“Gentle, fun!”

61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Gentle, fun!”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My mom and I rented deluxe tubes (equipped with bottom, head rest and cup holder) and took the 1.5 trip. I LOVE that your tube trip ends where your car is parked, rather than being bussed back.

We shared a bus ride with a large group of 20 somethings, all with beer in hand. The bus ride was rough, loud and dusty, but short. The bus driver loaned us a piece of rope (I recommend bringing your own in case they don't have any) so we could tie together. The trip was under the estimated time, and I could've gone for at least another hour. Take your time, stop along the way, and bring some beverages. The next trip up from 1.5 hours is 5 hours and the young man helping us disembark mentioned that many people who do that long of a trip are MORE than ready for it to be over.

The water is gently flowing, it's not too deep and would be a good ride for a first time. There is a lot of vacant land along and so it's peaceful. There were a few kids that had a home along the bank about halfway between who were collecting bottles. I don't know how frequently they are out, but keep your empties handy for them. Also, get a tube with a bottom because the water is so shallow, you will be running over branches and rocks that you'll scrape yourself on. There aren't any bathrooms on this trip, so plan accordingly. Don't forget you'll have to take your car key.

Visited June 2012

Grass Lake, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Drunk canoeing river”
Reviewed July 16, 2010

K so it was fun, but it is not good for familys or Christian retreats like they advertise. I call this a party campground and party river. So many stupid people. I did not see one group not drinking. The whole camp ground we went by they were all drinking and acting crazy. Sleeping at night......no it wont work. People stay up allllllllll night drinking, watching dumb movies on projecters and haveing partys with loud music. Whites does not care.

To add to that we were not aloud to canoe because the water was to high. They did not even call to let us know after we called for reservations for a canoe trip. We had use tubes instead. Plus they forgot our cooler tube for food, and we had to wait at the launch for 20 min or longer. Boy it was fun because we kept a good additude. But floating by the camp grounds was so bad with all the drunks thowing up and doing dumb stuff :( :( :(

15 Thank sh9_4him
Monroe, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Owner Lied to my Face to Try and Make a Buck”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

I made a promise to never return. The whole trip started with just two people and one canoe rental. After talking the adventure up to all of my friends we ended up with five canoe rentals and 12 people. I brought my own two kayaks for me and a friend to use. We were sort of the guides for the trip. I asked how much it would be for White's to haul my kayaks up river so I could start and finnish with the group and the wanted 60 dollars. You'd think that after a guy brings 10 customers at 50 dollars a piece they might give him a slight break. I asked the owner if could follow the bus and put the kayaks in at the same location as my friends and he wanted 40 dollars to use their launch sites. I asked if there was a public launch close to where he was launching my friends and he assured me there wasn't. He said my only option was to pay the 60 dollars and have him haul my kayaks, or to pay the 40 and launch at his launch site. The 40 dollar option included me leaving my car on the side of the road. Needles to say there was in fact a public launch within sight of his private launch and it didn't cost me anything but a little gas to join my friends on an adventure that I had planned to begin with. Instead of showing his appreciation for bringing new customers to his establishment he lied about the public launch to try to make another buck off me. Way to treat a Good Customer White's. The camp sites were filled with roots and very uneaven for poor sleeping conditions. The roadways were all sand and people kept getting stuck in front of our sites 19 and 20. This was the last time my family and i wil evar stay here again. Sorry for bashing your place but a small family business should be more willing to help special circumstances. I'll be trying Rivers View next time.

12 Thank slowleak_jones
Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“No Customer Service”
Reviewed February 27, 2010

I have called White's Canoe Livery in Sterling way over twenty times. One time they actually answered. It was 3:30 PM on a Friday. A young lady actually told me the women who does reservations was not there, but that she would be there on Saturday between noon and 5:00 PM. I called on Saturday, starting at 3:00 PM. They did not answer, and I kept calling. Finally, the last time I called, I let the phone ring twenty times, and then the busy single started. I hung up, called again many times, and all I got was the busy single. They had to have taken the phone off the hook. There is no option to email them, that I can find on their site, to let them know I would like contact. I guess they just do not want my business.

9 Thank LizaMichigan
Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great vacation spot!”
Reviewed June 18, 2009

White's campground was a wonderful experience for my camping group. They separate the family area from the larger groups so that everyone gets the type of camping they are looking for. They offer canoe and tube rentals right at the campsite and provide all of the transportation. They even deliver firewood right to your site!! Once you enter the park, Whites takes care of it all while you relax!

2 Thank campingqueen7