“Hospitality is not a word this place knows”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Southfield
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I am a Hilton Gold Honors memeber.I have stayed at the Embassy Suites Hotel for 5 weeks out of 6 for business. Many of the rooms are old and in disrepair.I was put in a room that had something wrong with the window, as the wind howling through the crack kept me up all night.The next am there was water all along the sill and the wall . The rooms are older and not very clean anyways. In the next room There was a loud rap on my door(even though I had a do not disburb sign out) and 2 men from the staff stated there had been a complaint of the smell of smoke and asked me if I was smoking.I said," I dont smoke". He said I 'd like to step in" . I allowed him in.He sniffed my room and said ,"no Your not". And they left. I went down to the desk and told them I was horrified at the way the I was treated .That man stated well Maam when we have a report of maijuana we have to check it out! I said !
"what marijuana you were sniffing my room for maijuana"I said we are done here. The one manager called me back and said he didnt know if maybe there was an electrical proble? I said please dont even go there.Thats not what you said nor the man at the desk.He said,maam i am not going to let you impune my integrity. I said what I guess its ok to impune your guests integrity but lets not do the same to the manager? Needless to say hospitality is not one of their Ammenities!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
ESMGMT, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We've stayed many times at several Embassy Suites with our three children over the years and have always had good experiences. Be warned, this is a dirty, disgusting hotel that bears no resemblance to any Embassy Suites you've ever encountered. The furnishings in our room were filthy (stains, smell), aimless teenagers walking the halls on cell phones, filthy pool (band aids, barrettes, piles of unidentifiable substance in the hot tub), and we saw a prositution deal go down in the lobby. BTW, the beds (which were the only reason we were there due to a tired family on spring break road trip) were AWFUL. The breakfast was edible, but given the filth of everything else none of us really ate as it's all we could think about. Plus, the chair cushions in the dining area were all torn and stained.

Truly disgusting. I took the survey online after we got home but haven't heard anything since. It's shocking the Hilton brand would associate themselves with this dump. I'm sure it's a matter of time before this gets renamed the 'Southfield Suites".

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

I am terribly sorry that your experience at our hotel was disappointing. Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. All of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally apologize for the inconveniences that you went through during your stay. On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your feedback and are truly sorry we did not succeed creating a memorable experience for you. Should you desire to further discuss your visit, please feel free to contact me. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Service is awesome here. Some rooms have been renovated & the hotel has made some improvements. I have stayed here now for 7 years. Great people, great service, average rooms but very spacious. Bar drinks are good, but the bartenders frequently close down early. Food quality is hit & miss. Breakfast is awesome. Same cook has been there for 6 years. He does a fantastic job & does it quickly on cook to order omelettes.
Free weights are nice in fitness room, small but functional. Pool is very small but gets the job done for kids to play. Don't expect to swim laps unless your the only one in the pool.

Room Tip: rooms by elevator (such as #'s ending in 03-07 can be noticed from the living rooms when the din...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Loved this place. 15 minutes from downtown Detroit, staff was super friendly and our room was huge with two flat screen tv's in each room. They have a business center where you can work on the computer and free printing. The internet in your room is free, so is the parking and so is the breakfast buffet. The breakfast buffet at this hotel rivals the buffet in the Hyatt Regency in Downtown Atlanta. Extensive, omelet station, eggs and bacon, sausage, they include the works.

The elevators were never packed and there is always security walking around somewhere on the lower level. Let me be the first to say that the Detroit suburbs in no way shape or form resemble Detroit. You almost forget you're in Detroit. It's still a great city with plenty to do but it's neglect makes most of the city an eyesore to look at.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Will definitely stay here.....if i HAVE to come back! Stayed here for work. Only a mile from the office. The afternoon reception offers free snacks and free alcohol!! Check in took all of 30 seconds. Only issue was that the Discovery and History channels audio and video were out of sync and unwatchable. As a guy, these are my favorite channel. According to the other reviews, I had no issue with the room. The rooms were totally clean each afternoon when I came back in. No stale smell at all.

Room Tip: corner rooms are the best.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Bathroom's toilet paper holder was full of dusk and the toilet was filthy around the bottom of the toilet. It looked like it hasn't been cleaned for months. We found feces in the pool and reported the incidence at 10pm, the next day it was cleaned by noon. I don't think the pool's water is fully drained and sanitized.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I appreciate you selecting our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed with some issues at our hotel specifically regarding the cleanliness of our hotel. I am sorry that you found your bathroom to not be thoroughly cleaned. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. We strive on providing our guests with a clean and comfortable stay and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that his issue does not occur again. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guests experience and I will keep your review in mind. In regards to our pool, I can assure you that the hotel follows Michigan Health and Safety Regulations to the fullest lengths.

We do hope to have another opportunity to showcase our property to you.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The hotel is a little older, but the service and breakfast make up for the slight wear on some of the things in the room. We have stayed here on numerous occasions and always find the staff welcoming and helpful. In the past the weekends have been a bit noisier with kids running around, but the last time, though it was busy, the security people kept the noise in the halls under control and it was much better. We will most definitely stay here again. It is the best value we have found in the Detroit area for affordable stays.