“Below average Westin - disappointing”

The Westin Southfield Detroit
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Westin's are great -- usually. NOT this one. The staffing has been cut so much that at times it seems like they have closed. When trying to check-in at 9 pm (really not that late according to business travel standards), there was only one staff person at the front desk -- but not for 5 minutes. He was down the hall. Nice but where do you find him? And as he welcomed me back (I stay here frequently but had not been there in a year), he told me about their renovations (ONLY in the lobby) and their new flat screen tv's. But upon entering the room it was clear that the renovations did NOT include anyting else in the room. Room service breakfast reminded me of the very below average Holiday Inn. It was late and even though specifically requesting berry jelly, only grape was brought. While I am sure some readers will think - how spoiled is this reviewer - but when you pay $199 per night plus over $20 for local taxes, and when you consider this is a Westin, you do expect more. And, moreover, when you are in a hotel 4 nights each week, and you do earn significant frequent "sleeper" status at some chains, you do expect more. This Westin did not deliver more. Next month when I return to the area, I will try the Marriott up the road

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed September 24, 2009

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I attended a wedding there and was awed by the beautiful atrium. In addition, the staff was friendly and handled out needs flawlessly. The rooms were large with very comfortable beds and flat screen televisions. They had a gym on the premises and a very good restaurant. It's rare to find this type of luxury at a reasonable price. It's one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2009

The hotel was wonderful. It appeared that they had recently remodeled. The 12th floor room was clean and beautiful. The staff was courteous and helpful. Considering the nightly rate of $99, this is an exceptional deal. I would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I was not traveling for pleasure, but strictly for business. I went on Priceline and bid $75 per night for a 4-star hotel in Southfield and the Westin accepted my bid. It would be positively churlish for me to complain!
I stayed for 4 nights and it suited my needs to a "T", with a large, comfortable room, 24-hour business center with free internet-connected computers, free faxing and printing, etc. (However, be forewarned that internet access in your room for your laptop will cost you $14.95 per day.) The hotel restaurant, Tango, is adequate, but not special. The staff is courteous and helpful.
Bottom line: Would I want to stay pay $170-$210 per night to stay here on vacation with my wife? - No, I would not, but for a business traveller looking for a good place that is well suited to business needs at a very reasonable price, it is a good deal (especially at $75 per night!).

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed at the Westin in Southfield recently -- booking a room, on a weeknight, through Priceline for $59. Needless to say, it was an incredible value for the price. (I doubt you could even get a published rate of $60 at too many hotels in metropolitan Detroit.)

The room was very, very nice -- with a large LCD television, roomy closet, comfortable bed, and sleek styling.

On the downside, Priceline reservations normally come with a double bed, but all they had was a queen -- a disappointment, as I was traveling with a colleague. The other downsides were a $14 per day charge for internet and a small swimming pool.

The location was superb; and was about 20 minutes from Troy or Novi -- where many of the shopping malls are located.

The Westin itself is located around numerous office buildings and was probably built for that market. I suspect Michigan's struggling economy has taken a tole on their business hence the unbelievably low rate through Priceline. Even though I stayed during a week -- when the hotel should be full of business travelers -- it seemed rather quiet and empty.

Overall, this is a great hotel though I am unsure of the published rate. I would definitely suggest Priceline.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I just returned and overall, I would give the experience a B-.

First, we were overcharged for our room during check in. While I made the reservation on Starwood's web site and received an incredible deal, the front desk charged us nearly $150 more and could not find the correct code to apply the savings. Thankfully, we printed our confirmation and she made a copy of it and resolved the cost, with an apology. Secondly, the high speed connection in my room did not work. The tub was clogged so I showered with water around my ankles. Finally, I was surprised by how small the junior suite was. The woman at the front desk warned me that there was no room divider which was fine. I was just taken aback because the size of the suite was comparable to a "regular" room at most Sheratons. I think the photos on their web site misrepresent the true size of the suite.

The staff overall is quite helpful and knowledgeable. The room service is absolutely splendid. We enjoyed both dinner and breakfast in our room and despite the hotel hosting several large events we received our meal in a timely fashion both times. The hotel is trendy with new furniture and accents throughout. I found the location to be quite convenient. It's right off the highway. We didn't do much exploring but there's a Starbucks, TGIFridays and other fast food restaurants within a two to three mile radius.

Watch out for that $2 telephone fee.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Stayed for 3 nights during a business trip. Traveled all over Detroit and though this was a little out, it was easy to get around. It is about 40-minutes from the airport and 25-minutes to downtown.

The hotel is part of a business park and a little confusing to get too due to the traffic situation. Check-in is easy. Not that busy in Detroit area these days. I use Priceline extensively to bid and got 2-rooms for $75/night. Very good deal.

The rooms were well appointed and large. There were some cleaning issues in the restroom, but only the first day. The room overall was very clean. Best beds in the hotel industry.

workout room was great. New machines and not busy. Pool was great too.

Did not like breakfast buffet. Food was stale and had sat around too long. next morning ordered off of menu and it was great. Ruths Chris Steakhouse is just down the street. Fantastic little Thai restuarant in a strip center near the hotel that was an awesome find.

Did not have to pay for parking. I self-parked in the building next door and was an easy walk. Good way to safe a few sheckels

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business