“Two night stay to visit Bombat Sapphire distillary”
Review of Watership Down Inn

Watership Down Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Freefolk
Cuisines: French, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Watership Down is a traditional family run country pub dedicated to serving good quality food and drink and providing a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.The pub has 7 ensuite bedrooms offering bed and breakfast
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked well in advance as also had to book our Bombay Sapphire experience which was as a gift for our sapphire anniversary. The inn was ideal as it was within walking distance from the distillary. I booked a room in the main building, number 1, but unfortunately during the night there was torrential rain and the gutter near our window was like a waterfall and we had practically no sleep. I mentioned this in the morning when we went for breakfast as I thought the gutter may be able to be fixed in the day. However, we were offered one of the garden rooms instead. We accepted this and were amazed at how beautiful they are. The bed was large, spacious room and the bathroom was huge. Had I known these rooms were as good as this I would have booked one for our stay. The lady that swapped the room for us on Tuesday morning was the manager but I didn't get her name, she was so helpful and even offered to drive us to the distillary. We declined the offer and were very lucky with the weather as the rain held off for our walk. Tuesday night was beautifully quiet!! The only downside in my opinion was food choice. I have to be very careful what I eat as anything spicy or rich can make me quite unwell. Breakfast choice for me was very limited although the staff did their best, I don't eat any cooked breakfast and would normally have porridge and fruit and perhaps some toast. The only cereal available was granola, which was okay but a choice would have been nice. We had dinner on the Tuesday evening, again very difficult for me. I was going to have the raviolli but the goats cheese was already in them. The only meal I could eat was the smoked salmon salad. I would still recommend the inn as a beautiful place to stay, the staff were amazing, the rooms were spotless and the surrounding area was stunning.

Date of visit: September 2019
Watershipdowninn, Marketing at Watership Down Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your review, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that the rain held off for your walk. Our menus are always up to date on our website and we will happy cater for dietary needs if possible. We hope you ill come again soon.

The Watership Down Inn Team

Write a reviewReviews (742)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stopped here for Lunch following a visit to the Bombay Sapphire Distillery just up the road. It was clearly popular with Locals and had a very convivial atmosphere.

Despite not having a reservation we were found a table and ordered the Haddock and Chips with Pea Puree. The Triple Cooked Chips were to die for, they must rate as some of the best I have had and the beer batter was light and crispy. The fish just fell apart and melted in the mouth.

The deserts were unusual and intricately designed and presented but were both delicious.

The service was a little on the slow side, but I think this was a deliberately considered pace, and could not be put down to poor service. Just don’t visit if your’re in a hurry, but if you were, you would not do the food the justice it deserves.

Not the cheapest place either but again the food is well worth the price.

For us it rounded off a very nice day.

1  Thank chrisrE2208MT

Thank you for your review we are very glad you enjoyed your meal with us. All the food is cooked freshly and sourced locally where possible.

We do hope that that you will come again soon as there are lots of wonderful things to d=do and see in North Hampshire.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a lovely room in one of the cabins. Could not have been better. Had everything you needed and so clean. Dinner in the restauarnt was very convivial. The added bonus is the situation of the beautiful Test valley.

Date of visit: September 2019

Thank you for your review and we are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and will come again soon.

The Watership Down Inn

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I booked here as part of my sister’s birthday gift to Bombay Sapphire. It was the nearest place to stay and having a bar and restaurant, it covered all our needs. Booked room on line and restaurant over the phone. The staff were very helpful.
On arrival at this lovely pub set in beautiful countryside, we parked easily and went in the check in. It has a small bar area and restaurant. Clean and bright. The staff quickly checked us in and showed us to our room. This was one of the newly built wood cabins looking rooms to the side of the pub. So nice and spacious. Large bathroom and tea/coffee facilities. We were so happy. Table and chairs to sit outside and take in the countryside. We walk about 10mins town the road the the distillery and came back to the pub for dinner. Our meals were great. Yummy steak and chips. Prices were average but normal for us as we travelled from London and used to higher prices anyway. We stayed and had a few drinks before going to bed. Beds were comfy and the room airy. We had a freshly cooked breakfast which again was delicious before checking out.
We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend it especially if you are visiting the distillery.

1  Thank loopy-7
Watershipdowninn, Marketing at Watership Down Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to review us, we are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and will come and visit us again. There are lots of things to do and see in Hampshire, we have some on our website that may be of interest.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Nice location and obviously very popular, but in my opinion a limited menu and very inflated prices for average pub grub!

Date of visit: September 2019

Thank you for providing your feedback, I am sorry you found the menu limited.

We cook all food from fresh ingredients that we source locally where possible, this is reflected in our pricing. We keep the menu limited specifically so that we can ensure the best possible experience with every dish.

We do hope that you come again.