Detroit Marriott Southfield
$129
$65
$95
Orbitz.com
All reviewsconcierge floorfront deskstayed at the marriottrooms are clean and comfortableindoor poolwould stay here againroom servicebusiness travelerguest roomslobby areaking roomgreat roomhotel restaurantbusiness tripdetroitbarbarahighway
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel is approximately 20 min. from downtown Detroit and in a pleasant and safe location. We slip away to the hotel frequently for a quick weekend break. They have reasonable rates this close to the city, we catch great rates ($80 per night). And there is a restaurant inside available. Each room has a small sofa, coffee table, desk and chair, wifi is complimentary. There is an indoor pool, jacuzzi (hot-tub), and small workout room, with sauna's.

Pro's: Good service, Management is pleasant and helpful, it there is a problem, the service is immediate. The "hot-tub" is truly a hot jacuzzi, with bubbly jets, and it is clean. The workout room is nice, as well. The housekeeping staff is so friendly and helpful - if you ask for more towels, they bring them with a smile.

Cons: The Fire Grill restaurant. I found out that it recently changed chef's and the caliber of the food has gone down. The breakfast buffet has been our staple while there and this time it was not serviced as well, not enough fruit, and not as tidy.

We will continue to go to the Marriot, but will watch what we order from the restaurant until the service improves.

Room Tip: Always ask for the 5 th or 6th floor as those are "key" card floors and much quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I travel to Detroit 4X a year for work! Detroit is a scary place these days! This is a very old Marriott, but it is a clean and safe place to stay! Evelyn, a waitress in the restaurant is there to grett you everyday with a big beautiful smile for breakfast! And Dorothy, the head cleaning lady is there to ask if she can help with anything daily! What this hotel lacks in decor, their employees make up for, which is why i keep coming back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I recenlty stayed at the Marriott Southfield as part of my 50th high school reunion. The hotel staff did an excellent job in serving us on Friday night at the Meet and Greet event in the lobby bar area and the two breakfast buffets. All staff members were friendly and helpful. At breakfasts we had frequent changes in diners at our table and the staff responded well. The exercise center was easy to use and well quipped. The pool was chilly but pleasant. No fee for parking. The TV in our room got fuzzy and the engineer came up quickly and fixed it. I"m so glad that our reunion organizers picked the Marriott Southfield.
Joan-Sarasota FL

Room Tip: We liked room 207 as it was around the corner and very quiet with two queen beds.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I traveled in on business so I checked in at dark and left early in the morning. Ray at check in was outstanding and the shuttle driver was one of the nicest gentleman you would ever meet. The exercise room was clean and had good equipment .
For some reason every Marriott room is on the small side but it was clean. The bed and pillows were very comfortable with a nice flat panel tv. My biggest flaw is the wifi was very weak in my room which explained why everyone was working on their laptops down in the lobby.
I had a sandwich in the hotel grill and it was fantastic with good service. Breakfast buffet the next morning had a good selection of hot choices and a great fruit bar. There again everyone who served was super friendly and it was a good stay.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank wcircleauto
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Honestly this was the most disappointing stay at a Marriot hotel. As a Platinum member I stay at many different Marriotts and am very loyal to the brand. My stay at the Southfield Marriott was frankly not great. My room was dirty and haphazardly cleaned. My pillow cases were inside out and there was a lot of hair on the decorative pillows and smelled really dirty. There was visible soap caked in the shower from the last guest that stayed in the room and the note pads in the room had writing all over them from the previous guest as well. On the second night of my stay the bath towels were not replaced and I was left with only one towel.

The food in the restaurant was equally disappointing. I ordered the Ahi Tuna with Buckwheat Noodles with the Tuna cooked medium. The Tuna arrived so well done that it was incredibly dry and inedible. Instead of noodles, the dish had Penne Pasta. When I inquired about the difference the waitress shrugged her shoulders and said "I guess the kitchen is out of noodles". What a disappointment to have such a gross meal at the hotel. Usually when I stay at a Marriott, I enjoy having a relaxing dinner at the hotel after a long day of work. The meal the first night was so gross, I chose to eat out the following night.

The hotel quality and cleanliness was so bad that my next trips to Detroit will be at a Marriott other than the Southfield Marriott.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business