“Comforts of home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Haven
Martha's Vineyard Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Howell, Michigan
“Comforts of home”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We have visited Martha's Vineyard several times. We have actually lost track of how many times we have been there since 2004. We have stayed in all the rooms except 1 (which we plan to visit soon)... Whenever we need a relaxing weekend away this is where we go. Each room has its own unique quality. The food whether delivered to your room or shared with other guests in the dining room is delicious. Ginger and Lou could not be any nicer or more accommodating. The grounds outside are gorgeous and make for great pictures. We would recommend doing a wine tour, especially in the fall. There is a lot of unique shops in downtown South Haven. Are favorite thing to do is watch the sunset on Lake Michigan down at the Pier. Favorite food places: Subs N More, Clementines (great onion rings) and for Italian ...The Vineyard.
Thanks, we will be back soon.
The Yankos

Room Tip: The rooms in the Guest House has jacuzzis
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 19, 2013

In July of 2012, after my return from a long business trip in South Korea, my husband surprised me with an extended weekend trip in South Haven, MI. As men usually do, he waited until the last minute to find a B&B for the trip, but it was a blessing that he booked our stay at Martha’s Vineyard.
We had the smallest room at the B&B due to the late booking, but it was a beautiful room and very private. My favorite wine and chocolate covered strawberries were waiting for me in our room, when we arrived. The big house is lovely and offers refreshments in the evening, which is a welcome treat after a long day of shopping and walking on the beach. Breakfast was brought to our room each morning in a cute picnic basket, which allowed us to enjoy a romantic meal on the balcony with heavenly sounds of nature’s early morning symphony and the gentle beauty of the warm glowing sun as it illuminated the grape vines and garden. We will be going back soon!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bourbonnais, Illinois
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Located just a few miles outside of South Haven, MI this B&B is perfect if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing place in the country. Even though it is an older home, it is like going home! Reminds me of visiting family in the country. We spent two nights in The Nantucket Suite with the best view of the grounds from our second story balcony. Loved the amazing grounds with the gazebo, picnic table and several areas to sit and relax. We particularly enjoyed the fire pit! Breakfast was delivered to our room since we were in the guest house rather than the main house. It was still warm and delicious! Lou & Ginger were very welcoming! As written on the website, it is true - you may come as strangers but leave as friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband (boyfriend at the time) had our first romantic getaway at Martha's Vineyard in August 2012. We arrived on a cold, rainy Friday night, very late. We were greeted with such warmth by Debbie and shown to our room in the guest house. Debbie asked if we had any food restrictions and I indicated that I had celiac disease, which means I cannot have anything containing gluten (made from rye, wheat, or barley). Honestly, I expected to get a fruit plate and a few strips of bacon the next morning, so I was ecstatic when I opened up my picnic basket to find gluten-free blueberry pancakes!!! They were absolutely delicious! Breakfast the next morning was just as good. Scott and I loved the grounds and really enjoyed our time there - so much so that when he proposed, we decided to have our wedding there. We were recently married at Martha's Vineyard on July 20, 2013. It could not have been more perfect. Lou and Ginger went out of their way to make sure everything went smoothly and that every detail was perfect. It was like getting married at a good friend's house. Our guests loved the grounds and their rooms. And Ginger made all of the food for the event, including many gluten-free options for me and a few others. She even went out of her way to make gluten-free dinner rolls (something I never thought I'd get to eat again). Every moment of the weekend was absolutely lovely. Before we left, we booked the Fairhaven room for our anniversary weekend!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are lovely and the pictures on the website are accurate depictions. Our personal f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jsumpie
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We were exploring the Lake Michigan shoreline. Martha's Vineyard was a lovely haven with a very warm welcome. We booked the West Tisbury room, very comfortable homely room. The B&B has lovely touches to make your stay relaxing. Library's of DVDs to borrow and watch in your room, cookies and lemonade to help yourself to, and menus for all the local restaurants so you can choose at your leisure for that evening. The breakfast is a real experience, it's almost like a four course dinner to set you up for the day with real homemade flair. It's also lovely to meet your fellow guests and exchange tips on the places to go and visit. The hospitality is amazing, we had no idea on where we were headed next, the owners helped with advice and calling guesthouses for us. All in all a lovely experience!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was the first time my husband and I had stayed at a B&B. We were put off at the way we were greeted by the inn keeper.
