“Met my expectations”

The Westin Southfield Detroit
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Reviewed July 31, 2010

When I booked this hotel, I expected to find an upscale room with quality accommodations and exceptional service. I wasn't overwhelmed with my experience, but I wasn't disappointed with what I received.

Cost: I used Priceline to secure this hotel at half its advertised rate. I don't think the value I received is worth the hotel's retail rate, but it was certainly worth the rate I paid.

Staff: The staff was accommodating, but not overwhelmingly friendly. There were three women working the front desk and conversing when we arrived. It took them several minutes to end their conversation and greet us. And although the lobby and desk were completely empty, the staff treated us very hurriedly -- almost as if we were imposing. To be clear: they weren't unfriendly or unprofessional, but they were not up to the standards I've come to expect from Westin.

Housekeeping woke us up with a knock around 8AM. This is the earliest I've ever been disturbed by housekeeping staff. I'd highly recommend the "Do Not Disturb" sign regardless of how early you plan on rising.

Public Areas: The lobby was very spacious and accommodating. We didn't utilize any of the in-house food/drink options, so I can't attest to the service.

Room: Although Starwood has clearly invested considerable resources to help the rooms feel synonymous with other Westin properties, the Southfield location didn't have the same polish I've come to expect from other Westin rooms. The room felt older and less impressive than I've experienced at other Westins. Additionally, the air conditioning was struggling to keep the air cool. We left the thermostat set to 60-degrees (as it was when we arrived), but the room was barely comfortable. We had to sleep without covers.

Parking: I chose the Southfield Westin over the DTW property because of the complimentary parking. We parked alongside the hotel without difficulty. Additionally, there's a garage that seemed to offer plenty of space.

Summary: I would definitely stay here again. The hotel was convenient and the bed was comfortable. But there are several opportunities for this hotel to bring itself up to the standards held by other Westin/Starwood properties.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim_Nanners_69
southfieldhotelman2, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2010

Thank you for your gift of feedback. While we met your expectations, it is our goal to exceed our guests excpectations. I would like to learn more about your stay. Please contact me at 248-827-4000 x6519. Thank you for staying at The Westin Southfield.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

The hotel is gorgeous and we enjoyed our stay. We did however experiene a problem, I booked through the Hotel.ca site and I booked a room with two queen beds. When we got to the room there were only two double beds. We called the front desk and we were told there were not queen bed accommodations in the hotel. Although the bed would be very comfortable to the average guest, we had an uncomfortable sleep as my husband is 6'9". Also, I found a less expensive option for the room+breakfast+internet on the hotel's website after booking the non-refundable room on the Hotel.ca site. We travel to Southfield frequently and we would stay at this location again if the hotel would guarantee queen beds.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
southfieldhotelman, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2010

Thank you for the gift of feedback regarding your recent visit noting "the hotel is gorgeous and we enjoyed our stay". At The Westin Southfield Detroit we pride ourselves in taking care of our Guests. I did notice there was some confusion regarding your reservation made on a third party website. We would be happy to rectify this in the future. Please contact our Front Office Manager Jason Nelson at jnelson@westinsouthfield.com with specifics and he will resolve the situation. We are looking forward to seeing you again when you are in the Detroit area.

Reviewed July 6, 2010

Stayed here over nite for a pleasure trip. Very nice hotel. There was one odd thing. When we booked the room, and gave our Sheraton Rewards account, the reservationist upgraded us to the club floor. The only problem, when we checked in, we discovered that there was, in fact, no "club floor" amenities. It was just a regular floor with no club lounge, or other facilites.

Hmmm, kind of strange...

Otherwise, a first rate establishment..

Dave.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you for the gift of feedback and referring to The Westin Southfield Detroit as a first rate facility. I apologize over the confusion regarding our executive level rooms. Although we don't have a club lounge we do provide upgraded in room amenities such as complimentarty bottled water and additional bath amenities. I will reinforce this difference with our call center so future Guests aren't affected. We are looking forward to a repeat visit when you are in the Detroit Area in the future.

Reviewed June 24, 2010

The staff was very welcoming and helpful. Everyone from the front desk to the restaurant staff was quite friendly and accommodating - my favourite character was the omelet guy at the breakfast bar...always smiling and happy to see us! Oh, and great coffee there too - I'm fussy about coffee, so their brew made for a pleasant morning.

The weekend special was found on their website as $89 per night that included internet (in-room plug-in connection) and buffet breakfast (pretty good with lots of fresh fruit, cereals, etc and the usual eggs, bacon, etc...and omelet bar). We felt that this special was particularly good, and so thought it a great value. Though there was a restaurant, we only didn't eat any other meals besides the breakfast.

When our little kid saw on the website that they offered children a kids package upon arrival (a package of kiddie things), but they were out when we checked....resulting in a saddened kid :-( BUT the front desk countered that dampened enthusiasm and offered up a free Disney movie to put a back smile on their face! :-) I'm glad that they rescued that one...whew!

The pool is nice, but it's only three feet deep, so no diving or cannon balls. Our child loved
it, as they could stand everywhere in the pool. It was surprisingly warm, and so was the jacuzzi, but enjoyably so.

Comfortable beds and super-clean bathroom. Not an inspirational room, but definitely clean and fully updated. Nice lobby with spacious sitting areas and a lovely fountain. There's plentiful garage parking too (we didn't do the valet that's available). I'd assume that the place is hopping busy with conferences too, as there's multiple meeting rooms and ballrooms.

We'd stay again if there was another "deal" weekend.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
southfieldhotelman2, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2010

I am glad you found our Weekend Special at The Westin Southfield a great value. I apologize for not having the Kid's Club bag available and will share your comments accordingly. It was nice to see the quick thinking of our front desk to offer up a Disney movie. I am sure we will have more weekend specials and look forward to your return.

