“Solidly average”
Review of Sand Castle Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Haven
Sand Castle Inn
Ranked #7 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Stayed two nights in October 08. Nothing stands out as bad on its own but nothing stands out as outstanding, other than proximity to town and the beach. Our room was quiet enough, but I don't think there were many guests that weekend. It was mostly clean but a little dingy in places. Our balcony was nice but it faces a neighboring condo so other times of the year it probably wouldn't feel as private -- no one was around that weekend.

Staff were pleasant, if scarce at times other than breakfast. The breakfast could be better if there were a dedicated dining space rather than tables on the porch. It felt less like a B&B and more like a crowded stay-over at a relative's house.

Overall not a bad place but it didn't feel luxurious to match the luxurious prices. We had a much nicer stay at the Seymour House a few years back and would recommend it over the Sand Castle Inn.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 21, 2009

My husband and I were in desperate need of a getaway. We found Sand Castle Inn online, read the reviews on tripadvisor.com and booked a 3 night stay. We picked a perfect weekend, the weather was amazing and we couldn't be happier with the accomodations. The breakfast every morning was great. Carlene was thoughtful enough to make sure we were having fun and made sure we knew everything there was to do in town. We stayed in the only room on the 3rd floor, it was spacious, clean and inviting. We loved the fireplace and balcony. And to top if off, you cannot beat the location, we walked to the beach and you can even walk to downtown. Don't forget to make time to see the sunset! Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LiveToRide1215
Reviewed August 15, 2008

The Inn is an extremely pleasant place to spend a few nights. I came from Ann Arbor with my parents and boyfriend, and we all enjoyed the quiet downtime of South Haven. The Sand Castle Inn has nice, clean rooms that are well-decorated, and the balconies on each room are a definite plus - as are the lovely common areas, especially the front porch. Breakfast was good, and the staff were hospitable; of many bed&breakfast experience I have had, this was one of the nicest. (it helped that breakfast was served until 10:30, which for a late riser like me, is exciting, because it's rare to find b&b's serving breakfast past 9 am! possibly this attests to the low-key atmosphere of the town) Overall it was a peaceful visit, and I would recommend this property if a peaceful visit is what you want! I would say the only non-peaceful part is that you can often hear (we could hear it from our room on the 2nd floor) children splashing around in the pool, which if you are trying to enjoy quiet time on your balcony or in the room could be distracting - there didn't seem to be any children staying at the Inn, but there were some in the condos that are also on the property, so that's something to keep in mind for travelers who are children-averse (I know there are some!).

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank vatoca
Reviewed July 26, 2008

We stayed in the Royal Suite which is a round room on the 2nd floor with a private bath and balcony. It was a lovely room with a king size bed and fireplace. We could walk to the beach or to the nearby shops and museums. The location was excellent! In the morning we were served a yummy breakfast by our innkeeper on the large porch which looks out over the park and gardens. Our innkeeper was a fine hostess and was busy at her work every moment I saw her. The owners of this bed and breakfast were there but were not friendly. The female owner was rude by interrupting my conversation with the innkeeper because she was in a rush to find a tape measure. I felt insulted by this interruption. The owner did not acknowledge me as a guest and I felt that she was rude to her innkeeper and me as a guest. The owners should either be hospitable or not show their faces during times when the innkeeper is busy with the guests. The carpet in our room had stains and was in need of a heavy duty cleaning or replacement. Other than this, the bedding and furnishings were nice and clean. The bathroom was immaculate. I would definitely stay here again. We ate at a restaurant called Clementines for dinner. There was a very long wait and the food was just average. The fried fish at the bar near the drawbridge looked delicious. We would have been better off eating there. Maybe next time!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2008

My husband and I stayed at The Sand Castle Inn for one night for our first getaway since our daughter was born. We found our room to be clean with a very comfy king size bed. The staff was friendly and the food was simple and delicious. We enjoyed the cookies that were always out and liked that we weren't forced to sit at a communal table for breakfast. However, I did think the place could use some cosmetic work. The neutral colored carpet in our room was stained in several places and there were lots of scuff marks on the walls. That being said, I might consider staying there again, but I might consider staying somewhere else on a return trip to South Haven, too.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2008

My husband and i just returned from a last minute weekend getaway in South West Michigan. We have never been in that area before because we usually go to Door County Wisconsin for a weekend getaway but decided to try Michigan after someonend gave us a good bottle of wine from that area. We stayed one night @ the Sand Castle Inn because they had a last minute special. The Inn was beautiful and clean. Our room The Tower Suite was perfect. It had a fireplace and a nice balcony that we could not enjoy because of the weather. The best part though was breakfast. We liked the egg casserole, fresh fruits with lavender and lemon zest(Patty even gave me the recipe), banana bread, yogurt and many others. They even serve appetizers in the afternoon. The innkeeper - Patty was very friendly, welcoming and helpful. Had dinner at Tello's Italian Rest. The food was good but service marginal. Will not go back to Tello's. But will probably go back @ The Sand Castle Inn when the opportunity arises. One thing i wish they would change though is to remove the fake plants and fake flowers.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alwaystraveling99
Reviewed September 23, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Sand Castle during our first trip to South Haven. If you plan to spend most of your time exploring the lakeshore and WONDERFUL downtown shops, this is a great place to stay. The common areas at the Sandcastle Inn don't have the character that some other B&Bs have (mainly with respect to preserving the historical character), and while the rooms are very nice, they may not appeal to travellers looking for case studies in historical preservation....BUT, South Haven is way too inviting to spend all your time in your room. One huge redeeming factor of the Inn's charm is the lovely porch...a long, wrap-around porch where guests can enjoy their [very yummy] breakfasts and have a bit of privacy (not many options for community seating/dining, which may be a negative for some but I found the privacy refreshing at that point in our trip). The location can't be beat...steps from the lake and a short walk (3 blocks or so) to the downtown (which is so delightful...visit Blue-Eyed Girl for a bit of shopping; have dinner at Clementines, and enjoy an intoxicating Lake Michigan sunset)

When we booked our stay, the Sancastle was running a special...$100 for any room. I thought this was a good deal, and would definitely book another room at the Sandcastle if I found this special offer again.

Enjoy South Haven! You won't regret this trip...

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Seymour House
Seymour House
#3 of 16 in South Haven
Kingsley House Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Sand Castle Inn? Share your experiences!