“Best sushi buffet I've ever been to!”

Tokyo Buffet Lounge
Ranked #18 of 202 Restaurants in Southfield
Cuisines: Asian
Columbus, Ohio
“Best sushi buffet I've ever been to!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I went here for the first time with my mom about a week ago and it's been on our minds ever since. I've been to numerous sushi buffets before and they're all pretty much the same: minimal selection and everything is stuffed with avocados. While I actually do like avocados, I cannot eat them because I will get some sort of unpleasant reaction from them. This place, however, had such a huge selection and more than half did not include avocados, thus allowing me to pig out! :) The rolls were fresh and always kept in stock. The rest of the buffet was just okay, nothing spectacular (besides the coconut shrimp, yum!), but I came for the sushi anyway and was very surprisingly pleased. We're planning our next trip up very soon!

• Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Hillside
“I give them good marks for additional food selection but...”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I am from Chicago and was planning a trip to visit relatives in Detroit and decided to perform research on restaurants in the Southfield area. I saw so many positive reviews on Tokyo Buffet Lounge, I decided to give them a try.

The buffet is located next to a theater, in a quiet area in Southfield. I arrived slightly after the lunch hour. I was impressed with the amount of food offered but one thing you must understand.

The nature of buffets are that food is not rotated on a regular basis. The harsh lights and steam tend to dry the food out. This would be a better than normal buffet if the food was swapped out on a more regular basis.

I would probably visit on a Friday or Saturday night as opposed to an afternoon visit.

I think it is worth an initial visit to find out for yourself.

J

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Videoman
Macomb, Michigan
“What a Selection!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I go here at least once a month with coworkers. It has the largest selection of Asian cuisine that I have ever seen. There is sushi, chinese, dim sum, and even mongolian barbecue. The last time I was there, I tried every piece of sushi and sashimi they had (about 20 types) and there was only one that I did not care for. I did not give it five stars for the following reasons: the service is not that great, some of the vegetables in the mongolian area were not fresh (brown), the dim sum is just OK, and I would like a better selection of soups (there was only 2 kinds).

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Paul M
Nashville, TN
“*** LOTS of Food-- Upper Echelon of Asian Buffets”
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We were in the Detroit area for a visit with relatives who come here regularly. Conveniently located adjacent to the AMC Star movie theatre, Tokyo Buffet is a flashy, lively place, in the shadow (if there is one) of the Star's neon lights.

As other reviewers have written, the buffet is extensive and varied, although "Tokyo Buffet" might suggest more on the Japanese side.

There's a long sushi spread,but some of the nigiri fish was a little dry, even on this busy night we ate here-- but not enough to keep me from eating lots of it. There's also a Mongolian barbecue with a load of choices.

Everything was well prepared and hot. Different than a lot of Pan-Asian buffets, there were several Cantonese selections such as Horseradish Cake, Water Chestnut Cake, and steamed chicken feet. And, there are a few American items like pizza. Among the desserts were fresh peeled and unpeeled lychees, which I seldom see at any restaurant.

Contrary to experiences of other reviewers, our server was attentive and pleasant.

While Tokyo Buffet was very satisfying, the prices are reasonable, and they offer dishes you won't find at other Asian buffets, keep in mind that this is excellent buffet fare, and not "fine food."

2 Thank Godenar
Detroit, Michigan
“100 times better than any buffet you've ever been to.”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I'm generally not a buffet person, but I recently went to Tokyo Buffet with some coworkers and... WOW! This place is REALLY good. There is a TON of food to choose from, including traditional Chinese dishes, sushi, dim sum, and even Mongolian style hibachi. It is very busy at lunch which is good because fresh food is constantly being brought out. In addition to the food, a full bar is also available. Don't fall into the trap of thinking this is just another buffet. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited November 2012