“What a Selection!”

Tokyo Buffet Lounge
Ranked #14 of 213 Restaurants in Southfield
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I go here at least once a month with coworkers. It has the largest selection of Asian cuisine that I have ever seen. There is sushi, chinese, dim sum, and even mongolian barbecue. The last time I was there, I tried every piece of sushi and sashimi they had (about 20 types) and there was only one that I did not care for. I did not give it five stars for the following reasons: the service is not that great, some of the vegetables in the mongolian area were not fresh (brown), the dim sum is just OK, and I would like a better selection of soups (there was only 2 kinds).

1  Thank Paul M

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We were in the Detroit area for a visit with relatives who come here regularly. Conveniently located adjacent to the AMC Star movie theatre, Tokyo Buffet is a flashy, lively place, in the shadow (if there is one) of the Star's neon lights.

As other reviewers have written, the buffet is extensive and varied, although "Tokyo Buffet" might suggest more on the Japanese side.

There's a long sushi spread,but some of the nigiri fish was a little dry, even on this busy night we ate here-- but not enough to keep me from eating lots of it. There's also a Mongolian barbecue with a load of choices.

Everything was well prepared and hot. Different than a lot of Pan-Asian buffets, there were several Cantonese selections such as Horseradish Cake, Water Chestnut Cake, and steamed chicken feet. And, there are a few American items like pizza. Among the desserts were fresh peeled and unpeeled lychees, which I seldom see at any restaurant.

Contrary to experiences of other reviewers, our server was attentive and pleasant.

While Tokyo Buffet was very satisfying, the prices are reasonable, and they offer dishes you won't find at other Asian buffets, keep in mind that this is excellent buffet fare, and not "fine food."

2  Thank Godenar
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I'm generally not a buffet person, but I recently went to Tokyo Buffet with some coworkers and... WOW! This place is REALLY good. There is a TON of food to choose from, including traditional Chinese dishes, sushi, dim sum, and even Mongolian style hibachi. It is very busy at lunch which is good because fresh food is constantly being brought out. In addition to the food, a full bar is also available. Don't fall into the trap of thinking this is just another buffet. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

2  Thank neovox
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I really like this place. The sushi is always good and they have so many different varieties. They serve both sushi and sashimi. They also have dim sum and assorted chinese food as well and crab legs. I have been here several times and it has always been good. They also have different desserts,

1  Thank lcr8720
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Wonderful service and selection and excellent food at an affordable price. Remeber to check the value pack for coupons. I love this place.

1  Thank Krystal W