“great stay”

SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was visiting my grandchildren in Hamtramck. Due to the after effects of Hurricane Sandy winds, the electricity went out. With 2 little ones I decided to get a hotel with electricity for however long it was going to take. This hotel was awesome in being kind and helping us find 2 rooms so quickly. I am a Marriott Platinum and used to staying in top Marriott lines, so was very pleased to see how clean, well kept, and nice this Springhill Suites was in Southfield MI. We will definately come back to stay here when we have a
chance.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I travel to the area for business once a year and always enjoy staying at the Springhill in Southfield, MI - the staff are always friendly (especially the lady who puts out the breakfast) and the room rates are excellent considering how upscale the hotel is.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I travel a lot refereeing Ice Hockey throughout the East and Midwest, and stay at a lot of Hotels. This one for the price is very hard to beat. We usually try and save as much as possible for scheduling hotels; and this hotel is a bargain for what you get. The lobby is nice, elevators convenient. Not to mention the rooms are extremely clean, and the rooms are very spacious. We had a fridge in ours which is a trivial feature I think many forget, this is important to me. Not to mention free Wi-Fi is very nice for these hotels. Most in this price range do have it; however the nicer ones tend not to have it and make you pay. You get a one day complimentary wireless. Beds are comfortable, and very important to me is the location. This is located in a great area to travel, not to mention a safe one. Other than that, pretty simple with a pool. The breakfast was just acceptable, not any eggs, bacon, or sausage just yur basic pastries, cereal, and some fruit with juices. All in all, I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed here for work last week and found the hotel staff to be very pleasant and accomodating. Rooms were updated but you could tell furniture was highly used and warn out. The fitness room was outdated and small and the pool and hottub looked clowdy and dirty. Fine for a work trip as it was very conveniently located and the rooms were clean - however I would probably never stay here for leisurely travel.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

There are several Marriott brand hotels, and other brands for that matter, to stay in the Detroit area. I can't say that I will ever return to this hotel for a number of reasons. First let me say that the staff was very nice, understanding and sympathetic to our situations while we were there. One reason for not returning would be the mold that was in the shower! Not an overly pleasant thing to wake up to in the morning. Then when going to breakfast, or lack there of, I enjoyed a toaster waffle and some yogurt. I thought it was a full breakfast, but hey they were out of a few things, well anything warm that is. Then came the worst part of the entire stay. When parking out in front of the hotel to load and unload my vehicle I received an $80, yeah I said $80, parking ticket for loading my vehicle under the awning of the hotel. Seriously!! And when we asked about it at the front desk they simply said that this happens all the time and they get some as well. Hey how about a heads up!! This is completely wrong! I understand that it is the city that imposes the rules, but come on! You can't even let your customers know they shouldn't park out front! Won't return in my lifetime Guaranteed!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Marc A
GMSHSSouthfield, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for staying at the Springhill Suites by Marriott during your last visit to Southfield, Michigan. We understand that you have a choice when you travel, and we’re so glad that you chose us for your accommodations. It was our pleasure to have had you stay with us. Every day our team works hard to exceed our guest's expectations, as our goal is to not only meet all of our guest's needs and expectations, but to also exceed them. After reading your review I do see that this time, this did not happen and for that I apologize. I have addressed your comments regarding the breakfast and the parking in front of our hotel with the staff and moving forward hopefully we have corrected these service and quality short falls. We appreciate all feedback to the hotel so that we can communicate your feedback to our staff, as every comment back to us, both positive and negative, will only make us stronger as a team and help us to improve all areas of the hotel. Thank you again for staying with us and it is my hope you will choose to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed here for a training in Southfield in mid June. The hotel is very nice. My room was clean, and convenient for my stay. The free breakfast was a great plus in the morning. Free high speed internet is always needed. The people at the front desk were always very pleasant and accommodating. There is a nice fitness center and pool. The price was pocket (company pocket) friendly. My only complaint with this hotel was the walls. I stayed next door to some people that came back to their room super early in the morning (like 1 and 2 a.m). They were not the most quiet group considering the time, and me having to get up early in the morning. I feel that if the walls were not so thin, I would not have been able to hear every bit of their conversation. I have never been in a hotel room where I could hear a whole conversation in detail. That is the only reason for taking a star off. Otherwise it was a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for staying at the Springhill Suites by Marriott during your last visit to Southfield, Michigan. We understand that you have a choice when you travel, and we’re so glad that you chose us for your accommodations. It was our pleasure to have had you stay with us. Every day our team works hard to exceed our guest's expectations, as our goal is to not only meet all of our guest's needs and expectations, but to also exceed them. After reading your review I do see that this time, this did not happen and for that I apologize. We appreciate all feedback to the hotel so that we can communicate your feedback to our staff, as every comment back to us, both positive and negative, will only make us stronger as a team and help us to improve all areas of the hotel. Thank you again for staying with us and it is my hope you will choose to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We have traveled a lot and stayed at a lot of different chains. This is a shame for Marriott. The hotel is clean and well maintained like the other review stated. The staff tried to be friendly, greeted us and helped me with a check in problem. However, the pool was cloudy and appeared to have been a long time since it was cleaned. The same with the hot tub where I would not let me children get in. The work out room was not very clean, and equipment was okay. 1 piece did not work, cable broken and no light hand weights under 15lbs, no mats or balls. I would say only 1 tread mill and 1 bike worked. Breakfast was very minimal, the staff was friendly at breakfast, but not much to chose from. The walls very thin. We were up all night listening to a party going on in the room next to us till 3:30am. Could hear all the conversations and even the F....words, and other swear words being said just like I was sitting there with them. Tried to call the front desk twice to see if they would ask them to be quiet. No one answered the phone at 3am. The halls were loud with people as much as the room next to us. It was the worst experience with a hotel stay. I would stay someplace else if you want a good nights sleep. Also, was told the room held 6 when I booked the reservation. The room only holds 6 if they are children. I had 3 adults, a 18 year old girl, 16 year old boy, and 9 year old girl. The beds were tiny and we could not fit everyone to sleep comfortably. The pull out was as tiny as the 2 beds.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you for staying at the Springhill Suites by Marriott during your last visit to Southfield, Michigan. We understand that you have a choice when you travel, and we’re so glad that you chose us for your accommodations. It was our pleasure to have had you stay with us. Every day our team works hard to exceed our guest's expectations, as our goal is to not only meet all of our guest's needs and expectations, but to also exceed them. After reading your review I do see that this time, this did not happen and for that I apologize. I have addressed your comments with the staff and moving forward hopefully we have corrected these service and quality short falls. We appreciate all feedback to the hotel so that we can communicate your feedback to our staff, as every comment back to us, both positive and negative, will only make us stronger as a team and help us to improve all areas of the hotel. Thank you again for staying with us and it is my hope you will choose to stay with us in the future.