Reviewed June 23, 2010

The Southfield Westin is like every other Westin I've stayed at, excellent quality for the money. Getting a great rate on Hotwire made it an even better value.

The beds are as comfortable as any hotel bed I've ever had. The soundproofing is excellent and the drapes keep out all light, so you can really sleep well. The room is nicely furnished with a medium size flatscreen TV, a loveseat/fold out bed, a good size desk and lots of countertop space. The decor is muted beige and browns, with sepia colored prints, all very soothing and low key. The bath has a double headed shower, although rather low (about 5' 6") with the usual amenities including a hairdryer, iron and ironing board.

The restaurant feels more like a breakfast area without much style, but the food is good quality and reasonably priced. The hotel has a superb location, being right at an entrance ramp to the freeway and half a block from an exit ramp. Unfortunately, I was not able to find any sit down restaurants in the area although there was a strip mall of fast food restaurants (Chinese, sub shop, Tim Hortons, Mexican, etc.) just a block away. The hotel is in an office park surrounded by mainly residential areas. A very nice touch is the free parking garage attached to the back of the hotel although it could have had clearer signage on how to exit the garage.

Service was friendly and efficient although I didn't have any problems or needs, so I didn't require much in the way of service. All in all everything was just fine at this four star hotel which is the only four star hotel in the Southfield area. It is a very comfortable and convenient place to stay and would be my top choice in the Southfield area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo

Thank you for the nice feedback about The Westin Southfield. I am pleased that our convenient location, great staff and facilities met your expectations.

Reviewed June 16, 2010

Sometimes, when customer service is so good it often gets overlooked. I try to make an effort to note when the service is above and beyond the ordinary, as it is at the Westin Southfield, the service deserves special mention.

When I checked into the Westin Southfield it was after a very long day and I was exhausted. I entered the hotel in a tired daze, said my name to the person behind the front desk and was quickly given my key for the room and told me I had king size bed and asked if there was anything I needed at the moment, I said I was tired and just needed some rest and was told that if there was anything I needed to be sure and call the front desk, the person gave me her name and told me that I could ask for her personally and she would make sure I was assisted so that my stay was as pleasant as possilble. How often do you get that level of customer service? I'm going to guess that the answer is not enough.

I like the fact that you need to use your key card to operate the elevator. Some people may find this to be nuisance but it is an extra level of security which makes good sense.

Arriving at the fourth floor, I noticed that everything was so spotless and very tasteful. I just felt like I was in a classy hotel and when I opened the door to my room, I knew that this hotel was a gem. The room was beautiful. The room didn't have that generic hotel room vibe but instead looked like it had been put together by a designer and with good taste. It felt every bit like a 4 star hotel.

Wonderful bed. Great linens. A wide selection of pillows (from soft and mushy to firm). Flat screen HD television with a decent selection of HD stations. A spacious desk. Very nice bathroom, decent sized tub, good lighting.

My room overlooked the highway which passes in front of the hotel. I've read some complaints that this is a drawback because of the highway noise, but I was on the fourth floor and couldn't hear the cars at all. In fact I found the view fascinating. I've stayed at a number of hotels and have had views of empty lots, an air shaft, and I once stayed in a room that had no window at all. I found the highway to be extremely peaceful. From the bed I could see the car lights as they moved along the highway, it was like watching neon water flow down a stream. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Every Westin employee I encountered said good morning or evening, asked if I needed any assistance. And this, surrounded by a stylish building, fine decor, it all gave a feeling of what real class is and how things ought to be. I have always thought that it much easier to be pleasant and helpful than surly or detached. The people at the Westin Southfield have figured this out as well.

Ample parking is available for free, right in front of the hotel, plus there is a huge lot behind the hotel; you will not want for parking. The hotel LAN connection is a pay-for-use link, but the wi-fi is free and while the signal faded once or twice, on the whole is was good (could be better, but that is my only complaint.)

There are lots of restaurants nearby, many within walking distance and the area feels safe. I walked around and felt very comfortable.

If you are going to Detroit for business or for pleasure. The Westin Southfield is a smart pick. There are some fine hotels in downtown Detroit but there is no parking downtown so you have to use the valet services, an extra expense. The Westin has easy access to Detroit, a 15 minute drive downtown and like I said, you are just off the highway. Very convenient.

This is a 4 star hotel that deserves its stars. A class act all around. Luxurious, comfortable, convenient and doing business the way it should be done.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Jonathan42
southfieldhotelman2, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2010

WOW...what great comments about The Westin Southfield. Thank you for the generous feedback. I will be certain to share these wonderful comments with my team. It's comments like yours that inspire us to continue to push to be the best hotel in Southfield.

Reviewed June 14, 2010

We were in the Southfield area helping a family member relocate, and had to quickly grab a room for the night.
Chose this hotel because it was close, had very easy access from the freeway, and was in a safe area.
Check in was unbelievable fast and very friendly. Parking was a breeze, and it was free too!
Our room was decorated with warm and homey colors and accents. It was surprisingly spacious, and comfortable. Once you closed the door, the outside world disappeared.
The bathroom was large, and the duel headed shower was to die for!
I cannot say enough good about our experience here.
YES! We will stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your gift of feedback about your recent stay at The Westin Southfield. I am pleased to hear you found the property easy to navigate, convenient and provided the comforts you come to expect from a "4" Diamond hotel. I look forward to your return.

Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southfield
Comfort Suites Southfield
The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
The Townsend Hotel
The Townsend Hotel
#1 of 2 in Birmingham

Been to The Westin Southfield Detroit? Share your experiences!