“Glad I did not have to pay for this!!!”

Hilton Garden Inn Detroit-Southfield
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Reviewed March 29, 2007

Wow this hotel is aweful!!!! We drove in and wow lets fix some of the HUGE potholes!!!!! The check in was pretty normal. Now the room they are doing some renovations but the floors that are done nothing works in the room. They have a nice coffee pot and a fridge with microwave but a sign on them that says sorry you cant use due to no place to plug in. HAHAHA. The so called place where you eat!! If you go plan on spending about 1.5 hours on aweful food that costs way to much for what you get. And the breakfast that is normally free at 99% of other hotels costs 8$ wow. Our company will never go back to this hotel. Good Luck if you stay here. I will never.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Colaman2548

Reviewed January 9, 2007

I arrived at the hotel on a Sunday evening. The first room they sent me to was a mess. The bed covers were in piles on the bed and the bathroom had not been cleaned from the previous guests. When I called the front desk, they offered me another room. That's great, except for the second room had a defective fire alarm and it kept going off. When I called, they sent the maintenance man to come check it who could not find anything wrong with it. It went off a few more times before I went to sleep, then about every 15 minutes after 3:30am. The next morning, on my way to my business meeting, I stopped at the front desk to ask them to please have it fixed before I got back that evening or that I would need another room. When I got back that evening, they had no idea whether it had been fixed or not. About 15 minutes after I arrived in my room, the alarm starting going off again. I called the front desk. They seemed very annoyed with me. Imagine that I would be upset that I would NOT be getting any sleep for a second night in a row! They offered me a smoking room. I told them that I could not have a smoking room. I asked if there was anything else they could do for me and they said in a very facetious tone that the manager would not be in until the next day around 10am. They sent maintenance again who then proceeded to replace the face place with 2 other defective parts and hung out in my room for 1.5 hours. At 2am, the alarm started going off about every 15-30 minutes. Needless to say, I was very upset the next morning when I checked out. The front desk attendant offered to take my information so that the manager could call me when she got in. At 4:00, when I had not heard from her, I called and left her a message asking her to return my call. Big surprise, I still haven't heard from her. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Raleigh_Traveler07
Reviewed October 28, 2006

Hotel is undergoing complete makeover. It's dumpy and dusty right now. Very few staff on hand, not a hotel that I would choose for a family get-away, geared toward business folks. Restaurant appears to be short staffed, I walked out. I wont return to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2006

We stayed here for a night in the early part of may in 2006. The room was nice with the usual 3 star amenities. We liked the extra pillows and comfortable beds. But we were surprised to not find a refrigerator in the room.

Anyway what i want to write about happened at about 10 pm on 5/5/06:

I approached the front desk and patiently waited while the receptionist was on the phone. After about five minutes, a lady (hotel guest) came and stood next to me and also waited while the receptionist was still on the phone. We both waited for about 3 minutes but what happened next really INFURIATED me. This receptionist put her caller on hold, took care of the lady that had come after me, and not so much as even acknowledged that i was standing there waiting for what had come to be 10 minutes by now. This receptionist just went back to her telephone conversation, hunched behind the counter as if hoping that I would just disappear into the night! She did not say a word to me. She just totalIy ignored me.

I hate to say it but of the three persons in this encounter, I was the only NON-WHITE present. I have stayed in numerous hotels all over the country and this is the first time that this has ever happened to me.

I have to say that I am very disappointed.

On a brighter note, the afternoon receptionist earlier that day was very helpful to arrange for a refrigerator to be brought to our room. And also to transfer us to a "non-smoking" room.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank mrgoodadvice
Reviewed July 23, 2005

Business park setting not conducive for exploring neighborhood. Room was clean, comfortable, roomy, nice desk and usual amenities. Loudest door jams I've ever experienced! (Loud hotel door jams are one of my pet peeves...can't someone invent a door jam that doesn't shake your bed when someone down the hall comes "home" at 2am!) Since it was a suburban hotel free parking was nice but longer walk to entry than most places. Food was fairly good, but service was spotty. Three of four breakfasts were "on the house" because of slow service. "Business office" was tiny and dripping water my last evening there. Exercise room was small and uninspiring. For (business) convenience sake I would stay here again but you'll likely go home with no memorable moments.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank 53211Don
Reviewed December 14, 2004

As someone who has stayed in numerous hotels in the Detroit vicinity, I have to give this one an above average score. That is mainly because most Detroit establishments, no matter what the good or service (and I use the term very loosely), are subpar compared with most other large cities in the country.

I stayed there through the weekend of June 18, 2004. My room was very clean and orderly upon check-in. I thought the furnishings were quite nice. The hotel facilities are very well stocked, clean and accessible. The staff was very friendly and helpful - even in the middle of the night. All in all, expect for the Westin, this was the best hotel of this category I have ever stayed in near Detroit.

To be fair, I must mention that in addition to having experienced numerous subpar "3 and 4 star" hotels in the area, thanks to Priceline I only paid a total of $30 per night for my stay at this hotel. I would imagine that if I were silly enough to pay $150 or more per night for a hotel my expectations might be more extreme.

5  Thank World_Quest
Reviewed September 18, 2004

I travel to the Detroit area on business about one week out of the month. I would always stay at the Hilton Southfield. I would say that I stayed at this hotel for about a years time.

The hotel is okay. It needs updating but the staff is pretty nice. The rooms are okay, nothing special and the food is also okay.

I had my car vandelised one night while staying there. When I brought it to the the attention of the manager, he was not very responsive. He told me he know there were problems and they have a security guard on site. I got no credit or no apologies for what happened.

Ever since the incident, I have never stayed here again. I would not recommend due to safety.

13  Thank ildianne1