“Average hotel - Conveniently located”

SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Wayland, Michigan
“Average hotel - Conveniently located”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed here for work last week and found the hotel staff to be very pleasant and accomodating. Rooms were updated but you could tell furniture was highly used and warn out. The fitness room was outdated and small and the pool and hottub looked clowdy and dirty. Fine for a work trip as it was very conveniently located and the rooms were clean - however I would probably never stay here for leisurely travel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Brewster, Kansas, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2012

There are several Marriott brand hotels, and other brands for that matter, to stay in the Detroit area. I can't say that I will ever return to this hotel for a number of reasons. First let me say that the staff was very nice, understanding and sympathetic to our situations while we were there. One reason for not returning would be the mold that was in the shower! Not an overly pleasant thing to wake up to in the morning. Then when going to breakfast, or lack there of, I enjoyed a toaster waffle and some yogurt. I thought it was a full breakfast, but hey they were out of a few things, well anything warm that is. Then came the worst part of the entire stay. When parking out in front of the hotel to load and unload my vehicle I received an $80, yeah I said $80, parking ticket for loading my vehicle under the awning of the hotel. Seriously!! And when we asked about it at the front desk they simply said that this happens all the time and they get some as well. Hey how about a heads up!! This is completely wrong! I understand that it is the city that imposes the rules, but come on! You can't even let your customers know they shouldn't park out front! Won't return in my lifetime Guaranteed!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Marc A
GMSHSSouthfield, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Springhill Suites by Marriott during your last visit to Southfield, Michigan. We understand that you have a choice when you travel, and we’re so glad that you chose us for your accommodations. It was our pleasure to have had you stay with us. Every day our team works hard to exceed our guest's expectations, as our goal is to not only meet all of our guest's needs and expectations, but to also exceed them. After reading your review I do see that this time, this did not happen and for that I apologize. I have addressed your comments regarding the breakfast and the parking in front of our hotel with the staff and moving forward hopefully we have corrected these service and quality short falls. We appreciate all feedback to the hotel so that we can communicate your feedback to our staff, as every comment back to us, both positive and negative, will only make us stronger as a team and help us to improve all areas of the hotel. Thank you again for staying with us and it is my hope you will choose to stay with us in the future.
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed here for a training in Southfield in mid June. The hotel is very nice. My room was clean, and convenient for my stay. The free breakfast was a great plus in the morning. Free high speed internet is always needed. The people at the front desk were always very pleasant and accommodating. There is a nice fitness center and pool. The price was pocket (company pocket) friendly. My only complaint with this hotel was the walls. I stayed next door to some people that came back to their room super early in the morning (like 1 and 2 a.m). They were not the most quiet group considering the time, and me having to get up early in the morning. I feel that if the walls were not so thin, I would not have been able to hear every bit of their conversation. I have never been in a hotel room where I could hear a whole conversation in detail. That is the only reason for taking a star off. Otherwise it was a great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at the Springhill Suites by Marriott during your last visit to Southfield, Michigan. We understand that you have a choice when you travel, and we’re so glad that you chose us for your accommodations. It was our pleasure to have had you stay with us. Every day our team works hard to exceed our guest's expectations, as our goal is to not only meet all of our guest's needs and expectations, but to also exceed them. After reading your review I do see that this time, this did not happen and for that I apologize. We appreciate all feedback to the hotel so that we can communicate your feedback to our staff, as every comment back to us, both positive and negative, will only make us stronger as a team and help us to improve all areas of the hotel. Thank you again for staying with us and it is my hope you will choose to stay with us in the future.
Oswego, New York
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We have traveled a lot and stayed at a lot of different chains. This is a shame for Marriott. The hotel is clean and well maintained like the other review stated. The staff tried to be friendly, greeted us and helped me with a check in problem. However, the pool was cloudy and appeared to have been a long time since it was cleaned. The same with the hot tub where I would not let me children get in. The work out room was not very clean, and equipment was okay. 1 piece did not work, cable broken and no light hand weights under 15lbs, no mats or balls. I would say only 1 tread mill and 1 bike worked. Breakfast was very minimal, the staff was friendly at breakfast, but not much to chose from. The walls very thin. We were up all night listening to a party going on in the room next to us till 3:30am. Could hear all the conversations and even the F....words, and other swear words being said just like I was sitting there with them. Tried to call the front desk twice to see if they would ask them to be quiet. No one answered the phone at 3am. The halls were loud with people as much as the room next to us. It was the worst experience with a hotel stay. I would stay someplace else if you want a good nights sleep. Also, was told the room held 6 when I booked the reservation. The room only holds 6 if they are children. I had 3 adults, a 18 year old girl, 16 year old boy, and 9 year old girl. The beds were tiny and we could not fit everyone to sleep comfortably. The pull out was as tiny as the 2 beds.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Springhill Suites by Marriott during your last visit to Southfield, Michigan. We understand that you have a choice when you travel, and we’re so glad that you chose us for your accommodations. It was our pleasure to have had you stay with us. Every day our team works hard to exceed our guest's expectations, as our goal is to not only meet all of our guest's needs and expectations, but to also exceed them. After reading your review I do see that this time, this did not happen and for that I apologize. I have addressed your comments with the staff and moving forward hopefully we have corrected these service and quality short falls. We appreciate all feedback to the hotel so that we can communicate your feedback to our staff, as every comment back to us, both positive and negative, will only make us stronger as a team and help us to improve all areas of the hotel. Thank you again for staying with us and it is my hope you will choose to stay with us in the future.
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Friendly people populate the hotel from the time ou check in until the time you check out. Must have a good manager because the entire staff bends over backwards to make sure your stay is great.

