well staffed but not overly friendly, not a lot of interaction with the guests. But certainly not rude and they were very efficient. Great choice for an overnight stop.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Elgin, Illinois USA
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Very nice and clean and wonderful staff. Everything was as it should be in a moderately priced hotel/motel. The manager was there in the morning and was very friendly and nice.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed March 22, 2011

OK, we stayed here in Nov 2010 and thought it was a good place to stay but this time around we were quite disappointed.

The hotel and room felt dirtier and darker than the last time we were here. The hallway smelled kinda bad (almost sewery smell). But luckily the room was ok smelling.

Breakfast was still decent and staff was great as usual. Just a little disappointed that the actual room and hallways seem to have gone downhill.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed March 6, 2011

My family stays here sometimes when we are in town visiting family. The last time I reviewed this hotel on Trip Advisor, I also included my thoughts on all the other places to stay in Sturgis so you may want to see that review from about two years ago.

Our room included two double beds. Other choices include a room with a king bed only or a room with a king bed and sofa sleeper. Our room did not have a microwave or mini refrigerator. I assume this is true of the other room choices too. Our room was clean and comfortable. The TV is still the tube style and around 25 channels are offered including HBO. In room Internet is available at no charge or you can go down to the lobby and use their computer. We used the computer in the lobby briefly with no issues. The room included a desk with office chair. If you plan on doing much typing on your laptop, this probably will not work well for you. I found the desk too high relative to the highest setting of the chair. The bathroom floor in our room (223) had some flex to it. Several tiles were cracked and I could see where they replaced some of the grout. Since the flex was not fixed, they will continue to battle this problem.

The pool has a typical size pool and hot tub plus a small exercise room. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub but did not have a chance to use the exercise room. I did look at the exercise room. It included three pieces of equipment and I am pretty sure it had a TV.

Breakfast is included for free. Like previous visits, I found the breakfast slightly better than similar hotels in this price range. In addition to all the usual cold items (muffins, yogurt, cereal, fruit, etc.) they also have waffles and two other hot items on a rotating schedule. Our first morning, the two rotating items were omelets and sausage patties. The second morning, the two rotating items were French toast sticks and sausage patties. I liked the sausage patties. Sometimes hotels in this price range have such cheap sausage it is not worth eating but that was not the case at the Hampton. I also liked the omelets. They were some they probably bought frozen from GFS and then heated up but they were still good.

We talked to the lobby staff and several occasions and always found them to be nice and helpful.

Would we stay here again? Yes. The Best Western across the street (actually located in Howe Indiana, not Sturgis) is cheaper than the Hampton by around $20 per night but the last time I was there, I noticed they were getting a little bit behind on maintenance. For the difference in price, the Hampton is a little nicer and has a little bit nicer breakfast. If you are on a budget, stay at the Best Western. If you can afford the $20 difference, stay at the Hampton and you will not be sorry you did.

Some people that stay overnight in Sturgis really have no interest in Sturgis. They stay there because every other hotel closer to South Bend is already sold out or too expensive on busy Notre Dame football weekends. If you find yourself in Sturgis with no idea where to eat, I suggest Fiesta Mexicana. It is about four miles north of the hotel on the corner of South Street and Centreville road. If you want to go see a first run movie at low prices, go north into Sturgis, turn right onto US-12 and see a movie at the Strand.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pinnacle-project
Michigan
Reviewed November 8, 2010

This is a good hotel to stay in the area. The room is clean and hotel is well maintained. Although the cleaner they use to smells really strong. Although that is probably a subjective thing.
Free breakfast is good as well. They have waffle maker, muffins, breads and some hot items (eggs and sausage). Juices, coffee, tea are also available. The orange juice tasted funny when we were there for some reason.

The staff were really friendly and accommodating, we needed a little milk for our baby and they were nice enough to give us a cup from their kitchen.
Also their printer on the community computer didn't work and they offered us to use their office printer to print our direction.

