“Good hotel-no wake-up call”

SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
New York
“Good hotel-no wake-up call”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed here July 4-July 6. Check in was a breeze. I liked the way the room is set up apartment style with a couple of turns to get to the bedroom and bathroom area. The room was clean and comfortable. I didn't eat breakfast but my boyfriend did and he said they were running out of food around 8:30 and not replenishing so if you want food, go down quickly. There's also a Tim Horton's in walking distance of the hotel.

My only real complaint is that we had a 6:00 AM flight and we asked the hotel desk for a 4:00 AM wake-up call and that call never came. Luckily, that was my back-up source so it was no big deal. I would recommend that no one relies on them for an important wake-up call.

I'll stay here again upon my next visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Reasonrules1
Jill L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Reasonrules1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to voice your opinion and experiences on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your comments and take very seriously any shortfalls that we may have at times. Ensuring that our guests receive their wake up calls and that they enjoy a full buffet throughout their stay is extremely important. Rest assured that these instances will be communicated swiftly.

We look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights june 27th and 28th because we were going to visit the Henry Ford Museum and this was one of the hotels that comes up on their website. I checked out the hotel website and liked what I read and saw so I booked it. The positives are the hotel is very clean, the front desk was friendly, the bed and pillows were very comfortable and the hotel has been renovated this year so it did look good. The negatives unfortunately out number the positives. Our room which is sold as a suite was very small. There was one tv which is located between the sitting area and sleeping area on a dresser so you have to turn it to watch it in either room. When you are trying to watch it in the sitting area you are still disturbing anyone trying to sleep so it is pretty well useless. The bathroom which they say was newly renoed was small and outdated with a tub with a shower even though the website shows them with a walkin shower. The pool is very, very small. Four or five kids in it and it was full. The workout room is also very small, one elliptical, one bike, and one treadmill. The free paper was two days old. They advertise healthy options for breakfast but I did not see any. They serve the same old scrambled eggs, sausage, waffle, oatmeal, muffins, and sugary cerials that everyone else offers. Saturday morning they only had plain yogourt so I guess that is the healthy part, although it would have been nice to have some fresh fruit to add to it, maybe a strawberry or blueberry. the area where the food is served is also very small so when you had five or six people trying to get food it was very cramped. The best part about this trip was finding Leo's Coney Island restaurant next door. The food here was very good and the service was top notch also. Leo's I would return to, the Springhill I would not. Even though the hotel is very clean and the staff are friendly there are just many other negatives that cancel out the positives in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jill L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear danl1862,

Thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion on Tripadvisor. We take our guest's experiences very seriously.

It is unfortunate that the ammentities we offer did not satisfy your needs while staying with us. Our new Hot breakfast buffet does, indeed, offer heathly options such as yogurts, whole fruits, eggs, oatmeal, healthy cereals and fresh cut fruits in addition to the different proteins and starches. We rotate the choices daily to ensure variety for our frequent transients.

It is great to hear that you thought our hotel was clean and that the staff was friendly. We certainly appreciate the nice sentiment and your message will be communicated. We hope that you come and stay with us again when you are in the area.
PA
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Visited my son in Detroit for Father's Day. I am a Marriott Rewards member and stayed at the Southfield SpringHill Suites for 3 nights. Normally stay at the Marriott Courtyard in Southfield but it was full. The Springhill was very full for the first 2 nights and we were given Room 323. Please do not take this room. It is right near the elevators and right beside the mechanical room. Noise all night both nights. I tolerated it but would not stay in this room in the future. Service was good and room was clean. Internet, parking and breakfast is included. This is a plus. Decent work out room and pool. There are some items that need to be updated; rug in the elevator is dirty and torn. I would stay again but would be careful about my room choice. Good access to Northwestern Highway.

Room Tip: Do not take room 323 or 325. Very noisy due to elevator and mechanical room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PITTparent
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed June 14, 2014

As stated in other reviews, I am somewhat of a hotel snob and a Marriott fan. Spring Hill is my favorite brand. This property has been my home-away-from home for many weekend evenings in the last three years. It is conveniently located to expressways and there is a Tim Horton's a few hundred feet away, on the same side. While it is showing its age (I haven't stayed here in maybe six months), it remains super clean and well-kept. This property has one of the most friendly and helpful staffs I have encountered anywhere.

The setting is quite urban and the property itself not gloriously presented; still you'll enjoy your time there. I definitely will go back.

Room Tip: I always prefer high floors, away from elevator and be sure to ask staff for a room away from any bi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ed H
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

This was the most enjoyable hotel stay ever. Very quiet even with a hotel full of people. The rooms are clean and stylishly decorated. Check in & out was fast. Polite and professional workers. Nothing bad to say at all. I highly recommend this location.

• Stayed May 2014
Jill L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Wow! We are thrilled to hear that you had an enjoyable experience with us- all around. It's great to know that our hotel amenities and accommodations met your needs. We certainly aim to please so that you and all of our guests keep coming back! Thank you for staying with us!
San Ramon, California, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great location for getting around the detroit metro area. Easy on and off from the freeway. Staff in very helpful and accommodating. Rooms very spacious and nicely outfitted. Felt very safe. Good hotel for families, business travel or vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Roy N
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We were here for a family event and had 3 separate rooms. Very nice, spacious rooms with a sitting area. Bright and cheerful. Nice breakfast. Ray at the front desk was especially helpful finding us a place for a drink on the way to our event and even called ahead to get us a spot reserved for a quick drink. The price for the room was better than either of the other hotels recommended by the family and very well located with easy on/easy off the highways.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family