All reviewschop househot buffet breakfasthuge poolan on site restaurantlarge refrigeratorolder hotellovely propertyout of townersfull service hotelvolleyball tournamentpublic areasfront counterhotel breakfastbar and grillshower headdecent sizewould stay here again
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I live in Phoenix and have traveled to Michigan twice, staying at the Holiday Inn Southgate both times. Our first visit was essentially flawless; our second, not so.

The main issue (and apparently one for all to beware of) is young, hyper-active hockey players. According to hotel employees, these groups visit this hotel several times a year. The parents are the main problem (and dont realize it). The parents bring huge amounts of junk food (we personally saw this), feed the kids and then proceed to inebriate themselves in the bar or their rooms, letting the little hellions roam the hotel at will. So, picture a nice suburban motel (clean, modern with good facilities) with long hallways teaming with rampaging young hockey players. Relay races with much cheering and stomping). You get the picture. "Quiet hours" become meaningless. Apparently "quiet hours" start when the parents wish to pass out.

My wife called the desk twice, the last call at about midnight. Yes midnight. "Where the hell are the parents," I kept wondering. Nothing was really done. The only good thing was the rampaging monsters and their parental hungover accomplices checked out Sunday morning.

There is a bright side: hotel employees. These people, to a person, are friendly, respectful and like their jobs. (One interesting note: all employees we met have worked at the Southgate for a number of years) The front desk person Sunday morning was kind enough to refund our bar bill for our inconvenience. I thought this quite fair. She was also kind enough to store our bags behind the desk when some family dysfunction caused a glitch in our travel plans.

In summing up, this facility has a very very nice pool & spa area, great buffet breakfast (free on weekends), adequate rooms with fridge, big-screen TV, microwave, hair dryers and nice large shower/tubs. One room, ridiculously, has a hot tub right next to the bed. Also, a very nice restaurant and great bar top off the offerings.

Just remember to ask if the dreaded hockey players will be descending during your stay. If there is one improvement that can be made, its that Ms. Hartwig, general manager can look into some measures to instill in the stupid hockey player parents, the importance of the concept, "there are other people in the world." It's really quite mind boggling to think that rampaging kids in a hotel is acceptable behavior.

Room Tip: They're basically all the same.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Theresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear ScottO165,

Thank you for your resent stay at te Holiday Inn Southgate. Your business is greatly appreciated. Your feedback is also greatly appreciated. The comments about our staff were awesome. We pride ourselves on giving worlld class service to our guest. We take all of our guest concerns very serious. Since your last visit we have implemented a "Quiet Time" Policy. At 11:00pm all guest will be given only one warning for noise complaint, second complaint will result in eviction. We are asking all guest to have consideration for their neighbors. We have also outlined some public areas in the hotel where guest can congregate without disturbing others. All guest are given the same information when checking in. So for that last couple of weekends it has been working great. So I hope when you return To the Holiday Inn Southgate, your stay is as good as your first. Thanks again your taking time out of your day to give us your feedback.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The hotel itself has a nice lobby and very nice people working there. The big problem is they have a bar that stays open late and it produces very intoxicated laborers who cannot seem to leave their parties at the bar and must make as much noise as they can as they look for their rooms! Very disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear jeffh1952,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I was delighted to read your review and your very kind comments regarding the team here at the hotel and the facilities on offer. However, I would like to apologize for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I’ve stayed at this hotel multiple times during the years and I always have an excellent stay. I recently stayed this past week to attend a conference, and from the moment I arrived at the hotel everyone was happy to see you and willing to help.

When I walked in the front door of the property the front desk instantly acknowledged my arrival and welcomed me to the property. My room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I walked down to the lounge that night before heading off to bed and Mike in the lounge was great!

Breakfast was outstanding. Fresh hot food waiting for me on the buffet and Rebecca was great.
After I left my conference and was about two hours away, I realized I had forgotten a folder of work documents at the hotel. I called the hotel and Alexis was able to find my paperwork and I asked her to mail it to me (this was the only copy of the very important paperwork that I had). The next day the paperwork arrived at my office FedEx next day service. I was so shocked and so grateful for her service and help. GREAT JOB ALEXIS!!!

The entire staff at this hotel is amazing!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Theresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank You Mark, for your resent stay at the Holiday Inn Southgate. Your comments were greatly appreated. We very much pride oursleves on giving world class service to all of our guest. We will be sure to pass on your kind words to our staff. We truly appreciate your business.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Katie and Alexis made our stay very enjoyable and relaxing. They went out of their way to help us out of towners out find some good spots to eat and relax.

The rooms are bright, clean and well maintained. The stuff is very cheerful and helpful. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your comments on our hotel and the front deask staff. We really appreciate your business. We look forward to see you again when your in the Southgate area.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on business. The room was very clean. The bed was comfortable. The room had the bonus of a coffee maker, fridge, and microwave, which is why I generally stay at a Holiday Inn while traveling. There is a bar/lounge and a restaurant off the hotel lobby. I had a good hot buffet breakfast each morning. The wait staff were friendly and prompt. The hotel has a very large pool, small hot tub, and an exercise room, which I didn't have the time to use on this trip. Check in and check out were very efficient and timely. The staff throughout the hotel were friendly, courteous and professional.

My only complaints would be the lack of attention to detail. The wall paper was peeling above the door in the bathroom. When I took a shower, the water came out of the bathtub spout and the shower head at the same time. Even though I had the lever all the way over to "shower," water continued to come out of the bathtub faucet also. There were no plugs to be utilized at the bedside. I had to charge my phone and other devices at the desk across the room. Also, I was awakened several times by the sound of the furnace turning on in the night, even though I sleep with ear plugs. The room temperature was never consistently even. Some areas of the room, like near the window and the desk were cold, while it was warm near the bed and bathroom. I was in room 288 and could hear the expressway traffic as I worked at the desk. This also provided me with a view of the parking lot and the expressway. I would recommend an odd numbered room to place you more on the interior of the building and away from the traffic noise.

Room Tip: Ask for an odd numbered room to place you on the interior of the building away from expressway traffic noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Theresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thnak you for your feedback and your business. WE take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodtions. We are sorry your stay was less than satisfactory. We hope you give us a chance in the furture to show how great are hotel is. We will be remodling very soon. Thanks again for feedback!