Room Tip: First time I was was on a higher floor. Last time I was on ground floor. I prefer ground floor and...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
GMSHSSouthfield, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us here at the SpringHill Suites Southfield. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and we a very happy to see that your stay was so great. We really try to not only meet the guest's needs but exceed them and it is great to see that you were satisfied with your stay. I will share your comments with the staff as a job well done. We hope to have you stay with us again. Thank you for choosing SpringHill Suites Southfield and have a great day!
michigan
Reviewed March 13, 2012

OK, the good first. The hotel is clean and well maintained. The staff is friendly.
Then, the bad. Despite being friendly the staff is inept at solving problems. This hotel is VERY NOISY with lots of kids running around screaming. Even adults were having loud arguments in the hallways at night. The walls are very thin and you hear everything (I don't need to know what is going on in the room next door). We called the front desk no less than FOUR TIMES asking for help about the noise. They apologized and did NOTHING! We were not offered to move to a different room despite plenty of available rooms at the hotel (we inquired the next day). We were promised an email from the manager which, of course, never arrived. Again, unwilling staff to do anything about complaints.
The king sized bed was OK, but the sleeper sofa was lumpy useless. About as comfortable as sleeping on the floor.
The pool is really and over-sized bathtub. The pool area is not stocked with towels, probably because the pool itself was filled with about 60 children. YES, I counted! Needless to say we were unable to use the pool. Only one treadmill, only one stair climber, only one exercise bike. Again, no towels and the equipment was dirty, so we left without using it.
Save yourself a headache and stay at one of the other hotels in the area!

Room Tip: NOISY with thin walls.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
GMSHSSouthfield, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, April 18, 2012

Every day our team work hard to exceed our guest's expectations, as our goal is to not only meet all of our guest's needs and expectations, but to also exceed them. After reading your review I do see that this time, this did not happen and for that I apologize. I have addressed your comments about noise and follow through with the staff and moving forward hopefully we have corrected these service and quality short falls. I am the new manager here and started after the date of your stay so I apologize that you were not contacted after such a challenging stay.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 11, 2012

We like SpringHill Suites but this was a terrible experience. This is a very noisy hotel. When the room next to us decided to party and smoke, the front desk was afraid to do anything so we were moved next to the noisy elevator. The noise from various guests continued well after midnight. Beds were very uncomfortable. Beware! Especially if you are staying here to sleep. If this is one of the best in Southfield then try another town.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank GreyFamilyTX

Every day our team work hard to exceed our guest's expectations, as our goal is to not only meet all of our guest's needs and expectations, but to also exceed them. After reading your review regarding the noise you experienced at the hotel we wanted to respond to ensure you we are working to improve this item at the hotel. We have been working with the staff to be more efficient in responding to guest complaints, and we have hired some additional staff to be more proactive regarding noise rather then reactive. We hope these improvements will improve our guests stay overall and we look forward to receiving feedback from those most important to us, our guests. Thank you very much for your feedback, feedback such as yours only helps us to improve our hotel for the better.