I stay at this hotel very frequent for business, I have stayed in 10+ different rooms here. The location is extremely convenient. The Westin is within the Southfield Towncenter complex and connected to all the towers, it takes me only 5 minutes to get to where I need to be.
Most of the staff is very friendly, but usually not very helpful when it comes down to it. They like to say hi and chat with you, but when you ask them to actually do something, everything changes. House keeping is especially disappointing. I have came back to my room to find it not made up at all. And then it took almost 2 hours to get someone to clean it! After the staff "cleaned" it, I had no toiletries, no towels, no coffee...... they were aware of the problem, but brought back each item one at a time, and this whole ordeal lasted way longer than it needed to. There is often hair or soap still on the counter or floor, even at check-in! Sometimes they will forget to clean out the coffee maker or give you more water bottles (platinum guests get free water). Sometimes they won't put more toiletries in the room. Almost every single day, they forget do clean a part of my room!
The hotel appears to be like any other Westin hotels at first glance, but when I looked closer, I noticed that many things are broken in the rooms. The carpets are stained in many of the rooms. The desks are often chipped. Many of the dual shower heads don't work properly, they are difficult to adjust, and I've had several rooms where only 1 of the shower head worked. The rooms get extremely hot especially in the winter, after inquiring with the staff, they said that they turned off the AC for the entire hotel. So the only air that comes out of the vents is hot air! No matter how you adjust the thermostat in the room, if it is already hot in the room, its impossible to get any cold air to balance it out. But I did realize that there a small part of the window opens in every room! Just open it, and let the cool fresh air come in!! :) The "newly renovated" rooms have these modern lamps. But the outlets on these lamps are impossible to use! The lamp on the desk has this bar right over the outlet, I couldn't even plug my laptop into it. The lamp by the bed has some kind of bubble looking design, and its impossible to plug in a larger plug such as those that come with cell phones. The chairs also are not ergonomic at all, and very bad for your back/shoulders if you need to work in the room.
I will continue to stay here for its great location for my work (and lack of alternative in Southfield!), but would not ever pay for this hotel out of my own pocket. Its just not worth what they charge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Near the quiet suburbs and only being 20 minutes from downtown, The Westin Southfield Detroit is near many Fortune 500 headquarters and with access to the Southfield Town Center's 5 corporate towers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin Southfield Detroit reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Southfield Detroit Hotel Southfield
- Westin Southfield Detroit
- Southfield Westin