“Beware of the Owner!”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
cleveland
“Beware of the Owner!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I like this hotel. Unfortunately a recent bad experience with the owner may keep us away. Our vacation called for 4 days at this hotel, 3 days in Stratford, ON, then 3 days back at the Quality Inn. Shortly after leaving the Inn, we found that the credit card we had used to hold the hotel during our first stay had been compromised. Of course we were reluctant to use another card when we came back for our second stay. The general manager was very understanding. Although he couldn't take a check, he understood our reluctance to use our card and indicated we could check in, go to the bank on our way out to dinner and a play, and pay when we returned or in the morning. We were in the room getting ready for our evening, when we got a call from the front desk. The clerk was asking when we were going to pay. I tried to explain the situation and what the general manager had told us. All the while I could hear the owner yelling in the background that we had to pay now or get out.This was such a shock, because the general manager had been so accommodating. I'm afraid, I got very upset and ended up swearing at the owner on the phone. He then went ballistic. We came down to the desk. By this time I had calmed down, but he hadn't. He called me a wh***, a b****, a gambler (because we said we were in Canada? ) and a scam artist - all this in front of other customers. We told him we had stayed and paid for that stay just three days earlier. He wasn't listening. He threatened to have our belongings thrown in the trash. He called the police. He continued his tirade, including calling my husband and I names, while we waited for the police to arrive. He insisted that we take our things out of the room. We waited him out. Perhaps because we mentioned TripAdvisor or because my husband told him he would sue him for slander, or because we told him we would contact ChoiceHotels, he finally calmed down. We still had to go out immediately to cash a check and bring back the money before continuing our evening, which was pretty much ruined. Perhaps we should have moved on to a different hotel, but I guess we both wanted to show him we were not "deadbeats" or "scam artists". I hope the ownership changes, so that we can stay here again, but, I know I never want to encounter this man again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank magicarpet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here many times over the past few years. This motel offers good value for the money. Never any unexpected surprises and the breakfast selection is good. Staff have always been helpful and pleasant and for the money, I recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2013
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

The young man at the front desk seemed genuinely happy to see me. He was quick and efficient. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to get a room near an entrance as I had requested when I reserved my room online. Overall, the room was clean although the chair had some stains on it. The water gets extremely hot so do be aware of this and take care if traveling with children. Great value for the price.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank TWorkTraveler
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here using the Groupon package. $100 for jacuzzi room, bottle of "champagne", roses, and chocolates. The room wasn't huge but was clean and seemed well-kept. No strange smells or anything of the sort. Jacuzzi tub was clean and worked well; bathroom was clean. Bed was actually SUPER comfortable. Our room however was on the first floor and next to a fairly busy road; it was fine later at night but early morning when people started to commute it was noisy. The "champagne" is a cheap bottle of sparkling white (but to be expected), Dove chocolates thrown all over the bed (so good!) and the roses were one rose and a couple of carnations. We had a good stay overall and would definitely go back again if it were through Groupon for the jacuzzi room. List price on Groupon for this room is $210 - definitely wouldn't pay that but overall not a bad time at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Fiance' and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend, using the romance package from Groupon. It was my birthday. When I walked in the room I thought it was nice and cozy. Candy/flowers on bed and champagne on night stand and jacuzzi. He went to restroom flushed and oh my. It was stopped up. Fiance' called down to front desk to let them know about the problem. They told him there was no one there to fix the problem. But they would give him a plunger. Because the 2 guys at the front desk were busy waiting on customers. What the? We figure we would go to dinner and the problem would be taken care of. But when we got back the water in the toilet was low. So he flushed and spillage everywhere. Out the restroom onto the carpet in bedroom. He went to front desk again. Only then were we given another room. There was a different guy there at front desk. No manager there at all. Not even the next morning. Could have been a great weekend.

Room Tip: Check out room/flush toilet before you pay.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flower1229

Travelers are raving about these Southfield hotels

Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

The bathroom was awful. The tub had mold both inside & out the walls and ceiling had peeling paint, and there was an unused light fixture. The bedroom area was clean and the lobby is nice. The bathrooms REALLY need work.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank TWorkTraveler
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed for one night and was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and well-appointed. The bed was comfortable. The lobby was inviting. An excellent value for the money. The hotel is located right next to a coney island restaurant and within 2 minutes of several other restaurants, which was good for me since I wasn't familiar with the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business