“Friendly Staff, very comfy beds”

Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Southgate
Annapolis, Maryland
“Friendly Staff, very comfy beds”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Stayed here again on a recent vist. The hotel is dated and needs much renovation and updating but the staff if very friendly and nice, the beds are very very comfortable. Good value and convenient location. Breakfast buffet is great and our servers were Rebecca and Allen and they were outstanding and soooo nice. We had dinner there and our waitress was Tammy, not a good waitress at all. Not sure if poorly trained or just not in the right position but she was not at all helpful or informative and socialized more than serving customers..a real disappointment. The food was, during our stay, always preapared well and tasty. Other than need a major renovation and updating it is a good place to stay for anyone. Recommend staying on the West Side of the building as the romm are larger and more comfortable. Nice place and good value.

Room Tip: Stay on the West Side, rooms are larger and more comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Visited the Detroit area Memorial Day weekend for a wedding. The hotel does not look like much but, looks can be deceiving. This hotel is close to Detroit Metro(Wayne County) Airport. U.S. Interstate 75 is easily accessible. Entrance is in front of hotel.

Hotel has ample meeting room space for a small conference in my opinion. The swimming pool area is gorgeous. The restaurant on site has decent breakfast buffet. Great wait staff. The staff is very courteous. My buddy used this property as the host hotel for his family and friends for his wedding. Check in/check out was quick.

Had decent time here but, was there for two nights. The hotel does need some updates, it felt like I was in a time warp though. This hotel is listed in the local Chamber of Commerce's publication as a meeting/conference center.

I do not know too much about this area but, it is not downtown and more of a suburban location. It is a great place to stay if you want to visit the Henry Ford Museum and other attractions in the metro area. I would consider staying here again for a quick weekend trip or business trip if there are no other options.

The room rates were good

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Tredawg94,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, breakfast option and location of the hotel. I am sorry that our facility did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I am fed up with staying at expensive 'Inn and Suites' hotels that may have big rooms and may be brand new but have no services. The Holiday Inn, Southgate has everything I need for a stay. The staff here are very friendly and helpful, in fact, the breakfast staff are some of the best I have come across in quite some time. I wanted to ask if they would relocate to Iowa and work in my restaurant! No problems with room cleaning but I will say that I am not super picky in this area. Huge swimming pool is a nice bonus. Nice full-service bar but tends to be kind of quiet during the week. I ate in the bar a number of times and the food was fine, nothing special but good portions. Conveniently close to the airport and right on a major highway. Room is fine - nothing special. Some parking-lot noise at night, nothing that bothered me but if you are super-sensitive to noise you might ask for an upstairs room at the back of the hotel. I have spent almost two weeks in this hotel now and will certainly stay here next time I am in town. If you are bringing the family, there is a nice YMCA next door with outdoor water park.

Room Tip: Upstairs at the back of the hotel if you are highly sensitive to parking-lot noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I really don't know what to say to help this hotel. I have tried to share my experiences with management, but it has not solved the problems. This is a nice hotel with friendly employees and it is in a nice location, but if the only way for a room to be actually clean is for two managers to detail the room prior to my arrival, then this hotel has serious issues that needs addressed. I can not in good conscience suggest this hotel to anyone until major changes are made at this hotel.

Below is documentation of my experiences at the Southgate Holiday Inn during the Spring of 2014 which includes 5 stays and 6 rooms:

2014-03-19 (Check out on 20th) - I checked in and went to my room. I always check the bed(s) for bugs since I have read horror stories, and what I found was a lot of hair.
I collected several hairs with a Kleenex and went to the front desk. The ladies were very kind and apologized. They moved me to a different room and gave me a $20 off coupon to eat dinner at the Holiday Inn. I went to my new room, checked the bed and found four hairs of which I removed with a Kleenex and threw away. (I informed the front desk of these four hairs too.)
A few days later, the manager called me to apologize and stated the cleaning staff was overloading the washing machine and dryer which was trapping the hair with the sheets. The manager promised the hair issue will not occur again.

2014-04-07 (Check out on April 8th) - I checked in and found several hairs on the bed again. I again collected them and took them to the front desk to tell them that whatever the manager has implemented to remove the hairs is NOT working. The front desk offered a $20 off coupon for dinner again. I refused the coupon and told them that I am not showing them the hairs for a free meal, I am showing them the hairs so they may fix the problem since I want a clean room when I stay at their hotel and that I stay at this hotel since my company has a discounted rate. (I did eat dinner here again but paid the full amount without the $20 off coupon.)
I received a voicemail from a manager later in the week and returned the call to voicemail, but never received a call back.

