All reviews chop house hot buffet breakfast huge pool an on site restaurant large refrigerator older hotel lovely property out of towners full service hotel volleyball tournament public areas front counter hotel breakfast bar and grill shower head decent size would stay here again
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great Place for a Reunion! Yes, many of my fellow classmates and their spouses united to celebrate 50 years since graduating from High School. The facility was perfect for our needs, the staff and food service was also excellent. The parking lot is very large and easily accommodated the hotel guests as well as a wedding reception and our reunion. And, the Holiday Inn Southgate is easy to locate. It's located right off the I-75 expressway.

Room Tip: I didn't personally use a room. However, there are elevators to help guests get to the second floor rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This was one of my most memorable stays. It was so pleasant and very comfortable. The staff was so pleasant and helpful all the time. Rooms were colorful and soooo clean. Flat tvs a plus. What a wonderful stay. There 11 days. Amazing hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from the event halls.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mary Lou R
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I've been at this hotel on two occasions now in the last year for conferences and couldn't be happier with my experience with a few subtle issues.

The rooms here are large and well adorned, with updated linens and decor. I do think Holiday Inn is doing what they can to upgrade their properties and even though Southgate is not a destination location for the majority of people, it's a great stop-over hotel or conference location for those looking to "get off the highway." I've also seen weddings here and this would not be remotely my first choice for an event like that.

The service was excellent, the hotel was clean and quiet, the beds were confortable and I couldn't have been happier with my experience. It's definitely not the Ritz, but you're not paying those prices either.

My only complaints would be the food at the hotel, which is not good. There are other options in the area and I would suggest you use those. Also, though updated, the hotel is burdened with an old layout and it's a bit of a maze walking through the uninspiring hallways on your way to your room or conference area and the bathrooms in the rooms are less than inspiring.

These are however, minor beefs. I very much recommend this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear marcusg123,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant. However, it seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to the quality of food. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I booked a reservation with my credit card. When I arrived, the desk attendant said I had no reservation. They still billed my card. Now I'm going through hell trying to get them to remove the charge from my card.
All this, by the way, after driving 12 hours to find out that my wife and kids and I would have to go scrounging for a room.

Room Tip: Watch your credit card statement carefully if you stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Robert_T_Bennett
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Robert_T_Bennett,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Southgate Heritage Center, MI. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were in town for a wedding weekend. We were given two options for wedding accommodations--this hotel, or another which was way down the list on trip advisor. First the positives--the check-in was very quick and the staff helpful and courteous. The complimentary breakfast buffet was adequate, but nothing special, and the restaurant staff very friendly and attentive. At first glance the hotel feels a little dated but overall clean and well kept with a spacious guest room which conveniently included a frig and microwave. Now for the not so good. Bathrooms were very small with the dressing area and sink located outside the bathroom. The air conditioner ran continuously even though it was a cool weekend. The air felt damp as did the carpet. It took us awhile to realize that after walking barefoot on the carpet, our feet were almost black! The bathroom and main room felt clean until I dropped a pair of glasses behind the bedside table and discovered all of the dust behind it. What really creeped us out was returning back one day to find a centipede crawling across the comforter. I might have thought this was a rare occurence had I not had to keep swatting away small fruit fly like insects while I brushed my teeth at the sink. We were located on the ground floor with a lot of flowers and landscaping directly outside which may have been the source of the critters. I would have mentioned it upon checkout, but on a Sunday they seemed short-staffed at the desk and she was trying to wait on guests and answer numerous phone calls simultaneously. The other thing we found rather odd was that housekeeping comes by very early in the morning. While we were trying to get ready for the wedding at 9:30 am, we put out the do not disturb sign. This resulted in a notice under our door that they would not be doing service on our room that day unless we called the desk and scheduled before 3:00. Seems a little early to miss your chance for service given that there must have been plenty of check-outs to take care of first. Overall we had a decent stay but if we visited the area again we would check out the options outside of this exit. There are few hotels here, and I think this was one of the best there was to offer, but not up to the standards I would have expected.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear kycoltsfan,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our front desk staff and room amenities.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding cleanliness, housekeeping and bathroom size. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.