WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield

Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Brooklyn, New York
“Nice hotel, more upfront disclosure needed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am a Priority Club member and have been for many years. I understand hotels needing to charge deposits for rooms/stays. I can tell you, I was really shocked to learn upon arrival that my ONE NIGHT'S STAY would require a $300 deposit. I have never had a room deposit that high and frankly, for an $80/night hotel, that is more than excessive. If the policy is to have such a high room deposit, be considerate of people traveling who intend to spend money at the casino or just eating good meals in Detroit to inform them when they make the reservation online of this high deposit. Finding that information out when you get to the check in desk is alarming to say the least. Outside of that, the room was beautiful, the staff was very friendly and the hotel was clean. No complaints about the accommodations, just the deposit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SCOTT S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Hi there! Thank you so much for your stay and taking the time to provide your feedback! We do take an authorization on a credit card in order to stay. This is an industry standard practice. My apologies you have never experienced such an authorization before. We do communicate this through our various booking channels. However, certain 3rd party booking sites not directly affiliated with our company do choose NOT to communicate this information. I apologize that they make this choice. As you mentioned, our staff is friendly and the rooms are beautiful. We have determined this authorization is necessary to ensure our rooms stay beautiful. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Southfield, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have just recently completed my 1 year stay with Candlewood Suites. I can say that I do not regret making the decision to stay here since day 1. The staff here is extremely friendly, sweet, kind, and helpful. Anytime I have had an issue from a noisy guest, my fridge, ac, to even housekeeping the staff have responded efficiently and immediately.
Everyone who stays at an extended living should have a car, that is a must. Nothing is walking distance, and if it is I don't think Southfield is the best place to be walking around as it is. As for delivery-Jimmy Johns, Chinese Restaurant on Telegraph Rd, and Dominos are the way to go.
After the renovations, the rooms have gotten a better look. They are modern, clean, and spacious. There is more desk space in the studio suite and there is a tv that takes up no room! The only not so great things are the comforters and pillows. They are not too comfy nor do they go with the new look of the rooms.
When I first came here, my main concern was safety. The staff is here 24/7 and that is one thing they all ensure. I do see a security van outside sometimes in the late hours of the evening as well.
I would definitely recommend this location to everyone, and have already done so to many of the new incoming guests. It is safe, convenient, spacious, modern, and super friendly. Everyone from the maintenance team to the front desk is friendly and efficient. They all are very nice people as well! It's been a pleasure to stay here and has given me a good experience for living in Michigan for the first time. :)

Room Tip: Having a room facing the main parking lot is better in terms of getting the most sunlight!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Shweta C
SCOTT S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hello!! Thank you so much for your feedback and for choosing to continue to stay with us. We greatly appreciate and you!!
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Candlewood Suites Southfield has taken the weekly stress of finding a hotel out of my life. all the rooms have been totally renovated. They are new right down to the towels and bedding. Always clean and comfortable. The staff is very helpful and friendly. Rooms have a kitchen and work desk area that are complete. I have stayed for six weeks and plan to continue.

Room Tip: Room # 140 is well located on the first floor
1 Thank Lawrence H
SCOTT S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback!!

We will see you next week!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel has recently been remodeled and features many comforts of home. The rooms are nicely laid out and the Kitchen area is adequately supplied (including free popcorn in the full size microwave!). There are no oders in either the public areas or the rooms themselves.

The table/desk area is very large and functions very well. The bathrooms are large and nicely lighted. Again, the counter area is very handy and allows you to lay out your toiletries and still of plenty of room without fear of pushing things onto the floor.

The complimentary laundry area is clean and well maintained. The workout room has an adequate amount of equipment and I have never had to wait to finish my workout routine.

In addition to the physical attributes to this hotel, the staff is GREAT! They are extremely nice and sincerely want to make your stay pleasant. Overal a very nice place to stay at a very reasonable price.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback!!

We appreciate your time and choice to stay with us!!

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights to get away. The hotel is made 4 people who stay a long time but it was very good for 2 nights too. I want to sell my house and live there.

I like the free laundry. I did all my laundry.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha D
Thanks so much! We appreciate your feedback and loved having you stay! See you soon!

Jerusalem, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel provides clean, well equipped suites and is especially good for those who are staying a long time or require a kitchenette. That having been said, that is about all it offers. Unlike the Staybridge properties of the same IHG group (Holiday Inn and others), there is no actual lobby, no breakfast area, and thus one spending time there has little to do other than stay in one's suite. One particularly annoying incident: I was unaware that there are trash receptacles at the end of each hall, and did what I usually do (apparently at better) hotels: I left an empty pizza box outside my room assuming it would be collected. At about 9:00 pm (not late, but I had gone to sleep early due to jet lag after a 12 hour flight) a staff member knocked loudly on my door, woke me up, and told me to please take the pizza box to the trash about 50 feet away. I think it would have been appropriate for her to take it to the trash and leave me a note for the future, but she not only woke me up, it was rude the way she informed me. I don't believe I would recommend this hotel in the future.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
SCOTT S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to review your most recent stay!! At Candlewood Suites, we pride ourselves on allowing our guests the freedom to be themselves. In researching the concept for the brand in the early 90s, it was determined a long term guest does not wish to have a large lobby, public interaction or to eat the same thing for breakfast everyday. Not to mention, they did not want to pay for these amenities. Instead, they wanted large, function suites with full size appliances to further the independence of their stay. Additionally, we furthered this research by recently completing a multi-million dollar renovation to include more guest room features our long-term guests were asking for. It sounds like our brand did not fit the particular short term needs of your recent stay.

We do ask our guests to not leave items in the hallways or do anything which would impede on the experience of another guest. Surely you can appreciate the impact of food being left in the hallway of a residence. I will definitely speak with our team regarding the way in which this message was delivered.
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I just completed a multi-night stay at the Candlewood Suites in Southfield. If you've never stayed at a Candlewood Suites, it is a mini-suite hotel meaning you get a full size fridge w/ freezer, microwave, and a range top along with all of the plates, dishes, silverware, etc.. that you would need. Some perks include free laundry service and a workout area.
The rooms at this hotel were literally just renovated and it shows. They were modern, clean, and comfortable, resembling IHG's more upscale Staybridge Suites Hotels. The bed was very comfortable although the pillows leaved a lot to be desired. The bathroom was well lit but the water pressure in the shower could have been better.
While the rooms were just renovated, it appears the rest of the hotel including the hallways is still undergoing its remodel. There were workmen everywhere. Being an extended stay hotel there were often random (and kinda sketchy) people just walking around the hallways. Not sure if they were workmen staying in the hotel, or guests, but it was a little unnerving.
One of the biggest disappointments is the hotels location. Being tucked into a little office park, there is nothing close by in terms of restaurants for dinner or breakfast. The hotel does not offer free breakfast, instead having a self-service "store" where they sell yogurt and nasty muffins for breakfast. There was a subway/donut shop 2 blocks away for breakfast. There is nothing walking distance for dinner, as I guess most guests cook themselves? I did see some local places offer delivery.
I think if I was in the area I would not stay again due to the location, but if I was looking for an inexpensive extended stay hotel, than this would be a good choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ChewInRI
SCOTT S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a thorough review of our hotel. We are happy to announce we are coming to the conclusion of our renovation process. Just a few odds and ends left however you probably wouldn't even be able to tell if you stayed tonight.

We can't wait to have you bank.

Thanks again!