“Very nice hotel with a great staff”

The Westin Southfield Detroit
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business for my first time in Detroit. It was a beautiful hotel, clean, nicely kept and the staff was so nice. Everyone went out of their way to help me out. It was a short taxi ride to restaurants and the restaurant bar inside was pretty good. I felt safe at the hotel and would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: May 2013
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

How wonderful to hear that your recent stay at The Westin Southfield Detroit was so satisfying. We strive to give our guests the most exceptional experience each and every time and hearing that you received gracious service from our Associates makes us very happy. Please come and stay with us again soon and until then, be well. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I've been staying in this hotel almost every single week for a year now, and I have had an amazing stay for almost every single stay. When I walked in the door Adam greeted me and was able to help me with my bags and give me directions around the local area. The person at the front desk was also extremely helpful and upgraded me to a suite.

Room Tip: The corner rooms that end in 01 or 43 are the biggest ones.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

It has been our pleasure to have you stay with us at The Westin Southfield Detroit throughout the past year and we hope to continue providing you with the outstanding service you have come to know so well. Thank you for taking the time to share your gift of feedback with us and for being our valued guest. We will be sure to mention your kind comments to our Associates as it will make their day. Be well.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were staying at the Westin for a convention and my company had a booth in one of the halls. We had a power issue and were in a time crunch. The staff from AV, maintenance and banquet, were right there to take care of our needs and pitch in above and beyond the call of duty. They fully participated in the solution and were at our side till resolved.

We ate at the hotel and found the food to be excellent. Chef Matthew loves his job and his art. You can taste it in all he does. So if you visit, you should try to eat there for dinner.

I found the room to be very clean and nice.

Let me specifically call out and thank David, in banquet, Arnett in AV, Chef Matthew, and Michael concierge. These are only a few of the people who made our stay great. Thanks to everyone for their effort.

Thank you for making our stay a success.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

It certainly sounds like every aspect of your experience at The Westin Southfield Detroit exceeded your expectations and we are truly grateful for your gift of feedback. It’s a pleasure to receive such high praise for our Associates and accommodations and we will be sure to share your comments with them. Our Associates work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special and your generous acknowledgement of their efforts are absolutely appreciated. The thanks goes to you our guest, for making our hotel the success it is. Please come and stay with us again soon. Be well.

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

It was a very nice hotel. Nice sized gym and the bar in the hotel was fun to watch a game at. We were there for a wedding so I did not utilize the business center but the rooms were very clean and modern. Nice pool as well.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your kind review of The Westin Southfield Detroit. It is so nice to hear that you were pleased with many of the amenities we offer, from our relaxing indoor pool to our fully equipped fitness center. For future visits, please don’t hesitate to take advantage of our Concierge’s vast knowledge of excellent places to visit while here. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again and until then, stay well.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our last stay involved faulty air conditioning, a TV sans remote, slow service response, poor food, and a lackadaisical staff. Many buisnesses have moved out of the Westin complex and surrounding buildings, and doubtless reductions in staffing and budgets translate into iffy service and "why should I care" attitudes. And the customer is at the very bottom of this food chain. We went there to get away for the weekend, and spent more time than necessary trying to get things in the room just to work.
It sounds from other reviews that there are some exceptional staff members that are trying to make a difference, and this is heartening. But they have a steep gradient to work against in terms of other less motivated staff members, an aging physical plant, and probably not the best wages. I wish them the best, but we won't be back.

Room Tip: Try Dearborn.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emceemk

We are truly disappointed to learn that your experience at our hotel was not more accommodating. We encourage our guests to let us know of any issues they may experience while staying with us so that we may address them immediately. It is our goal to create a comfortable and refreshing stay for all of our guests. Your kind acknowledgement of our staff is appreciated and we hope you will give us another opportunity to fully impress you in the future. Be well.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel over the past year. Over the past year, I have had mixed feelings about this hotel. My e-mail to management below should sum it up and bring to light several glaring issues with this hotel:

First and foremost, severe compliments are in order for Carrie (at the front desk), Alicia (at Tengo’s), and Michael (the concierge).

