“Nice hotel, but need to ask for a room opposite the highway.”

Hampton Inn St. Joseph I-94
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Stevensville
Florida
“Nice hotel, but need to ask for a room opposite the highway.”
Reviewed July 2, 2011

This is a nice hotel. However, my room was on the side next to I-94 and it was very noisy. The breakfast was good. Cookies in the evening. The bed was comfortable. But, very hard to sleep listening to trucks all night long. This is a very busy highway, between Chicago and Detroit and the trucks are non-stop.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Michigan
Reviewed February 3, 2011

First the Good:

Breakfast is a continental plus: Cereal & milk, yogurt, bread, bagels, bananas, apples, fresh fruit salad, etc.; Juices (Orange, Apple, Grapefruit), Coffee, Hot Water (for), Tea; Sausages, Biscuits & small egg/cheese omelets (low quality cheese) in a warmer;
Self Serve Belgian Waffle bar (don't over fill paper measuring cup and be patient for the timer, grab other things you want during the wait time).
Polite, professional & patient Attendant present for stocking, help, and clean-up.

The room was a king/queen+ size bed and was clean. And my housekeeper was polite, professional and helpful. There was an Armour type closet with real (wood) hangers (for suits and pants), an electric iron & ironing board (didn't use/test). It had a desk & chair and a couch with a pull out (didn't use/test).

An in-room one cup coffee maker with coffee pouches (not used/tested) was on the desk.

In-room WiFi access requires a code which is hand written on the envelope for the room's key card. I had trouble reading the code (one letter off) and the front desk was polite & professional and able to correct this over the phone. He also offered to stay on the line until I was connected. I used it mainly for surfing the web and I downloaded one file (slow). Not adequate for streaming media.

The Bathroom was clean. The tub/shower had a curved shower rod and a waterpik massaging shower head. An installed hair dryer (low, medium, high) did not have a cold (no heat) setting.

A small indoor pool was available for use (didn't use/test).

The room developed a gym/locker room smell after using the in-room HVAC to heat up the room.

Annoyance: The in-room HVAC unit would blow into the (black out) curtains, I used the room's Ice bucket and tray placed on top of the HVAC unit to hold the curtains back. This is especially important for those working nights and sleeping during the day.

Now the Bad:
TV was a nice 32" Philips widescreen. The Remote was a LodgeNet that was extremely touchy and hard to use. It seemed every time I touched/bumped the remote it would go the the Menu selection for in-room extras. The recall button sometimes worked to return to the station I was watching. A game controller was also attached to the TV (didn't use/test).

For having a nice widescreen TV, all the free (cable) channels were in Standard Definition. And when the TV is turned on it always defaults back to widescreen stretching Standard Definition picture ruining the aspect ratio of the show.

It appears that the (cable) signal coming into the hotel is digital but is distributed to the rooms as analog. Three stations were locked-up/pixelated and unwatchable (A&E, FSN & ESPN2). The rest (except HBO) had heavy pixelation and dropouts. HBO (channel 12) was heavily ghosted resulting in a double (shifted) image making it unwatchable. I suspect the problem lies with the signal provider (ComCast).

The was no TV guide type channel for current and upcoming shows.

When you are stuck in a hotel due to winter blizzard conditions with everything closed due to the weather the TV becomes very important for entertainment. ComCast and the Hampton Inn could come up with a system that could deliver a quality widescreen TV signal (not necessarily HDTV) to the rooms. But my previous experience with ComCast in the area would indicate that they would be the biggest barrier to this improvement. And since my employer was paying I didn't do any extras.

The snow removal service used at the hotel left big mounds of snow at the entrance/exit of the parking lot making it dangerous exiting onto the main road due to poor visibility.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Hampton Inns are trying hard. Their major positive feature is cleanliness: spotless bathrooms, duvet covers washed for every guest, one-paper-cup-at-time coffee/tea machines (one always wonders where reusable glass pots of hotel coffee makers get washed, and how well--in the bathroom sink?). This particular location has the added advantage of the friendliest and most helpful staff I've met in many months of travel. They go out of their way, packing special breakfast bags to taste, offering to help in every way possible.... And the rates are excellent.

That said, Hampton Inns as a brand have a ways to go toward the market for which they seem to be aiming--the Hyatt Place/Indigo crowd. The duvet under that clean cover in my room (or perhaps sewn into it) was a mass of lumps--it looked like a mogul field. The lap tray is nice, but accessible electrical outlets at the desk and elsewhere would have been even nicer. I had to get down on my hands and knees to plug in my computer. The towels are numerous and big enough, but thin. And the heat control in this room was not good--either hot blasts or nothing. No real thermostatic control. The free breakfast is only so-so: baked goods better than average, fresh fruit in two forms (great!), choice of strong or regular coffee, but overcooked eggs and no lo-fat cooked options. Keep trying, Hampton Inns!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 22, 2010

This is a good hotel with a great staff. Every employee we met was super-friendly. We brought our new puppy with us, and the desk clerk even gave us some treats for him. While we were having breakfast, someone came around with mints for our coffee. When we met cleaning staff in the halls, they gave a friendly "hello."

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I was looking for a hotel that accepted pets and this was one that did and they were great and very aaccommadating! The staff was very friendly and made you feel welcomed.

• Stayed August 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Took a weekend road trip with hubby and friends thru southwest Michigan's Berrien County wine country. It was a relaxed weekend, intent on wine tasting, eating, shopping and golf.
We booked two rooms (separately) online thru AARP/Expedia with a great rate, reserved about 10 days before trip. The hotel is EZ on/off I-94, and located mid-point of our weekend desinations. From checkin to checkout, the staff was courteous and accommodating.

We arrived earlier than expected, but our 3d floor room was ready, and we were allowed to check in early. We piled all the luggage into one room, parked one of the vehicles in the lot, and headed south for an autumn day of wine tasting. After a long day, our friends checked into their room, then we all enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Grand Mere, about 2 minutes away. Afterward, we relaxed in the hotel pool for a bit and enjoyed one of our purchased bottles of wine. Back in our room, we got ready for bed with a shower in the clean roomy bathroom, complete with the necessary amenities, including an ample supply of white fluffy towels. Hubby watched tv lounging on the loveseat while I checked email at the desk on my laptop with free WiFi. The pillows could have been a bit firmer, but the king bed was comfy and the room was warm--and quiet.
We made coffee in the single-serving appliance in the morning, then went to the lobby for a warm breakfast of denver omelet, hashbrowns, waffles, yogurt, fresh fruits and juices, and more coffee. We were welcome to enjoy the pool again, but decided to checkout and head north for the day, where the guys and gals split -- golf and shopping, respectively!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank SmokieBr
Coconut Creek, Florida
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We've stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions and really like the staff and the quality of service. The hotel itself needs to be refurbished in the worst way! From the carpets throughout the hotel to the bedroom decor to the aging bed linens and towels.
IT'S TIME, HAMPTON! In fact, it's past due!!!!!
For goodness sake, we business travelers are discerning patrons - we expect better! Sure we're a captive market but that's no excuse to treat us so poorly.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevensville
Comfort Suites St.Joseph / Stevensville
#3 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Hampton Inn St. Joseph I-94? Share your experiences!