Overall a really friendly place to stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 22, 2009

This was my home away from home for 15 consecutive weeks from March through April, 2008. This is a well executed Hampton Inn, so a well done 2 star motel. An extremely friendly staff makes this the place to stay in Sturgis. It is 15 seconds off of the Indiana Toll Road.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn in Sturgis. I grew up in Sturgis and normally stay with my parents but sometimes stay in a local motel depending on how much family is in town.

We found the Hampton Inn to be a clean, well maintained facility. Our room had two double size beds. We would have preferred two queens but I think double size beds are more typical for a motel in this price range. They also have rooms that are the same size but have a king size bed with a sofa sleeper or you can get a slightly smaller room that has just a single king size bed. Another review for this motel on TripAdvisor said the noise from the Indiana Toll Road could be heard inside the motel. I can not imagine how a person could hear the traffic inside their room. I could not even hear parking lot noise in our third floor room. The motel has an indoor pool with hot tub and an exercise room. Also included is a complementary breakfast each morning. Often in this price range I find the breakfast includes cold items plus a waffle machine. At the Hampton in Sturgis they do not have the waffle machine. Instead, they have other hot items which vary from day to day. On the day we were there, they had sausage gravy on biscuits and fried eggs. Also included was the usual assortment of cold items (pastries, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, etc.). This facility does not include a true business center but there is a computer and printer in the lobby for guest use. On the day we were there it was not working though so I did not use it. This facility does not include a restaurant. The Hampton is located next to the Indiana Toll Road right on the Michigan/Indiana border. The Golden Buda restaurant is across the street. If you are not in the mood for Chinese, go two miles north into Sturgis for everything else. I’m a big fan of the Mexican restaurant on the corner of Centreville (M-66) and South Street. It’s probably about four miles north of the Hampton.

We really liked the Hampton but here are my thoughts on some other area motels in case it is full. Just barely south of the Hampton is a Best Western. Since it is on the Indiana side of the border, you will find it listed under Howe, Indiana on TripAdvisor. This motel recently changed from an Amerihost to Best Western. I stayed there numerous times when it was an Amerihost but have not stayed there since the switch. It is comparable to the Hampton and I would recommend it. Also on the Indiana side of the border is a Holiday Inn Express and a Super 8. I have never stayed at either but they look nice on the outside. The Hampton, Best Western, Super 8, and Holiday Inn Express have all been built in the past ten years and appear comparable to each other. Behind the Golden Buda restaurant is a Travel Inn motel. It has been there as long as I can remember and looks like its best days are past. Across the street, and next to the Hampton is an America’s Best Value motel. Like the Travel Inn, it has been there as long as I can remember. This motel may be right for you if you need the ability to park your car immediately outside your room door due to physical limitations. A couple miles north in Sturgis are a couple more motels. First, is the Sturgis Express Inn. This motel has had many names over the years including the Knights Inn. Even though I moved away from Sturgis 20+ years ago, I still read the Sturgis Journal every day. This motel has had unfortunate problems with local guests. If you are on a tight budget and this is the only motel you can afford, sleep in your car instead. A bit north of this motel is the Regency Inn. Many years ago, this was the local Holiday Inn and the best motel in town. I have not been inside for a long time but it looks nice enough from the outside. Lastly, there is the Wood Motel. Until I read a review for this motel on TripAdvisor, I had no idea people from out of town stayed here for a night. I thought this was strictly for people that rent a room a month at a time while they are between permanent addresses. Think twice about staying at the Wood Motel.

If you have some spare time while staying in Sturgis, go to a movie at the Strand Theatre instead of watching TV in your room. To get there from the Hampton, go north into Sturgis on Centreville (M-66) and then turn right onto Chicago Road (US-12) and go a mile or so to downtown. The Strand Theatre has four screens running current movies. The ticket and concession prices at the Strand are half what most theatres charge. See their web site for more details.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank pinnacle-project
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturgis
Best Western Plus Howe Inn
#2 of 5 in Shipshewana
Super 8 Three Rivers
Super 8 Three Rivers
#1 of 3 in Three Rivers

Been to Hampton Inn Sturgis-Lagrange Area? Share your experiences!