“A Bit Dingy”

Shield's Restaurant Bar Pizza
Ranked #14 of 208 Restaurants in Southfield
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed December 8, 2013

After dining at Buddy's the previous evening and not being here since the 70's, I was a bit surprised that Shield's had not kept up its appearance or its quality over the years. The deep dish pizza was just OK. While the salad was decent, a steak sandwich I ordered was without lettuce and tomato (that will be 50 cents extra) and the cole slaw substitute for fries was less than exciting. The chicken wings were only average compared to the many different places that I sample them around the country. The setting seemed to be a bit dark and dingy, although not as dingy as Rush's infamous Senator Harry Reid. As I looked around the place after a late stay to watch college football, all I could think of was that Shield's needed an extreme makeover to keep up with the well-lit and vibrant Buddy's, the stronger competitor for deep-dish pizza king of the Detroit area. There were many fewer patrons here on a Saturday evening than the Buddy's I have frequented in Dearborn and Warren over the past several years. The message -- I hope they change!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have been to shields twice now for lunch. Ordered pizza both times and was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the food. The pizza is simply great. No issues w/ service and they have a reasonable beer selection with several Michigan brews (Dragonmead Final Absolution is what I ordered). No complaints.

Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Wow, first time led astray fellow reviewers. Nothing special about the pizza. Deep dish crust tastes like Pizza Hut pan. Gold Medal sauce is very spicy. Beer selection barely above minimal. Server was a young kid who was really trying, but he did get my dessert order wrong

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We met friends for dinner and between the four of us had pizza, antipasto salad w/bread sticks, the italian ciabatta w/fries, and wings. More than we needed, with plenty to take home. All were delicious! Our server was attentive without being annoying, and kept the drinks filled and the dishes picked up. I love the detroit style pizza (who knew every city didn't enjoy great pizza!) and now that we live out of state we have to make a stop every trip back. The antipasto salad is one of my favorites. I like the way the ham and brick cheese are chopped into small cubes to ensure you have some in every bite. There are TVs all around the rooms so you don't have to miss any of your favorite sports. Shield's is a great casual place for friends, families, or couples to have a good meal at a reasonable price.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Shields use to know for some of the best pizza in this area. Not the case anymore! The antipasti salad was the worst I have ever had. The ham on the pizza was sandwich slices cut into pieces the pepperoni was so thin you could barely taste it. We will not be retuning in the future. Extremely disappointed.