“Nice facilities with horrible customer service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn South Haven

Hampton Inn South Haven
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Chicago
“Nice facilities with horrible customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed here one night during the Blueberry Festival. We arrived at the hotel very late - approximately 11PM and were told the hotel along with all others in a 100 mile radius were booked solid. Our room was fine, but did smell of a past smoker. Knowing there were no other rooms we retired for the evening. When we woke in the morning we discovered most of the electricity in our room was out. Some things worked others did not. The phone in the room was out. My husband went downstairs to find out they had a generator problem. You would think a note under everyone's door would have been in order - especially for those with special needs. We quickly showered and got ourselves to check out. When I mentioned to the clerk about any kind of compensation I was introduced to the manager. The manager - Saima Farrukh - barely apologized and said because I booked through Expedia there was nothing I could do. When I informed her of the past smoker in our room her response to me was why did I not ask for another room. THE HOTEL WAS COMPLETELY FULL!! It's their busiest weekend of the year. I know that. Again I was told I should have booked directly with the hotel. I had to explain the only way I was able to book a room was through Expedia because the hotel showed sold out. It because a battle of who was right and who was wrong with the manager intent on pointing out I should have booked directly with the hotel. I have never had this type of experience with Hampton Inn in the past and have to attribute our negative impression only to the management. Everyone else was trying to do their best. Also note - beds are full size not queen!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank ckpd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Toledo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were greeted at the fron desk by the general manager who was extremely nice. After checking in, we were informed tht we had received an upgrade. As we walked through the lobby, we noticed how beautiful it was. The room was very clean and smelled wonerful. The bed was very comfortabe. We had an excellent stay!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

southhaven1555, Manager at Hampton Inn South Haven, responded to this review, November 25, 2013

Reena Mehta
Bloomington, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were driving home from Mackinac Island and looking for a good place to spend the night when we drove into South Haven. The Hampton was pricey, but there was a huge festival going on so it made sense. Hotel is beautiful, clean, quiet, comfortable and provides a large breakfast menu. Staff is very friendly and helpful. We were given suggestions for dinner and chose a new restaurant, "Taste", which was excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Reena Mehta
Goshen, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Our stay was really nice beginning with the friendly staff. We had ridden the Kal Haven bike trail from Kalamazoo so we asked where we could put our bikes, and she wasn't at all put out and instructed us to take them through the lobby out onto the fenced patio where they would be safe. The room was very nice, clean, large and comfortable. The cookies in the evening were a nice perk and the breakfast was great. We walked into town and there were nice sidewalks the entire way. If I had to pick something that wasn't excellent, it would be that it was a bit noisy from the outside traffic and the elevator, however, we were there on a week night, the hotel wasn't full and by bedtime both the traffic and elevator noise had stopped. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Choose one away from both the elevator and the road
Grand Blanc, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Check your confirmation since they will make your reservation for the wrong days. If you say checking in this Sunday and checking out Saturday, even if it's Thursday the day you make it, make sure you check the dates and give them the actual days. If not, when you show up, they'll let you know it's your fault the reservation is wrong and if they are full, well, unless the 3rd shift guy Terence is there, you're out of luck.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were welcomed by a very friendly lady at the reception. Rooms are spacious and clean. Breakfast buffet with sausage and potatoes, bagels, toast, muffins, fresh fruit, waffles, ...
Coffee and tea all day long at reception.
A baby crib is available + chair at breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
southhaven1555, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn South Haven, responded to this review, September 5, 2013

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Despite positive reviews on tripadvisor, I was disappointed in my recent stay at the Hampton Inn South Haven.

The bathroom was dirty, including grimy grout and finish peeling from the bottom of the door. So much so that my husband and I did not use the bath! Additionally, the dirty carpeting contained pieces of unpopped popcorn.

Outdoor and pool spaces included dusty fake plants and unattractive, deadreal plants for a very poor aesthetic.

The breakfast area was much too small to accommodate all the guests, as was the pool area. Overcrowded to the point of total annoynace. Further, the pool was cold and the "hot tub" could not even be described as lukewarm. As a longtime HHonors member, have higher expectations of Hampton and the Hilton family.

1 Thank Lisa D
Thank you for taking time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am glad that your stay was wonderful and look forward in seeing you again in the near future. I have addressed this issue with our front desk manager and I am truly sorry your stay with us was not as what you expected. I have addressed this issue with our staff.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Haven
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph
4.0 of 5 stars 154 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph

Been to Hampton Inn South Haven? Share your experiences!