“Consistently good” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lahser and Northwestern Highway
Description: Gastronomy - A Modern American Bistro is modern in every sense of the word, from cuisine and culinary technique to ambiance and service. The principal foundation of the restaurant is that it embodies the definition of Gastronomy, meaning the art or science of good eating. The culinary philosophy is that of a true scratch kitchen, meaning everything is produced in house. Using the term "American" not only signifies the multicultural influences over the menu but the caveat that nearly every item in the kitchen, and wines on the list, will come from American soil. The focus in the bar is equally committed to scratch production, and our mixologist team is dedicated to the art of hand made craft cocktails. Our culinary brigade embraces the art of food with the goal of transforming the culinary scene of Detroit as we know it.
Palo Alto, CA
“Consistently good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

One my second visit to Gastronomy, we tried the 8-course degustation menu. Once again, I was not disappointed. We were presented with eight impeccably-prepared and presented dishes, plus a unique amuse-bouche. While there were a couple of repeats from my previous visit (such as the walleye chowder), there were quite a few surprises like the chicken three ways. Service is top notch, as usual. Not cheap, but definitely worth it for a special occasion.

Visited October 2013

Southfield, Michigan
“Tasting menu was a fabulous experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I live in the area. We received an advertisement in the mail with a sampling of their menu a while back and I've been wanting to check them out for a while. We went in dressed very casaully and just requested to sit at the bar. The bartender, Steve, was an absolute delight. My DH originally wanted to order his usual, Crown, but the bartender suggested he try another Whiskey made in Three Rivers, MI called Journeyman - he loved it and will be seeking to find a retailer soon to pick up his own bottle. We also were able to try a few other samples such as bacon vodka and a very nice dessert wine later. There was another patron at the bar who was in the midst of his tasting menu - course three of eight I believe. Steve explained what a degustation menu was and I was very intrigued. We both ordered the 6 course option. We're average people (not big foodies), but this was some of the best food we've put in our mouths! We couldn't come up with favorite off the bat, but after we talked at home, we really did both very much enjoy the walleye chowder that came on a campfire type caldron. The tastes, the smells, the whole expereince - Loved it! Overall it was about a 3 hour experience, but it really didn't feel that long. DH got to watch both the Michigan/UConn game and the extra innings Tiger game so that probably helped. I highly recommend this restaurant and really do hope it can withstand this economy as there aren't many options in Southfield for "real" food.

• Visited September 2013
Michigan
“Really bummed this place was so empty. It's fabulous!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Very creative menu. Delicious food. I loved this place. Our server, Lauren, was amazing. We liked her so much, we wanted her to join us for dinner. The sad truth of it is that she probably could have. It was a Friday night and I think there were only four other tables occupied. I really hope Gastronomy makes it. It's in a hard-to-find location, which may be their demise. We will definitely go back.

• Visited July 2013
Ann Arbor MI
“creative food, some of which works”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

The menu is enticing. We ordered a bunch of small plates, and shared almost all of them. Some of the combinations of ingredients work; others don't. For us, the unsuccessful dishes outnumbered successful ones, so we probably won't return. Others may have a different experience. (The preparation was fine, but the conception wasn't always inspired.) When we went, the room was nearly empty, so service was attentive. The decor of the room is striking, but doesn't really fit the aesthetics of the food.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Delicious!!! Great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I had the Rueben, chips and chocolate chip cookies. My friend had the Cuban and the chocolate cookies. Excellent!

• Visited June 2013