All reviewschop househot buffet breakfasthuge poolan on site restaurantlarge refrigeratorolder hotellovely propertyout of townersfull service hotelvolleyball tournamentpublic areasfront counterhotel breakfastbar and grillshower headdecent sizewould stay here again
Reviewed July 4, 2006

My husband and I were recently in Southgate, MI for our third wedding anniversary. My husband treated us to two days of adventure running around Southgate, Dearborn and Detroit to visit all the places we had ventured during our dating years.

We visited Henry Ford Village and other attractions in the area over a two day period so, my husband booked us a night at The Holiday Inn as it was only about 10 minutes away. We wanted to stay at The Dearborn Inn, The Ritz Carlton or The Hyatt in Dearborn but, they were all booked up for conventions (these are all very nice hotels with all the perks and amenities for the money - top draws for business and tourists alike). So...The Holiday Inn became our back up choice.. I used to live in Southgate for seven years due to work and the Holiday Inn was down the road from my old house so, it was familar to me.

Although he kept our outings a secret, and everything went as planned, I was only disappointed when we pulled into the Holiday Inn for our over-night stay. I like 4 star accomodations and felt this was going to be a 2 star hotel at best. I know he tried to find us other places to stay with no luck so, I appreciated his attempts at luxury. I heard good things about the restaurant at The Holiday Inn over the years but, the bar and hotel used to get plenty of jabs, jests and teasing over the years due to location near the freeway, less than stellar design and over-night trucker and tourist traffic. I was worried what I would find....

Positive Points To The Hotel...

The hotel is right off I-75 going North to Detroit (15 minutes away) or Dearborn (15 minutes to the west). It is also only 15 minutes away from Detroit Metro Airport and in a small, pleasant and ever growing downriver community called Southgate. A safe, clean and appealing city on the move.

Parking is in the front and all the sides of the building - close and easy to access. Typically, you should pull up to the carport, check in and then go park. Often, you'll get your key and be instructed to park around the building closer to your room so, no point in parking, getting out your luggage, going to the lobby, checking in and then being told to go elsewhere on the site that requires you load back up and drive away again. So...carport, check-in, then park and unload.

The lobby was renovated in recent years and shows nicely. The lobby was like a different hotel from the exterior, hotel corridors and rooms. It had marble on the floors, crystal chaneliers, mirrors & paintings galore and plush furniture and accessories to enjoy. The lobby made a nice impression. (The rooms are not nearly as luxurious).

The front desk staff were prompt, courteous and friendly. Although they didn't go over-board, they did explain the basics and get us checked in and checked out quickly and without any delays. Our bill was also accurate and complete without any issues.

We had a standard room with king sized bed and courtyard view. Room #123. The room upon entering was clean and tidy.

We liked the medium sized fridge that actually cooled things (as many units don't) and that we could put our own items (pop, water, etc) in there for storage during our time there. No mini bars to suck in your hard earned dollars.

Upon entering the room, there was an open space on the wall that contained a rack for hanging clothes and had an ironing board and iron and small luggage rack (no doors enclosed this as most hotels have - just an open space for this).

There was a small (and I mean doll house little!) bathroom with toilet/shower and then a separate area with sink and mirror across the way.

Besides the bathroom, the rest of the space was decent sized and roomy. There was a king sized bed, two side tables/lamp, armoire with t.v., desk/chair and side chair and ottoman. The furniture was in decent shape and my guess is it had been replaced in the last 2-3 years. Same with the carpeting, walls and curtains. We checked around and found that tables were wiped down well, the carpets appeared vacummed and the room smelled decent (not musty and moldy and some places do).

We called house keeping within 10 minutes of arriving and asked for more pillows, towels and another blanket (as we NEVER use the bedspread - most hotels rarely wash them and who knows what's all over these things!) The staff said there was only one person on staff for about two hours so, they would get there when they could. Fortunately, we only waited about 5 minutes and they arrived with all our requests. That was a a positive thing after being on the road and out all day.

We opened the curtains and looked out to the u-shpaed courtyard. It was pleasantly landscaped and had areas for sitting and relaxing. We had little time to enjoy this space but, it was nice to look at.

We did not get a chance to eat at the two restaurants there or vist the pool and sauna. We heard they are good but, I'd see other reviewers for accurate details here. The breakfast menu looked great and the prices very reasonable but, again...we were short on time so, didn't get to use this option.

Negative Points To The Hotel:

The landscaping on the sides of the building left lots to be desired. Most of the spruce trees were either dead or on their way to being dead - dried out, brown and loosing needles. The plants looked like they were in the desert and hadn't had water in a long, long time. So...curb appeal was lacking.

The doors and windows to the side entrances and hallways were dirty and smudged. I know it's not easy keeping these clean with traffic in and out but, impressions count. When we got there later in the day there was smudges of food and other stuff all over them, the door handle and it looked unappealing to enter.

The hallway carpets had dirt and some trash on our way to the room. Looks like house keeping could be attentive to follow up cleaning more than once a day.