2014-04-13 (Check out on the 19th) - I checked in and had a perfect room. There were no hairs on the bed and the rest of the room was clean. This is what I expect when I check in to any hotel. Later a lady knocks at the door and asks how's my room. I tell her it is very nice and clean, and I didn't find any hairs on my bed. She said she is glad since she personally cleaned my room. Although I am VERY glad my room is actually clean this time, I find it odd that the Holiday Inn must task a specific lady to detail my room to make sure it is not dirty and there are no hairs on the bed.

2014-04-20 (Check out on the 25th) - I checked in and found a couple hairs on the bed. It is only a couple, I don't bother complaining to the front desk. I mention the hairs to the front desk when I checked out.

2014-04-26 (Check out on May 1st) - I checked in and found what was possibly the worst room yet. I turn on the light and from across the room could see a hair on the pillow. I didn't even have to touch the bed to see the hair. Upon further inspection, I found two more hairs on a second pillow. I called the front desk, they had no more rooms for the night so they send clean pillow covers which I changed myself. I showed the pillows and the 3 hairs to the gentleman who brought the clean pillow covers, he commented that the cleaning staff needs to do a better job.
I continued to check the bed and found more hair on the sheets and the mattress cover which I removed and threw away.
I then found the restroom wall had what appeared to be the result of an explosive toilet. (There were dried brown spots and dried brown run marks on the wall next to the toilet.)
Later in the week, Pam, one of the managers asks to talk to me and questions what I do to find the hairs since I am the only one finding hairs and the only time I didn't find hair is the time she and another manager spent 15 minutes going over the room before I arrive. I invite her into the room and tell her this was probably the worst room I have had yet. It seems odd to me that two managers have to personally go over a room to make sure there are no hairs. I inform Pam that I do inspect the bed in detail since I have read horror stories about bed bugs and I don't want to take bed bugs home with me. But even so in this case for this room, I didn't even touch the bed and I could see a large dark hair sitting on top of the pillow as soon as I turned the light on. There is something wrong when that happens and if I am the only one finding hairs, then I am the only one looking at the bed before getting in it to sleep. I also show her how the restroom wall had dried brown spots and dried brown running streaks as if the toilet had exploded on the wall. Pam asked when she could clean the wall and I told her it's tool late now, it should have been cleaned before I, or anyone else checked in to this room. Pam apologized and left.
Upon checkout, the front desk asked how my stay was, and I said, "Well, there were hairs again." To which they laughed...
Laugh if you wish, I don't find a dirty hotel room a funny topic.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank SuperPoser
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Mike E,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your experiences in our property. It’s good to know that our location suited your needs and I appreciate your kind words intended for our staff.

I am so sorry to see you overall experience was not 100% satisfactory. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your stay so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Southgate hotels

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Stayed here for five nights recently on a business trip. The staff was very friendly and greeted me as a platinum member. The lobby and hallways by the convention rooms are very nice. The hallways by the rooms are clean but need remodeling. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. They also gave me a free breakfast coupon at check in. I would stay here again if I had business in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark0076
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Pretty much what I would expect from a Holiday Inn. Plenty of towels, bottled soaps, etc. for my wife and me. Bed was comfortable with lots of pillows. We did get a free bacon and egg breakfast with juice...even though our online booking stated that breakfast was not included. The attached bar served us a nacho large enough for four people with two beers for $14.
Cons: Toilet tissue repeatedly did not flush on our first attempt. Lack of bathroom fan caused mirror to steam up while shaving along with not dispensing odors from bowel movements.
I rated low for value because there was a LaQuinta nearby 50% cheaper. In hindsight, to save 50%, I should have checked out the LaQuinta reviews...but I was in a hurry to do the booking due to a death in the family.
OldTOm

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
riverrouge
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I had a great time me and my family enjoyed our time i room was really clean i can say i had no complaints everyone at the hotel was welcoming they have a great staff especial brittany from housekeeping she really went above and beyond i had no Landry soap and she offer to get me some and to wash my items for me she really a great help and staff member when i try using the one they had for guest and it wouldn't work for me overall i would recommend this place to anyone great time.

• Stayed March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southgate
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southgate - Detroit Area
Red Roof Inn Detroit Southwest-Taylor
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 3 in Allen Park

Been to Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center? Share your experiences!