“Nice for the area”

The Westin Southfield Detroit
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I didn't have much time to really check out the hotel as my delayed flight had me arriving just after 2am. I was surprised and frustrated that there was a line to check in at this time and the front desk person did not seem to be any rush to expedite the process. The room itself was nice, but needed some maintenance (one phone didn't work, a light bulb was out, etc.)

There were two saving graces. First, they have a minimal late night menu so I was at least able to grab a quick bite in my room while getting ready for my morning meeting. Second, there were two very helpful gentlemen in the valet department. When I walked in at 2am after finally finding the place even with GPS, the guy cleaning up the lobby offered to valet park my car and was so nice about it. He was also the person who brought up my sandwich incredibly fast 20 minutes later. The next day I forgot to call down in advance for my car, but another valet still had it waiting out front by the time I got off the elevator.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

It’s nice to hear that our Associates were able to assist you during your stay as we wish for all our guests to have a renewing and well-rested experience while at The Westin Southfield Detroit. We apologize for any inconveniences you encountered and will be sure to have your room inspected for any fixes that may need to be attended to. Thank you for reaching out to us and we hope to be able to welcome you back for the refreshing experience you expect from us. Stay well.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I am very glad I chose Westin, Southfield for last month's stay-cation. With a couple of minor, yet resolved issues, I enjoyed a very enjoyable, quiet, and comfortable stay. Check in/out was quick and convenient. I stayed in a beautiful, cozy, corner suite on the 9th floor. Thank you Westin for the upgrade. I received a card and complimentary refreshments from management the evening of my arrival "Thank you", I really felt as though my business was appreciated. My guest and I enjoyed the pool and and other amenities including the restaurant and bar. I initially booked the room for two nights, however I enjoyed my stay so much that I chose to stay another evening.

If you chose to stay at the Westin, I can guarantee that you WILL experience the most restful evenings you've ever had. I will be returning very soon :)

Room Tip: Be sure to notify the concierge if you are ordering delivery. Our guy had to wait a little minute. I...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

At The Westin Southfield Detroit, we absolutely strive to create an exhilarating experience for each of our guests, with the hopes that they will be inspired to return, and it seems we met that goal with you. Your kind words and vote of confidence give us great encouragement and we thank you for allowing us to contribute to your getaway. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back and until then, be well.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Had a great stay recently at the Westin Southfield. It was a special treat because I had worked on the construction of the hotel just out of University in the mid-80s.
The public spaces are inviting and well appointed.
Reception was friendly and helpful.
Rooms are pretty standard for Westin and great beds are to be expected, and they delivered.
Spacious bathroom.
There is parking outside the hotel, but when busy you'll likely end up in the garage behind the hotel.
We were towing a trailer so had to park in an alley between the hotel and garage. Very helpful doorman helped me to find this hidden area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

On behalf of the entire Westin Southfield Detroit team, we offer our sincerest thanks for your kind words. Knowing that our efforts made your experience at our hotel one worthy of your great review makes us smile. It must have been a real pleasure to see the efforts of your work and have an opportunity to enjoy the hotel as a guest. Thank you for taking the time to share your story and we look forward to greeting you again soon. Be well.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Had to stay over the weekend for a funeral. The hotel is nicely decorated along with the rooms. The breakfast buffet was well stocked with variety and the wait staff attentive. I found the hotel staff helpful and very much up to the Westin standard. My weekend stay was very peaceful given my circumstance. I would definitely stay here again if I am in the Southfield area again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Learning that your stay at The Westin Southfield Detroit provided you with a comfortable retreat during a trying time makes us happy. We wish for all our guests to leave feeling well-rested and refreshed and our Associates work very hard to provide the utmost care. Thank you for sharing your experience and for your kind compliments; we look forward to greeting you again in the future. Be well.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here about a dozen times when I was working in the Detroit area over the last year. This is a consistently high quality experience, one that contributed to my switch to Starwoods from Marriott.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Your review has certainly made us smile! We’re very pleased that your experiences over the past year at The Westin Southfield Detroit have provided you with a comfortable and rejuvenating retreat during your business trips to the area. It would be our pleasure to continue to welcome to our hotel and we are grateful for your gift of feedback. Be well.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Upon arrival was surprised to see trash including empty liquor bottles scattered over the parking lot. The staff was just ok. The room was stuffy and smelled musty and stale. The bed was comfortable but carpet was dirty and furniture was old & worn. This property has seen betters day and is need of an update. Feels more like a 2 -3 star hotel with the Westin name. When we returned to the property on Saturday evening thought we were at a nightclub!! Was surprised to see SO many people coming/going into the hotel. They were going to the hotel bar which was loud & crowded & seemed like a nightclub! Didn't feel safe departing/returning to property at night.

This property is managed by another company & is just not up to Westin standards. For the price was disappointed SPG member. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Alexiaann
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are just a bit perplexed by your review and also concerned by your comments. We are most certainly a Westin property through and through and do regret if your experience did not meet your expectations. We take our guests comfort and care very seriously and would have appreciated hearing your concerns while you were here at the hotel, when we could have helped with any issues. Your experience was certainly not what we aim to create for our guests and for that we do apologize. Stay well.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Not a lot of good choices in Southfield it seems, but hoped the Westin would be better because of the higher rates than average. Overall, the foundation of the hotel is good (i.e., room away from highway was quiet, beds are comfy) but room wasn't well maintained (bathroom light out, table lamp plug didn't work, wallpaper peeling a bit), location isn't close to any amenities, and the bar is pretty basic.

So, would stay again but only until better choices come along.

• Stayed: June 2013
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

We do appreciate your gift of feedback and wish that your recent stay had been more enjoyable. We are happy to read that you enjoyed a rejuvenating night’s sleep, but are disappointed that your accommodations did not exceed your expectations. Our Maintenance Associates will promptly look into any repairs needed in your room and we appreciate you pointing these issues out to us. We would hope to be able to regain your trust with a future stay and thank you for your review. Be well.