“Solid Detroit Style”

Shield's Restaurant Bar Pizza
Ranked #17 of 211 Restaurants in Southfield
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Good but not great pizza. Somewhat inconsistent where sometimes it is undercooked. I prefer the "other" Detroit style pizza establishment but I frequent this place on occasion.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I was in town for business and we ended up doing lunch here. I was told their pizza is more of a deep dish style, which made me doubt right away if it was any good, I've had bad deep dish before. We ordered the Athenian and oh my word, I will have dreams about this pizza now!!!! It was more of a pan Sicilian style pizza that had a chock full of tomatoes, spinach, feta and mushrooms. One of the best hands down, I am eager to return!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

After dining at Buddy's the previous evening and not being here since the 70's, I was a bit surprised that Shield's had not kept up its appearance or its quality over the years. The deep dish pizza was just OK. While the salad was decent, a steak sandwich I ordered was without lettuce and tomato (that will be 50 cents extra) and the cole slaw substitute for fries was less than exciting. The chicken wings were only average compared to the many different places that I sample them around the country. The setting seemed to be a bit dark and dingy, although not as dingy as Rush's infamous Senator Harry Reid. As I looked around the place after a late stay to watch college football, all I could think of was that Shield's needed an extreme makeover to keep up with the well-lit and vibrant Buddy's, the stronger competitor for deep-dish pizza king of the Detroit area. There were many fewer patrons here on a Saturday evening than the Buddy's I have frequented in Dearborn and Warren over the past several years. The message -- I hope they change!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have been to shields twice now for lunch. Ordered pizza both times and was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the food. The pizza is simply great. No issues w/ service and they have a reasonable beer selection with several Michigan brews (Dragonmead Final Absolution is what I ordered). No complaints.

Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Wow, first time led astray fellow reviewers. Nothing special about the pizza. Deep dish crust tastes like Pizza Hut pan. Gold Medal sauce is very spicy. Beer selection barely above minimal. Server was a young kid who was really trying, but he did get my dessert order wrong