“Needs a lot of work”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Sturgis
Traverse City, Michigan
“Needs a lot of work”
Reviewed July 12, 2010

The lobby wasn't too bad, but when we got beyond that, the smoke smell was everywhere, in everything. The first room we went into was depressing. The windows were old and filmy, and there were not screens on them. We tried to check out after we saw the room, but the woman at the front desk said it was her first day on the job and she didn't know how to ensure that we wouldn't be charged, so we stayed. We looked at four different rooms before we settled on one. The little envelopes that holds the card keys were old and used many times, and therefore, dirty, something the Health Department would not approve of, I am sure. In the third room, there were no lightbulbs in the lamps and when they brought bulbs into the room to replace the missing ones, the maintenance worked dropped one of the CFL mercury bulbs onto the floor. It shattered and he was picking it up with his bare hands. We tried to tell him not to do that, but he didn't understand English, so it was no use. Because of the mercury, we left that room. The place is old and run down. There was a very dirty pool, but I can't imagine anyone going into it anyway. I understand the owners of the hotel are new and they are working on improvements, but they have a long way to go.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WheatieMom_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed September 2, 2009

I really can't understand the 2 reviews I read about this hotel being run down.
I found the rooms to be very clean and modern , air cond. was quiet and cool , friendly staff, easy check in.The lobby was nicely decorated.The hotel is right across the street from Applebees , Walmart .close to all food and shopping.
The price was great . Lots of free parking.
Yes, I would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ypsilanti, MI
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I booked this hotel thinking it was a "Regency Hotel" --This is no Regency...it has broken windows....the paint and siding is peeling...People (Who I believe live in the hotel) have their windows wide opened with no screens.. with drapes hanging out of the windows... The inside smells like Mexican food is cooking... I don't think anyone should cook in a hotel.... It's a fire hazard... Once My Husband and I went inside to view the room.... We carried ALL of our belongings right back to our vehicle and left.. I am out $86.00 But this place is not safe to stay in... I told the desk clerk that we decided Not to stay.... He asked me why? I said I do not feel safe in this hotel.... I explained the broken windows and the smell of food being cooked in rooms.... He said..".But You are not staying on the second floor you are right around the corner"....
I kindly said Thank You and we left.... This place ruined Our trip to Shipsy...
we ended up driving back home... :(

Also the pool was closed and had junk all in the pool area... No One let Us know that the Pool was closed when we booked this....

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donna0917

Travelers are raving about these Sturgis hotels

orlando
Reviewed April 25, 2009

This hotel was very nice about three and a half years ago, the staff was very helpful, and thier overall friendliness made the fact that the property was stressed worth the price, but now it seems to have changed hands, and the good staff is all gone, and the rooms have worsened, I'm not prejudiced, but the Indian woman at the desk I had to deal with was very condiscinding, almost like she was doing me a favor letting me stay, too bad they didnt keep on the staff that made the stay worthwhile, but thats how it goes I guess, new ownersseem to think they are better, but in this case they have traded quality people for self centered holier than thou help, all in a crappy hotel, good combination, poor staff, poor rooms, poor service, batting 1000 regency.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank slipnandslidin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturgis
Hampton Inn Sturgis-Lagrange Area
Farmstead Inn
Farmstead Inn
#2 of 5 in Shipshewana
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites- Three Rivers

Been to Travelodge Sturgis? Share your experiences!