The bathroom to our room was SMALL. Practically a joke. The bathroom contained a toilet and the tub/shower unit. Shut the door and you were in a 4' x 4' space at best. It felt stifling so, we always left the door open. Across the way was a sink, counter and mirror for use. The sink had drainage problems and took awhile to go down each time we used it. The shower in the morning kept going from hot to cold - unsure if that was the hotels way of silently telling you "hurry up...you are using too much water!".

The AC unit was disturbing. The room was hot when we got there. We turned up the AC to cool it down and then it got too cold. We turned it down but, couldn't seem to get a good temperature going - either too hot or too cold. The unit kept going on and off all night long and waking us up. We finally turned it off for the night and slept without blankets.

So........If you want luxury accomodations, consider other places. Over-all...the price was fair - $143.00 a night (including taxes) and the room sound. It seems the hotel staff have been making attempts to clean up the place, focus on service, improve room accomodations and amenities and it shows. They are on the move just like the city itself. If you are a budget traveler and looking for something solid, this would do. You get what you pay for and The Holiday Inn was appropriate for the price- perhaps 3 stars. I was glad there was more positives than negatives to this place. Nothing fancy but, you can at least get a comfortable, clean and decent nights sleep whether you are there for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank Bourdeaux
Reviewed March 12, 2006

We have stayed there for years. It used to be very nice. Now they keep the pool to cold for children to swim. The last time we stayed (February 2006) they rented us a jacuzzi suite knowing that the hot water for the room was not working. Their solution was to give us a temporary key to another room to shower in. They were not going to even attempt to fix the water heater.
The front desk is staffed by people who hear so many complaints that the don't even care if you are satisfied.
It speaks ill of Holiay Inn that they are allowing this place to use their name. Trust me, you will not find a worse hotel in the area.

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank Flyer34480
Reviewed February 26, 2006

We've stayed here dozens of times in the last 6 years, but now looking for a different hotel. Every time there was some small problem which they fixed when notified. A couple years ago they turned down the pool temp so that it's chilly. This trip it was downright cold. My kids who love swimming would not go in. In the morning our suite had NO hot water. We notified the desk and she was most impolite. We returned from breakfast around 9:30 and still no hot water, so we called again. The desk said they came to the room but we were out, so they left. Since when do guests need to be in the room for repairs? When the repair person returned, he gave us a key to a room on the other side of the hotel where we could shower and said the hot water had been out for a few days. They knew it when they gave us the room! I'm not picky, but this was the last straw.

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank Kzoo_mom
Reviewed September 26, 2005

Great experience. More than we expected. Randy Richmond is the new manager at this property and has instituted a policy of "you must be happy or that part of you stay is free". We stayed more than a week and were happy with everything. Great location, nice clean property, good food at Charlies Chop House. Nothing negative to report.

That is the summary. Now for some history. I have lived in the neighborhood of this hotel for over 60 years and have a history, mostly good, some bad and now the stay I would call great. We have retired to Arizona and returned for a week visit. They have updated the property and the loby is very impressive. I do like the location, just off of I-75 and so easy conncetions to all spots in the Detroit area plus Monroe and Toledo. They do pick you up from Det. Metro Airport and take you back. Locals eat at Charlies Chop House, so it is not "hotel" food. We ate there often when we lived there and did entertain in the restaurant as well. The pool was clean and refreshing, as was the hot tub, in fact the entire property was clean and well taken care of.

What impreessed me the most was the staff. EVERYONE was pleasant and made you feel welcome and they were glad that you were staying there. From check in to check out we had a good stay. I will go back every time I am in the Detroit area.

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank AZWhiteEagle
Reviewed March 7, 2004

My husband and I stayed at this hotel March 5, 2004 while on a business trip. We booked a jacuzzi suite at a discounted rate because our client had booked a block of rooms. At first, we were disheartened to see the condition of the hotel upon our arrival. It is currently completing major renovations, and the floor of the lobby was being put in as we checked in. We had to go through the restaurant and take a few detours to get to the rooms. Luckily, the rooms have been completed. Holiday Inn has really outdone themselves! The rooms are very pleasantly appointed with comfortable but elegant furniture and decor. Our room also included a microfridge unit, which was very handy. There was adequate workspace with Internet hookup. There was also a very large closet space with iron and ironing board. The bed was incredibly soft and comfortable. The jacuzzi was set back in a marble section of the room and surrounded by tall mirrors. It faced the TV. Plenty of towels were provided. The bathroom was quite spacious and had a shower with several different spray options. Free coffee was provided. The bathroom also had a decent hair dryer. My only complaint about the room was that you can't open the windows, and I like to air out my hotel room, especially after a shower. The hotel also has an Olympic-size swimming pool, gym, recreation area and jacuzzi. The jacuzzi pressure was like nothing I have ever experienced before! There was an "adult swim" time from 11 p.m.-12 a.m., and a security guard arrived right on time to kick the kids out. Something to be aware of is that Southgate is a city of one-way street with very few turn-arounds, so you may have to double back to hit the hotel entrance. But this is one of the best moderately priced hotels I have ever stayed in. I do recommend it.

9  Thank Swank