“Outstanding Casual Italian Dining” 5 of 5 bubbles

Maria's
Ranked #4 of 68 Restaurants in South Haven
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kalamazoo, MI
“Outstanding Casual Italian Dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2008

We enjoyed Maria's little cafe for lunch one day while in town, then went back for dinner. Everything was delicious, and my wife is a serious Italian cook who rarely agrees to eat pasta outside of her own kitchen. Service was relaxed and friendly. I recommend the BLT wrap for lunch and the mushroom "grandoli"
for dinner. Bring your own wine, they will cork it for you. Unpretentious, relaxed, just like a vacationer likes to be.
Absolutely recommended.

1 Thank kazoolifer

“i didn't find it as great as the others”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2008

Finally got a chance to try Marias on a recent trip to my favorite city...it's a small place (I think i counted 7-8 tables) in the old Swiss bakery shop...we had the spagetti & meatballs (tasty sauce but my companion thought the meatballs were premade at least a couple of days before) and a tuscan chicken wrap(very tasty with a small cup of a good pasta salad). Appetizers were a salad and soup(good but VERY small portions and i'm not a big eater).
My real issue was for a tab of 30 bucks (water only) I would figure I might get real dishes for dinner--the sandwich was served in a basket and the other items were in melamine. The atmosphere is cramped and my table was immediately outside the bathroom (unisex but very nice)
Kudos for the service however! Attentive and fast.
I think they'd make a great lunch spot and the pizza looked pretty good but I'd pass on them for dinner.

1 Thank flizzer
Kansas City
“The perfect place to take your family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2008

We spent Labor Day weekend in South Haven with two other families. We were 10 people total including 4 children all under the age of 3. We chose Maria's for our big Saturday night dinner out after reading some great reviews here on Trip Advisor. The reviews couldn't have been more right. This place is wonderful. Not only is the location great and the food top notch, but the service is what really sets it apart from other restaurants in South Haven. We had lunch at a couple other places in town (won't name names here) and were somewhat turned off by the service. It's hard when you have that many small kids and we try very hard not to bother people or leave too big of a mess. These other restaurants made us feel uncomfortable, but Maria's felt like home.

Our server (wish we had gotten her name) couldn't have been any nicer. She was incredibly attentive and very friendly. One of the tricks to dining with small kids is to get their orders in as soon as you can. Our server came right the table to ask if we wanted to order early for the kids (that never happens!). And to really top it off, no less than two minutes after taking the kids' orders, she returned to the table with the meals and said the kitchen made them for another table but since the rest of that order wasn't ready yet, they wanted us to take them instead. I think we were all in shock. All of the food from the stuffed shells to the lasagna to the pizza was excellent. The prices were reasonable and you can bring your own wine. Even the other patrons seemed genuinely happy to be there and were very friendly with the kids. All of us adults can't stop talking about how GREAT Maria's is. We hope to be back again soon. We came all the way from Kansas for our Labor Day vacation and dinner at Maria's wil certainly be one of the highlights. It's number one for good reason!

Indiana
“Maria's -- Best Italian in S. Haven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

Had a wonderful meal at Maria's. It's a small place, but the staff is friendly. I think they were a bit understaffed the evening we were there, which bothered some guests, but we were fine. Kids had a pizza, which seemed good. DH had a great pulled-pork sandwich, and I had wild mushroom ravioli -- excellent. FYI -- they do not have alcohol on their menu, but you can bring your own -- they do charge a $5 bottle opening fee.

Michigan
“Great place with friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

Have been there on several occasions and have been more than satisfied with our dinner.

A quaint place with very friendly staff.

Would recommend it to anyone with good taste