“Good Service counts !”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Southfield
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Reviewed December 10, 2011

What a pleasant surprise. The embassy suites are off the main highway not too close to the center but, they made up for it with above standard service and a huge, fully-loaded suite that made my stay there very welcome and comfortable at under $100 a night including a well stocked bufe breakfast. The front dek checked me in swiftly and invited me for a cup of fresh coffee even though their restaurant was closed. Small but welcome gestures such as this make all the difference to me and, as a result, I highly recommend this establishment.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Southfield

Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a hockey tournament. The rooms were very nice (suites) and the hotel is clean and staff do a great job. Breakfast was included and very good - they have an omelette bar which was a nice extra. The restaurant was supposed to be open for lunch and wasn't, but they opened the kitchen when we asked. The only complaint we had was that the elevators were slow during busy times, and the stairwell only takes you to a door on level 1 that is a staff only door, so stairs weren't really an option.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2011

First of all, let me say, that I requested to be put in one of their newly renovated suites - and they were more than happy to do so. Glad I did, 9th floor, corner room and beautiful view. Hotel staff was very professional and courtesy. Breakfast was wonderful, all 5 days. Didn't get to attend the Manager's reception held nightly, was too busy sight seeing. The hotel recommendation for dinner was wonderful. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I have stayed here dozens of times over the last five years. The people are very good, with most being great ambassadors of the hotel/brand. Have seen the before/after on the remodel job (nothing impressive). This hotel gets lots of church and other events/meetings, so dont be surprised if you are overrun by some group during your stay. And while the location is ok and plenty of food options nearby, one fundamental problem exists....it's so close ot I-696 that the noise can be unbearable. Take for instance when I woke at 4am this week to the traffic noise and grudgingly got out of bed to ask for a quieter room because I could not fall back asleep. I was provided another on the other side of the building, but was surprised that it was just as bad! When I requested certain room numbers due to location (fatherest from I-696), he was unable to give them to me, but not because they were full, because they were not cleaned (which is another fundamental problem in this challenging economic period). All said, I checked out after one bad night and moved to the Westin (expensive, but quiet). Thanks to the Embassy Suites Southfield for the years of service, but I will not be returning.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Since we stayed in one of the recently renovated rooms, I wouldn't have the same complaints as some other people below concerning stained carpeting and old furniture. The suite we got was nice and spacious. Staff was attentive, in general. And this place has one of the best breakfasts! It can get pretty packed on weekends though, and then finding a table for breakfast can be quite challenging. And the pool! Oh, forget even thinking about using it in the summer, as it gets packed with screaming kids! But I wasn't particularly looking for some swimming time, so... Free parking is always good, but I wish we could get free wi-fi in the room, and not only in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms that has been renovated, and a higher floor to avoid the breakfast noise in...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on a recent trip to the Detroit Area, expecting a really nice stay at Embassy Suites (in most cities, this chain is one of the best). The first thing that really grossed us out was the dead rat (about 5-6" long) that was laying in the parking lot not far from where we parked. We were there for three days, and the rat was still there when we checked out (eww!!!!).

The room had a lot of stains in the carpet and on the walls. It looked as though someone had let their kids write all over the sofa with markers, and then no one at the hotel bothered to try to clean it at all. The pool was not open when we took the kids down. My personal favorite was when we tried to cash a $50 travelers cheque at the front desk. They had us sign the check (standard, OK), then sign some registry book of people cashing checks, and then they had to go through a bunch of other red-tape/bureaucracy garbage and kept us waiting for almost 10 minutes. Finally, I just said, "can you just give us our $50 and you can figure out all of the paperwork later?"

The website claimed they had two washers and dryers, and when we got there, there was only one of each. The breakfast was absolutely the WORST of all Embassy Suites that we've ever been to.

We filled out and returned the survey as soon as we received it, and to this day we have not received any type of response from hotel management. Based on our impression of this hotel, I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

I can't believe that this hotel is still a part of the Embassy Suite chain, this is NOT up to their typical quality. AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COST!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Gizmo311
Reviewed August 25, 2011

First the positives - Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was wonderful. The rooms were dirty, carpet and furniture stained. I am seriously thinking of changing from Hilton Honors to Westin Starwood Hotels Preferred Guest program. I used points for this stay and was not able to get a refund of my points - so I had to fulfill the stay. Never again!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southfield
Hilton Garden Inn Detroit-Southfield
Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit - Livonia/Novi
Detroit Marriott Southfield
Detroit Marriott Southfield
#7 of 20 in Southfield

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Southfield? Share your experiences!