“Enjoyed our Family Vacation”

SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I usually travel to Detroit for business but this time it was for vacation with my family. I usually always stay in Southfield at the Marriott but I have always enjoyed Springhill Suites. This hotel was no exception - love the atmosphere and the rooms. They were very clean and lots of room for the 4 of us. The staff was awesome - very informative and friendly. Enjoyed the free breakfast - lots to choose from and free easy to use wifi in the whole hotel. Plus it was very easy to get onto the main highways to get around the area. Definitely will stay here again the next time I am in town - including for my business trips.

Room Tip: The rooms come with 2 double beds - not queen beds.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Jill L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Thank you, SarahR777 for taking the tim out of your day to tell about your wonderful stay that you had at SpringHill Suites in Southfield. We hope to see your back real soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was my first springhills stay and i loved it. The hotel was along nowest highway so it was very easy to find. The room , a suite, was great. Check in was a breeze and my room was clean, bright with lots of space. The bed was very comfortable. the only complaint i had was i was on the first floor in room 117 whic was by the kitchen so the second morning there was a lot of noise when the staff started preparing breakfast. I was already up but if i had been trying to sleep if would have been difficult. Overall very nice hotel so it'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the kitchen or elevators. I think rooms on the end of the floors are better with less...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank fotomann
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My family of four stayed here the end of July, 2014 and enjoyed our stay. The room layout for the King and sleeper sofa was a pleasant surprise and very unique. It was a genuine suite with a divider between the living room and sleeper sofa. It had a nice little kitchen area with small sink. I really appreciated the large bathroom and full size mirror in the hallway between bathroom and bathroom sink area. The room was very clean, the bed was comfortable, and the décor was modern.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Jill L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear Tiffany C,

We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay here at SpringHill Suites while in the Southfield area. I must agree that having a more spacious room really makes the time away much more pleasant. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you visit the next time that you are in town.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed here 4th of July. Check in was a breeze, staff very friendly. Given wrist bands for the pool. My daughter and her family went to the pool. About 10 young kids alone without adult supervision swimming. One of them told her that one of the kids had thrown up in the hot tub and don't use it. They had not told anyone at the front desk and they weren't wearing the aforementioned wrist bands. The kids were unsupervised and not very well behaved, so they didn't stay long to swim. My daughter did tell the front desk about the puke and they sent someone down to the pool. The room was clean, comfortable and roomy. The breakfast are was very crowded and we kept having to ask the attendant for things as they had only 1 container of milk in the mini fridge when i got down there around 9. Had to ask for yogurt and 2 people came up behind me and asked too. Each time the attendant would go back and get one more out. The area where you get the food is small and we ended up waiting to get to most of the stations. The food was good and the area around it was kept clean. Probably one of the worst Marriott hotel experiences for me.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelerSandy
Jill L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear TravelerSandy,

We do appreciate your opinion of your recent stay with us and do apologize that we did not meet or exceed your expectations.
Please tell your daughter, thank you for the heads up on the spa. We always want to know things like that so that we can act swiftly to ensure that our pool standards are met for the health and safety of our guests.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed here July 4-July 6. Check in was a breeze. I liked the way the room is set up apartment style with a couple of turns to get to the bedroom and bathroom area. The room was clean and comfortable. I didn't eat breakfast but my boyfriend did and he said they were running out of food around 8:30 and not replenishing so if you want food, go down quickly. There's also a Tim Horton's in walking distance of the hotel.

My only real complaint is that we had a 6:00 AM flight and we asked the hotel desk for a 4:00 AM wake-up call and that call never came. Luckily, that was my back-up source so it was no big deal. I would recommend that no one relies on them for an important wake-up call.

I'll stay here again upon my next visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Reasonrules1
Jill L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Reasonrules1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to voice your opinion and experiences on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your comments and take very seriously any shortfalls that we may have at times. Ensuring that our guests receive their wake up calls and that they enjoy a full buffet throughout their stay is extremely important. Rest assured that these instances will be communicated swiftly.

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights june 27th and 28th because we were going to visit the Henry Ford Museum and this was one of the hotels that comes up on their website. I checked out the hotel website and liked what I read and saw so I booked it. The positives are the hotel is very clean, the front desk was friendly, the bed and pillows were very comfortable and the hotel has been renovated this year so it did look good. The negatives unfortunately out number the positives. Our room which is sold as a suite was very small. There was one tv which is located between the sitting area and sleeping area on a dresser so you have to turn it to watch it in either room. When you are trying to watch it in the sitting area you are still disturbing anyone trying to sleep so it is pretty well useless. The bathroom which they say was newly renoed was small and outdated with a tub with a shower even though the website shows them with a walkin shower. The pool is very, very small. Four or five kids in it and it was full. The workout room is also very small, one elliptical, one bike, and one treadmill. The free paper was two days old. They advertise healthy options for breakfast but I did not see any. They serve the same old scrambled eggs, sausage, waffle, oatmeal, muffins, and sugary cerials that everyone else offers. Saturday morning they only had plain yogourt so I guess that is the healthy part, although it would have been nice to have some fresh fruit to add to it, maybe a strawberry or blueberry. the area where the food is served is also very small so when you had five or six people trying to get food it was very cramped. The best part about this trip was finding Leo's Coney Island restaurant next door. The food here was very good and the service was top notch also. Leo's I would return to, the Springhill I would not. Even though the hotel is very clean and the staff are friendly there are just many other negatives that cancel out the positives in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jill L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear danl1862,

Thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion on Tripadvisor. We take our guest's experiences very seriously.

It is unfortunate that the ammentities we offer did not satisfy your needs while staying with us. Our new Hot breakfast buffet does, indeed, offer heathly options such as yogurts, whole fruits, eggs, oatmeal, healthy cereals and fresh cut fruits in addition to the different proteins and starches. We rotate the choices daily to ensure variety for our frequent transients.

It is great to hear that you thought our hotel was clean and that the staff was friendly. We certainly appreciate the nice sentiment and your message will be communicated. We hope that you come and stay with us again when you are in the area.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Visited my son in Detroit for Father's Day. I am a Marriott Rewards member and stayed at the Southfield SpringHill Suites for 3 nights. Normally stay at the Marriott Courtyard in Southfield but it was full. The Springhill was very full for the first 2 nights and we were given Room 323. Please do not take this room. It is right near the elevators and right beside the mechanical room. Noise all night both nights. I tolerated it but would not stay in this room in the future. Service was good and room was clean. Internet, parking and breakfast is included. This is a plus. Decent work out room and pool. There are some items that need to be updated; rug in the elevator is dirty and torn. I would stay again but would be careful about my room choice. Good access to Northwestern Highway.

Room Tip: Do not take room 323 or 325. Very noisy due to elevator and mechanical room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple