“Never a bad meal”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Edwards and 12 Mile Rd.
Description: World Beat Cuisine with a consistent dose of creativity, an ever-evolving, unique & mouth-watering menu of completely satisfying items that will have you counting the hours before you return. A fantastic selection of daily specials, house-made soups, pastas, seafood, steaks, vegetarian and gluten-free offerings - inspired by exciting ethnic cuisines.Favorites include Five Spice Calamari to Avocado Crab BLTs, and Pecan-crusted Chicken breast as well as a wonderful selection of fresh-baked desserts including Apple Brown Betty...Delicious!Think about Sweet Lorraine 's for brunch, lunch, dinners and special events (from family gatherings to social & business meetings - Sweet Lorraine's will be happy to accommodate your group).
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This is one of the most reliable restaurants I've ever been to. It has been a favorite of many for years. Excellent, creative food, wonderful atmosphere, good service. Try the Fried Clam Caesar salad, the Niciose, the great specials! Wonderful desserts as well. A proven winner that I would never hesitate to recommend.

Reviewed January 11, 2011

We made a reservation ahead of time using Open Table.com for 5:00 on Saturday night. It was a special date night for hubby and I and I really wanted some yummy food and vegetarian chioces. Sweet Lorraine's fit the bill and we were excited to go there.

The food was AWESOME! Great picks if you are veggie or just looking to reduce meat consumption like me. I had the soup of the day, Tomato Basil and it was fantastic. Served hot with lots of croutons, very yummy. I ordered their famouns mac n cheese side portion as my entree. It wasn't served very hot, even though I was warned the plate was hot, but the flavor was out of site. We also splurged on dessert and ordered the snowflake truffle. This was an awesome combination of flavors including coconut, angel food cake and other goodness.

Elisabeth, our server, was attentive and genuine. She really seemed to care whether we enjoyed our food and if there was anything she could do to make the experience better. There was another server in our area who was very annoying. She talked loud and seemed super fake. I was so glad she wasn't helping us.

I can't give them a '5' because of the atmosphere! With having a 5:00 reservation I was hoping for a nice table. Instead we were given a basic table in the middle of other tables and the temperature in the restaurant was FREEZING! I didn't feel comfortable enough to even take my coat off until 3/4 of the way through the meal. I asked about moving tables and was told they would 'check' but nothing ever came of that request. I believe they do offer seating upstairs, but they made sure every last table was full downstairs before moving folks up there. When we arrived the manager was using one of the few booths for her own personal use, which seems silly with such a small number available. The tables are also VERY close together. Instead of the special, romatic atmosphere we craved we were shoved into our table like sardines. Also, the women's restroom is a terrible set up. The door is in the main hall right behind the hostess stand. So you have to watch for major traffic when enetering or exiting. Really doesn't even seem safe.

All in all, the food is AWESOME! Just don't expect too much ambiance. I would go again.

1  Thank zaezae
Reviewed April 11, 2009

I have been an occasional patron of Sweet Lorraines since it opened many years ago and generally has been good, their strong point is their creative and eclectic imagination for bringing unique combinations of food and spices together for wonderful palate pleasing dishes. This last visit (April 9, 2009) was a dissapointment. Two problems: My dish was so salty that I considered sending it back. However, I decided not to, and ate it. When the waiter came to take the dishes and asked how everything was, I told him to relate to the chef that the dish I had, a vegetarian stuffed ravioli, one of the specials of the night, was too salty. He could have said "Thank you for the feedback, I will let the chef know." Instead he gave an annoyed look and did not say a word. Wrong response. He brought the dessert platter and described each dessert in speed talk. When we went to ask a question about one of the desserts he was already gone. Lorraine has some work to do to bring the restaurant back up to its previous excellence and to retrain her wait staff.

1  Thank cagey123
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed January 24, 2009

Different and delicious - try them for breakfast too!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 10, 2009

Sweet Lorraine's knocks my socks off every time. And for good reason. The food is exceptional, the service is great, and the environment is fun and inviting.

One thing I love about SL's is that they do their best to use a lot of seasonal, local ingredients. This approach to serving food could not be more welcome in a struggling rust-belt state. Not only does it taste better, but they're doing their part to help keep Michigan farmers in business. Also, there is a good variety from small plates and sandwiches to pretty hefty pasta dishes and steak. Also, the vegetarian selection is great and there's always at least one vegetarian soup on the menu.

The mixed drinks are also creative, seasonal, and often include local ingredients. This autumn, I had the warm "caramel apple" made with local apple cider. Yum-o.

The service is always phenominal. SL's has a waitstaff that is not only friendly, but also knowledgable. I never hesitate to ask about a menu item.

My advice:
-Try the specials and ask the servers if you're having trouble deciding. Their recommendations haven't failed me yet.

-Also, the salads are good, but sometimes a little overdressed so ask for your dressing on the side.

-Save room for dessert, if you can. The menu is always changing and always yummy.

1  Thank grrlonthemove