Village Baker
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Spring Lake
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Village Baker opened July 2011 with Sara Rathbun & Oran Rankin serving locally sourced homemade food. Our founders wanted to create an eclectic atmosphere that would bring our community together through delectable dishes and casual dining. Since then, our chefs have been serving both quality interpretations of classic dishes and new ventures into the uncharted territories of food. The Village Baker's interior, filled with second hand and hip sensibilities, was pieced together by Sara herself and reflects the beautiful and romantic style of our surrounding area. The restaurant offers choices of comforting custom pizzas, perfectly unique bread options, and memorable sandwich combinations. Spanning across menus that delve into breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you'll be sure to find exactly what you were looking for in a small town restaurant.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stopped for breakfast around July 4th and discovered a lot of confusion. There are tables to sit and have breakfast, although there was a good crowd buying baked goods at the counter. Our server was not overly friendly and the food choices for breakfast were slim. The food is typical yuppie fare with fancy muffins and egg sandwiches made with upscale sauce, bacon and bread. We noticed that the locals rode their bikes or hiked in wearing jogging pants and so on to have muffins made with fruit and berries and teeny weeny chocolate chips. (You know the bakery goods can't be too fattening when you see this younger thin crowd there). The muffins did taste good, but the breakfast sandwich was odd due to the sauce used on it. If you want a fancy baked good, this is your place. If you want breakfast, there are many other choices in the Spring Lake, Grand Haven area with better service and more traditional choices.

2  Thank Bob W

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I Went with my daughter and her boyfriend on the 4th of July for breakfast. This is a small, but very pleasant restaurant. The food was excellent and the menu offered wonderful variations on old favorites. Give it a try.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've had this problem here a couple of times. I went in for baked goods and wanted lunch. There is no clear host/hostess. I checked with the person slicing bread and she directed me to a table. I waited to get a beverage, waited to have my order taken. It was actually taken by another person at the counter. (I think he felt sorry for me sitting alone and waiting.) The person who brought me my drink brought me my sandwich. I had to ask for silverware and napkins. She brought me silverware, but no napkins. I had to ask the table next to me for some of theirs. The sandwich was great as was the baked goods I bought. I HATE the table service there. There is no clear person in charge. No clear "sections". Not all the servers are so clueless, but it does make me stay away.

2  Thank Nacho67
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and split and Orin-ator on my birthday. Din't tell the staff, I'm in my 50's, why the heck would I want to broadcast that? we sat outside on a pleasant mid-May evening before heading off to GR for a playoff hockey game. We ordered a couple of funky bottled sodas. Cola I think, and sooner than you'd know it, out came the pizza. Nice size for a couple middle agers, plenty of toppings, dough was fresh, crust was firm/crisp, all in all a good, healthy offering. I will return!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Unique and delicious meals, and the baked goods are varied and exceptional. No watery soups here! They are hearty and pizzas are delightfully different. Their Cranberry walnut bread is a favorite at choir practice--great with butter or cream cheese! Yummm!