We were early for our check in. We apologized we had made better time than we thought we would. She was quick to scold us for it. When we entered the main house it had all of the appeal of a funeral home. We were taken out to the guest house our room was the Nantucket suite it was a nice layout however it needed much work and had a musty basement smell. Our room was off of a utility room that was always open it gave us an uneasy feeling knowing while we were sleeping
anyone could just walk in our room. The final straw and the most upsetting. Upon check in we were asked if we had any food allergies I have a nut and seed allergy. On our second morning when our breakfast was delivered one of the containers was marked NO NUTS on the top so I knew that was mine. I was disappointed to find the item was not nut free rather it was full of nuts. I tried to catch the woman that delivered it but I missed her. I had no choice but to call the main house. This is where my disappointment turned to anger the woman on the other end felt compelled to correct me when I said that the item was full of nuts. She then asked if I could just pick the nuts off!!!! rather than make me a new breakfast.. Are you kidding me???. If I didn't have a legitimate food allergy I would have never said that I did. If you don't give a crap about your guests and their
dietary needs you shouldn't ask them upon check-in those questions. Overall it was a horrible experience and feel as though we wasted our hard earned money. I would caution others about making this your lodging choice.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank motpt
michigangigi3, Owner at Martha's Vineyard Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
As the owner of Martha's Vineyard Bed & Breakfast we take each guest's experience seriously and in to consideration to ensure the type of quality experience that we desire for all of our guests. We use helpful thoughts and suggestions to make improvements for their experience with us. This review causes us concern, first because the guest did not enjoy their visit with us the way that we would desire, but secondly because they did not relay it to others accurately to be helpful in making their own lodging choice. We have been innkeepers/owners of Martha's Vineyard for 10 years and we have never "scolded" a guest for arriving early. If their room is ready we will accommodate them and check them in, as we did with this guest. If the room is not ready we will make a suggestion of a possible lunch destination downtown and ask them to return after we have time to finish our daily chores. The Nantucket Room does have an adjoining door that goes to a laundry room, this door is closed and locked, which it was evidently left unlocked one of the days that they were with us because one of the housekeepers did find the guest in the laundry room helping herself to some additional towels to take to their room. This door should have been locked and has been addressed with our housekeeping staff. The Nantucket room is a 2-story room, not located in a basement. We do ask our guests about food allergies, and do take them very seriously. The day that the guests refers to with the nuts on her breakfast, there was a mistake. Not intentional as is evident because she mentions that the container did state "no nuts." In that same breakfast basket we had made a special granola for her without any nuts. The dish that she is referring to is our Caramel Apple Pancake that I top with whipped cream and garnish with 2-3 pecans, in preparing this basket I added them to hers. When she phoned the office I answered the phone, she told me that the mistake had been made. I was the one that asked if the pecans could be removed, she said no, I told her that I would make her a new breakfast and that it would take a few minutes. A complete new breakfast was made and delivered to her room. We have accommodated so many guests with food allergies and have had rave reviews because we have taken care of their special needs, this mistake is upsetting to me, but it was a mistake, not intentional, and corrected. We are sorry that they did not enjoy their stay with us as we had intended.
Shorewood, Illinois
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here with my husband recently. I booked a room in the main house. Then we were asked if we would mind moving to the guest house. I wasn't real happy about it at first. The room I booked was based on the description and how it looked in the photos. The room in the guest house was the same price and was available when I was making the reservation. So, if I had wanted that room, I would have booked it. I felt like I didn't really have a choice when asked to move to a different room. They were nice about it, but still, I felt they should have offered a discount for asking us to move. Anyway, the room we were moved to ended up being fine. The room was cozy, very comfortable bed, nice and cool (I'm in that hot flash stage of my life), and the robes were really nice.
We explored the grounds, which were beautiful. Relaxed for a while on one of the hammocks. Grabbed a couple of movies from the main house in the evening. There were cookies, lemonade and water in the afternoon. Breakfast was served to us promptly at 9am, when they said it would be. I'm not an egg/omelet person, but my husband loved that. We also had a cup of fruit, cinnamon rolls, OJ and coffee. All was very good. One thing kind of odd... one of the plates that were in our room was dirty. Other than that, breakfast was good.
You have everything you could need or want. There is a kitchen area that is shared with the other rooms in the guest house. It has a fridge, microwave, some snacks, coffee in the AM is brought out from the house to the kitchen - that was nice.
I liked that the location of the B&B was a little ways down the road and not right in the busy area of town. Only a 5-10 minute drive though. It was nice and quiet.
I would recommend this B&B. We will be returning in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple