“Holiday Inn Express Suites Southfield an Ugly Dirt Little Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Suites Southfield
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
MikeFromOhio
“Holiday Inn Express Suites Southfield an Ugly Dirt Little Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2007

The entire experience was much less than what I expected from Holiday Inn Express locations. A typical experience is a clean comfortable room with good service.

I contacted the hotel directly but had difficulty making a reservation to the staffs inability to operate the hotels computer system. When I arrived the hotel looked OK from the outside but quickly fell down. The hallway and loby rugs had black paths of ground in dirt. The elevators were filthy with old dirty hand prints. Coming off the elevator I was again greated by carpeting with ground in dirt. My room wasn't any different. The walls were dirty and scuffed up, the furniture was not terribly worn but dirty.

After checking out I felt like I wanted to go take a long shower and throw everything that I had brought with me away.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank MikeFromOhio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2007

I had to go to Southfield, MI for work and the Westin was too expensive so I stayed at the Hawthorn, which was a huge mistake. I was there for 3 nights and it was so bad that I switched to the Westin after 2 nights and paid the difference myself!

Where do I start? When I checked in the front desk agent seemed to be flirting with me and he was staring at me in a strange way. This completely creeped me out and made me fear for my safety since I was traveling alone. When I got to my room, at first I thought it was going to be ok because it is a big 2-room suite, but then I realized it was dirty. The coffee maker had stale coffee in it, and there were pretzels on the floor. Someone had left food in the mini fridge and it smelled bad. The padlock on my door was broken and hanging on its hinges. I called the front desk and changed rooms so I could at least lock my door properly!

I switched rooms and the next room was at least clean. At around 1:00am, I woke up and it was very hot, and I noticed warm air was pouring out of the vents (I had the A/C on). I called the front desk and the person told me to turn down the temp and just wait, and then he hung up on me. I was so fed up at this point that I just dealt with it. I had problems with the A/C the second night as well.

For the third night, I decided to stay at the Westin which is right around the corner. It was like heaven compared to the Hawthorn. I would never stay in this Hawthorn again and would not recommend it to anyone!

• Liked — It was close to my business meeting
  • Disliked — Dirty room, rude front desk agent, felt unsafe with broken lock, A/C not working
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the Westin--it's worth the extra money!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Kris0173

Travelers are raving about these Southfield hotels

Portland, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2006

My family and I stayed in this motel for my sister's wedding last year, and we were delighted by the hotel's cleanliness, comfort, and above all, the extensive breakfast bar.
The bar was loaded with delicious hot foods such as waffles, pancakes, grits and oatmeal, as well as an assortment of various juices, tea, and coffee.
The staff was professional, friendly, and eager to help. The only problem I had with the room was that the lighting wasn't bright enough in the bedroom-other than that, it can't get any better than this! Keep up the great work! :)

• Stayed September 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2006

I stumbled upon the Hawthorn Suites, Southfield by chance. After being booked at another local hotel in the area, and while out shopping I walked into the Hawthorn Suites to ask for directions. The staff were more than accomodating, while there i asked to view one of their suites, and found it to be more than accomodating, and spacious. The hotel itself was very well kept and clean. The breakfast was surprising! While most hotels offer a continental breakfast, Hawthorn Suites offers a full service breakfast buffet. I think I've found a home!

• Stayed January 2006
Toronto, ON
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2005

$110 rate gets you:

A hotel where you have to use a telephone to order movies (with the special credit-card machine attached?)

No thanks - I'll take the Westin next door ($170/night) anyday!

(This review is honest, and to ensure parity of the Southfield, MI rankings; this hotel is currently ranked ABOVE the Westin at the time of authoring)

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business