“Dated and dingy but clean”

Super 8 Sterling Heights/Detroit Area
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel itself looked dated and dingy. Check-in staff was not very friendly. The room also was dingy (old carpet, old furniture) but was clean...bed was comfortable but bring your own pillow. Lighting was dim and TV reception was grainy. Restaurants and shopping nearby. A fairly decent, clean room for the price.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Reviewed October 10, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I always stay at the Super 8 whenever I need to stay at a hotel. They have always been wonderful to me and my family but I am loving it even more now. They have upgraded their breakfast and their rooms. Just a little goes a long way. The staff has always been nice and friendly but I love it when the greet me by name. That makes me feel extra special. I love the color they have painted the one wall in the room it gives it a pop of color instead of the plan dull white walls u usually see at a hotel. Now they have upgraded the breakfast also. I love it. Instead of just cereal, donuts and a bagel they have all of that and cinnamon rolls, waffels and fresh fruit. I will continue to recommend The Super 8 to all of my family, friends and co workers. U should try it for urselves. Oh and the best part is, THE PRICE IS REASONABLE ALSO!!! CHECK OUT THE SUPER 8.. U DONT KNOW WHAT U R MISSING!!!!

Room Tip: "All the rooms are nice. If you dont want to climb stairs request a room on the first floor.&qu...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This was terrible the room was nice but they star to knock on doors at 10 am they are so loud the housekeeping wont stop taking they won't let you sleep

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel now 3 times. Each time everything has been great, no complaints. Can not remember the mans name who helped me with directions but he was a huge help! Very well mannered as well. I will be returning ever time I go to a local concert at The Fillmore.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My boyfriend and I were in the area and were looking for a cheap yet decent place to stay just for the night. I looked this Super 8 up online and the price was ok, but sometimes I would rather pay more to stay somewhere nice. I checked out the pictures and they didn't seem that bad. So we went to this location and checked in... we walked into the room and 30 seconds later we were asking for our money back. The room absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke, I couldn't breath the short time we were there. The carpet was a really dark red, indoor/outdoor carpet, with patches of completely different carpet. It was so dark and dingy, and everything in the room was straight from the 70's.
We went to the front desk and asked for our money back. We were told they can't do refunds. I told them I could not breath in the room (trying to be somewhat polite). The guy said we could switch rooms so I asked to see another room. He took us to a double bed room... it was still dark, old and stinky. I told him I just did not want to stay at that hotel and I wanted my money back. He told us he couldn't give the money back but we were welcome to leave. What the heck- he just took most of what we had, we couldn't just go someplace else and say 'you guys can keep our money for nothing'.
We took the room with the two doubles. Nothing in the room was from this century, not even the pillows- they were so old that they were clumped into pieces. There was a huge centipede in the bathroom. The wooden door on the bathroom had wood looking tape across it, I unpeeled the tape to find a fist print dent in the door. The carpet was dirty, there was crud everywhere. I was trying to get some sleep but we were by the back door and people would go right outside the window to smoke and talk.
The next morning, I went to go check out and asked how they could not give refunds? The man working said "no, no refunds". I told him we didn't want to stay there and the room was unexceptionable. He said we could have changed rooms. I told him we did but the new room was still unexceptionable. Again he said they could get us a different room. I finally said none of the rooms were goo and the whole building was disgusting. Still he would not refund us.
There was no "hi, how was your stay", there was no "I'm sorry you had a bad experience, what can we do to make it better?" or "here is corporate's number, you can call them" Nothing except for "no refunds".

Room Tip: Just don't stay here. There are cheap hotels around the area that are actually pretty decent.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LB2Bellaire
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I have stayed at super 8 on many occasions and they always make me feel like a wanted friend. Their front desk staff is wonderful. Whenever I have a question for them that's not related to hotel business they go over and beyond to help me. Once I need directions to a location I had never been to before, Kim map quested and printed it out for me. Service doesn't get better than that. My room is always cleaned and smells very good. If I have a slightest wish they go out of their way to get it done. That's why I spend my money there and will continue to.

Thanx

Donitta

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling Heights
Hampton Inn & Suites Sterling Heights
Hampton Inn & Suites Sterling He...
#1 of 7 in Sterling Heights
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#4 of 7 in Utica
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sterling Heights-Detroit Area
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ste...
#2 of 7 in Sterling Heights
Quality Inn And Suites Detroit Warren Tech Center
Extended Stay America - Detroit - Sterling Heights
Extended Stay America - Detroit ...
#4 of 7 in Sterling Heights
Baymont Inn & Suites Warren MI

Been to Super 8 Sterling Heights/Detroit Area? Share your experiences!