In general, Carrie is extremely helpful and one of the best staff members that works at your front desk. Without hesitation, I thoroughly enjoy walking in every Monday and seeing Carrie. Not only does she provide excellent customer service and makes the extra effort to know my specific preferences of room, Green Choice, etc. but the sheer fact that she has a smile on and is always willing to help assures me that I am in good hands. This week, which I will touch upon later, there was an issue with my first room. I went down to the front desk and sure enough, Carrie did not even hesitate to change my room. She admitted that the state of this room was unacceptable and additionally added 1000 SPG points to my account. I cannot tell you how much that was appreciated—not so much for the points—rather, for the great customer service with which she has provided me. I have been staying here for a year and every single stay, I enjoy interacting with Carrie because I know that she will continue to make each and every stay enjoyable.

In general, both Alicia and Michael are another pair of excellent employees you have at your hotel. Each and every time I see them, they individually welcome me (and the other members of my team for that matter). Alicia has made a personal effort to know my breakfast preferences, which really is appreciated. Michael is there always offering help in any way he can. I really am so privileged to be in the hands of such excellent staff.

With all of that said, there are a few issues that I would like to bring to your attention. Bear in mind that these are not issues with the staff; in fact, I believe your staff are the ones that have made me reconsider switching to the Marriott. But there are several issues, which I will outline, that have just become severe annoyances and attributes of Starwood Hotels that I would not expect.

1. My first room this week – Room 301
a. Upon getting to the Westin this week, the front desk clerk (who was unfortunately not Carrie) upgraded me to a suite. While that was much appreciated, when I arrived to my room, I was greeted by a shower curtain on the floor. I chuckled a bit, as I was unsure why there was a shower curtain on the floor (frankly, it looked a bit like a scene from the Showtime show Dexter). I brushed it off, assuming it was a leak. When I entered the main section of the room, there was a shower rod on the bed, toiletries scattered across the sheets, and towels laying on the floor. I am still unsure as to why the bathroom was in the bedroom essentially. The bathroom, upon inspection, was a mess, so I promptly returned downstairs to speak with Carrie, who I knew would immediately rectify the issue. She did and added 1000 points to my SPG account, which was really above and beyond. Allow me to reiterate that Carrie was the saving grace here and I am very appreciative towards her in this regard.
2. My second room this week – Room 1121
a. Although no suites were available, Carrie was able to place me on the Executive floor. When I walked in, to my delight, the bathroom was intact. Later that evening, when I returned to my room, I booted up my iPad and attempted to connect to the internet. It was slow at first, but hey, there are plenty of people accessing this wireless so I was sure it was just a hiccup. Oh how I was wrong. Apparently, in Room 1121 the only place to get proper Wi-Fi is either in the entry way or in the bathroom. Since there are no chairs in the entry way and since the bathroom is not necessarily the most convenient nor ideal place to be working on a computer/iPad, I was left with intermittent internet access at best. I would also like to add that this room is even further perplexing. Aside from the proximity to the staircase—which, I might add leads to the 12th floor and after a year, I still have no idea why it exists—the room has seemingly paper-thin walls. Maybe it’s because it’s by the elevators. Maybe it’s because of the randomly placed staircase. I am not sure. But between the staircase, clearly not soundproof walls, and lack of wireless, this room is not ideal for anyone needing a place to work or conducive to a decent night’s sleep.
b. I wish that were all I had to say about this room, but alas, I do not. The shower’s pressure is extremely light. When I turned the handle to see if there was some way to adjust it, the handle simply fell off. I was able to place it back on, but the pressure for some reason, remains dull (I’m not really sure who is maintaining the bathrooms at this hotel, but they are NOT in good shape). Despite the shower issues, when I turned on the television, nearly 75% of the channels showed a bouncing DirectTV logo. My solution would have been to watch TV on my iPad, but given that the internet was nonexistent from the bed, so I had to sit in the entry way just to download a magazine (which was really not as comfortable as one might imagine). After a long day, the only thing I really wanted to do was relax and it seems this week, this was not going to be possible.
3. Breakfast Coupons
a. It has come to my understanding that you will no longer be accepting the breakfast coupons at Jamocha’s. As it has been explained to me, it is a perception that the coupons are “abused” because patrons are taking $15-worth of food with their supposed $15-valued coupon. I can only speak for myself in this regard, but I am not sure why we are not allowed to use our $15-valued coupon in exchange for $15-worth of food. If the coupon is not truly worth $15, then should the breakfast buffet really be valued at $15? If these are a simple redemption of the breakfast buffet, am I to understand that eventually we will not be able to get coffee or water bottles with the buffet? While I understand that the breakfast buffet is pretty much a fixed cost and the sandwiches/coffee at Jamocha are seemingly variable and more “demand-based,” I do not necessarily understand the rationale for disallowing us to redeem the coupon at Jamocha’s when frankly, the buffet is not very good (I get a bowl of fruit, water bottle, apple, and coffee—definitely not worth the $15) and I may not have time for breakfast (which is why I prefer a heartier meal at Jamocha’s for lunch). Might I suggest instead of banning breakfast coupons at Jamocha’s that you put a limit on what one may redeem? For example, maybe 1 salad/sandwich, 1 snack, and 1 drink? I think this solves both problems as I understand you do not want the breakfast coupon to be abused at Jamochas. Just a thought.

With all of that, there are a few final things I want to mention:
1. Your staff is your greatest asset in my opinion—bravo to them.
2. Over the past year, I have noticed that the quality here has been slowly diminishing. You may recall I am the one who complained about the gym (which seems to be in working order, so thank you). But this week, the state of my two rooms were not up to the standard I would expect from such a great brand as Starwood.
3. I understand that some of these issues may seem trivial, but at the end of the day, I suppose we do become accustomed to certain standards of a hotel and aside from your extremely amazing staff, I have begun to be rather disappointed with things that are out of their control.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for reaching out to us and offering your comments both through e-mail and a review of The Westin Southfield Detroit. What struck us the most throughout your comments is the absolute praise you have for our staff and we truly appreciate your graciousness. You have certainly been a most welcome guest throughout the year and we do apologize that your stays have not all been exceptional. It is most apparent that you were given a room that was not ready to be occupied and we will investigate as to why this room was not recorded as being unavailable. Our IT Associates are currently looking into what may have been the problem with Internet access and your suggestions regarding our breakfast offerings will be taken in consideration. We do not want our guests to become accustomed to our service, but to be refreshingly surprised each time they stay with us. Thank you for taking your valuable time to help us find ways to improve the experience for everyone. We look forward to welcoming you back again and again. Be well.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The good thing with the hotel is the good food - ordered the sauteed shrimp with lemon (starter in the dinner menu) and the broiled green tea-lacquered salmon in shitake essence (main course) & it is really good, the following night I ordered the calamari and it was really very so so please don't order this. Another good thing is the Front Desk and Concierge team - they are very helpful and an asset to this hotel

Now, the things to be improved. The housekeeping standard/quality is really very bad. When I arrived last April 10th, the desk had marks (glass marks from the bottom of a glass and it is sticky so I am assuming that it was a soda glass) and I am thinking, how can they check in a new guest in this room in if the desk have 2 glass marks near the lamp and I had to wet a towel to clean it? There were also cookie crumbs on the desk near the telephone (I hope this is from the last guest and not the last last guest). I saw in one of the guest comment here that the carpet is dirty and my carpet is also dirty. The housekeeping standard in this hotel is very bad and needs a management review, the room is dirty.

The Heavenly Bed is not heavenly at all, it has been too used and the side I slept on has a curve already downwards from too much use. The Heavenly Bed needs to be replaced since it is not Heavenly at all. I woke up feeling tired.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SonnyAng

While we are happy to hear that your dining experience was enjoyable and that you received gracious service from our staff, we hope that you will accept our sincerest apologies that your recent experience at our hotel was not as you had expected. Your comments will be shared with all departments to reemphasize the high standards in place for customer service and attention to detail. Thank you for alerting us to these issues. It would be our hope to be able to welcome you back for the exceptional stay that you deserve. Be well.