“Great food but way too expensive!”
Review of Arboreal Inn

Arboreal Inn
Ranked #4 of 26 Restaurants in Spring Lake
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the woods in Spring Lake, MI, the Arboreal Inn is a fine dining restaurant serving delicious cuisine in a warm atmosphere with attentive service. Banquet rooms are available by reservation for rehearsal dinners, small weddings, business meetings or events, and family celebrations.
Reviewed May 23, 2013

It is under new ownership. The food was great, but double what it should have been for cost. The portions we had were small.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

(This is a preliminary review as this restaurant is not normally open on Sundays for brunch. I will review the Arboreal Inn again after we visit some evening during their normal business hours.)

I'm not sure what I was expecting at the Arboreal Inn. This is a restaurant that used to be open under different management and from what I heard it had a dark, wood-paneled interior and decent cuisine. It has recently re-opened and has received some press. I read an article about it in the Muskegon Chronicle this past winter and it sounded like a place worth trying.

I'll admit up front that I didn't realize, upon making reservations for Mother's Day at 2:00 PM, that the restaurant was serving brunch buffet only. If I'd understood this, we would've tried to make an earlier reservation or maybe gone somewhere else.

Our party of six arrived shortly before two. The staff were obviously busy and seemed to be having a difficult time keeping up with getting tables cleared and seating people. We had to wait awhile, as did others, before being shown to our table.

The décor at the updated restaurant is attractive and I appreciated the natural light coming in through the many windows. (I regret having left my camera in the car, otherwise I could've taken a few photos for this review. Next time!)

Our server took our drink orders and encouraged us to go ahead and help ourselves to the buffet. My main concern was whether or not there'd be anything that my mother, who has celiac disease, could eat. Thankfully, there were salad greens, fruit, meat, hash browns, and vegetables. For the rest of us, the prime rib was down to its last few pieces and much of the dessert had disappeared. Some of the food on my plate was not as warm is it most likely had been at 11 AM when the buffet opened.

Some positive notes: the Chicken Kiev was tasty as were the crème puffs. They have Belhaven's Beer (from Dunbar, Scotland) -- one of my favorites. The wait staff was pleasant and parking was not a problem.

I'd like to return to the Arboreal Inn for dinner with my husband sometime and give them another chance to be at least "very good" if not "excellent." The selections on their menu (found via their website) sound wonderful and I hope maybe next time they can live up to my expectations!

1  Thank Jill C