“Great hotel with excellent customer service”

Detroit Marriott Southfield
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I had the opportunity to stay 2 nights at the Southfield Marriott Hotel this past August. I must say hotel was very clean and the staff was first class. I would highly recommend this hotel to my business associates as well as my family if staying in the Southfield area.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed September 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at the Marriott Southfield in August and had a great experience! From the friendly Front Desk upon our arrival to our spotless room everything was excellent, as we would expect with a Marriott property. It was great having such a nice restaurant to dine in after a busy day right at the hotel.
The staff was excellent and very attentive for our entire stay.
It was a great value for our money and the location was right in the middle of everywhere we needed to go.
It was a great weekend away!!
We will be back!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2009

This hotel is a great value right now. We paid $69 a night with WIFI included. Hard to beat. This is a full service hotel for the most part. The room was updated with flat screen tv's. The bathroom is typical Marriott. The bed was nice, not too hard or soft.
I used the gym and it was one of the better gyms I have used recently. We did not use the pool. They had special parking for Marriott elite members. This was a nice perk.

The downside is really the location and service in the restaurant. Southfield is surrounded by businesses, so not much to do without driving. My guess in during the week this turns into a business traveler hotel It's not the end of the world, but if this is what your looking for then you should look elsewhere. We had a late day snack on Friday and the service was horrible. I figured it was just crowded, but we had breakfast on Sunday and the service was just as bad.

Overall the hotel is clean, safe, full service and a great value. I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Captpablo
Reviewed April 15, 2009

This hotel is, well, just fine. It was clean and featured comfortable beds, but the the hotel as a hole what a notch or two below what I have experienced at other Marriotts.

The lobby is quite small and contains a tiny, open lounge and small restaurant. I did not use the fitness center or pool, but both were rather small.

I suppose if you are traveling on business to Southfield for a night this place is fine. There is Courtyard next door and a Westin approx. 1 1/2 miles away.

If you are going into downtown Detroit I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2008

I was in the area on business and glad that I made the selection that I did. The hotel was comfortable and friendly. My stay had me in for 5 days that rolled into the weekend. It was a busy weekend for the hotel but we organized. Thank you for the best hotel bed that I have slept in in many months. I travel alot and this was by far one of the best. Rooms were simple and tasteful. The food in the hotel was average for a hotel. Drinks were a little pricey but a nice glass of wine with a good steak is worth the price. I was not familar with the area and the staff was extremely helpful with mall directions and other places of interest. I will use the hotel again if my travels bring me back to the area.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2008

this marriott has very nice staff, the sunday brunch buffet is super and the chef is very experienced and professional. thats the best part. room service is nice, but limited. location is pretty nice also. only 10 mins (with good traffic) from downtown detroit. diverse restaurants in area. the only potential negatives are that the rooms are borderline outdated. furniture is becoming worn and not cleaned well. slightly dusty, leftover bottled water and baby crib from previous resident shows cleaning didnt pay close attention. beds are super comfy!!! bedding kept coming off the mattress ?!? free wifi!!! pool area looks nice, but i didnt get a chance to visit...ok hotel if you pay abt 75.00 /night...

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank fluffystereo
Reviewed July 28, 2008

This is by far the worst property of Marriott. They have no bell man to help with the luggage. When I got out of my limo, the driver had offered to help me load my suitcase on the bell cart. After checking in, I had to push the cart from the front desk into the elevator and into my room.

The hotel is really old and ugly. The carpet is pretty sticky. I suggest that hotel guests wear shoes all the time because you never know what you are stepping on. You certainly don't want to step on some bacteria festering on the carpet. I don't even think that the staff cleans the carpet. They just fix the bed and replace the towels.

The restaurant have a mediocre menu. Nothing too appetizing. The morning buffet had a waffle bar where you can also request for a fresh omelette to be made. However, the cook is not always there, so you have to wait 15 - 25 mins before you can finally sit down and eat your breakfast.

Service in this hotel is really bad. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this hotel to any business people. GO TO WESTIN instead!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business