“Fabulous "Girls Getaway" place to stay.”

The Last Resort B & B Inn
Ranked #6 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Birch Run, Michigan
“Fabulous "Girls Getaway" place to stay.”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

After a strange and scary "twilight zone" type drive from the Detroit area, my girlfriends and I landed on the doorstep of The Last Resort B&B Inn. It was getting dark and we were tired and hungry and praying for some place to have availability for the weekend. We were in luck! Mary and Alberto the inn-keepers welcomed us with smiles and open arms. They showed us several different options of rooms (all beautiful) and we decided to go with the "harborview penthouse" on the third (top) floor. Mary & Alberto gave us a wonderful deal!. It was just what we envisioned when planning this annual "girls getaway" weekend. It was a beautiful, airy, spacious and comfortable suite with private bathroom and kitchen area. More than enough room for the four of us. We loved the balcony with the view of the harbor -- very quiet and peaceful. The common areas were also beautiful with many works of art by Mary and others from Mary & Alberto's many travels. They had absolutely beautiful jewelry, handbags, shoes and other crafts for sale from their second home -- Colombia, South America. The breakfasts are titled continental -- but are really so much more! They serve a yogurt/freash granola/freash fruit parfait that is to-die-for! Lake Michigan beach access is right across the street from the inn and the main drag of South Haven - shopping, restaurants, harbor, lighthouse, etc. - are walking distance away. We would definitely recommend The Last Resort for any kind of getaway - girls-only or romantic. The inn-keepers were very friendly and accommodating (Mary is actually hilarious!). We are already planning next year's "girls-only getaway" at The Last Resort Inn!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We heard about The Last Resort from my hairdresser... and wow were we surprised! We arrived late at night to this quaint B&B and when we arrived we had no idea how amazing our weekend for two would be!

Mary and Alberto are great hosts and are there for direction and also know how to let us enjoy the surroundings for ourselves! The breakfast was great, our room was sweet, and bed super comfy!

The area has so much to offer! Saturday we visited a winery and stopped by Saugatuck where there was SO much going on. We stopped by a few wine tasting stores, grabbed a piece of amazing coconut cheesecake and decided to had back to The Last Resort for a bit more peace and calmness! We had some wine that we bought from the winery and went to Tello's in downtown South Haven, MI - we highly recommend this spot for fine dining!

Sunday morning we started with a great run, some lunch on the front porch and then we hit up the beach! The beach is literally across the street and beautiful! The weather was amazing - hot and a bit of a breeze! We headed into town again and grabbed a light snack and a chilled coffee! The town is super cute and within walking distance to The Last Resort! We ended up going back and wrapping up another bottle of wine with an awesome cheese tray/fruit plate on the front porch, then headed over for margaritas and burritos at the local taco place - they have great rooftop seating and great music!

The pier and harbor is right in the backyard of The Last Resort... which is beautiful! Next time we visit we are going to take a boat tour! We really liked that we could pretty much park our car there and walk to dinner and town... My significant other and I had a great weekend together and some awesome one on one time!

I definitely recommend visiting The Last Resort soon... we are planning our next weekend getaway within the upcoming weeks!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 22, 2009

My wife and I have been coming here for years. From the first visit, it truly feels like a home away from home. It is a very relaxed easy going environment (not formal and stuffy like some B&Bs). Just perfect for unwinding before watching a picture perfect sunset from the front porch. The front and back porches are huge and they even have a little picnic area overlooking the harbor in the back yard. FABULOUS!
Mary & Alberto - the owners - are down to earth and super friendly but not intrusive. They have a wonderful collection of international music you can listen to any time day or night. There's unique art all over the mansion, and wonderful music during breakfast. Sometimes Mary will sing or play her flute along with the music, and occasionally people will even dance!
The location is absolutely perfect - walk right across the street to the beach. The beach feels like you're in Hawaii or someplace far far away (see the photo). It's the best beach we've ever been too. When you stay here you never have to drive anywhere the entire weekend. It's so convenient.
The serve yourself continental breakfasts are light and yummy. Nothing fancy but still satisfying. I just can't say enough good things about this home away from home.
It's affordable and unique. I highly recommend making a visit!
OH, and it's KID FRIENDLY!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bosabri
detroit, michigan
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My husband and I travelled with 17 of our closest friends to a Bed & Breakfast in S.Haven. Never being there before, we didn't know what to expect. From the moment we walked in the door we were greeted and treated as family. The owners Mary and Alberto (along with their staff) were so gracious and hospitable. We had the time of our lives. With a group as large as ours there was plenty of space throughout the house for eating, dancing, watching, t.v., ect. Our favorite place to be was on the huge front deck with patio tables and umbrellas. What a view! Just 1 block away to the sandy, clean beach on Lake Michigan and short walking distance to S. Haven's downtown area full of restaurants, shopping and entertainment within minutes. My husband and I recommend this Bed & Breakfast highly. denisefik@hotmail.com

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Both my wife and I remember visiting South Haven in the 50's as children. As a last minute Labor Day get-away, we decided to try South Haven again. The weather was gorgeous and we knew we might have trouble finding a place. After several calls, the tourist bureau told us of a last minute opening at The Last Resort. (We laughed to ourselves, that our last resort, was "The Last Resort!") We knew, before going, that all of the older, Catskill style resorts from our childhoold were gone. Instead, the North Beach tourist area now consists of condos, more condos, and several Bed and Breakfasts. The Last Resort (the old Plaza Hotel from the 40s and 50s) is now a charming Bed & Breakfast run by Mary, who purchased it in 1979 after it had been closed for 20 years, and now operates it with her husband Alberto. Mary just completed her 25th Summer. The Last Resort is convenienly located near the public beach, right across the street. The beach is relatively uncrowded and nicer than most beaches I have been to in Florida and the Caribbean and nicer than any beach I have been to in Michigan. Mary, the owner, is an artist and human dyanamo. If you are lucky, you might get the chance to see her and Alberto doing a Salsa dance to entertain the breakfast group. During the day you can hear her charming laugh throughout the Inn. This B & B is extremely clean, arty (Mary & Alberto's work), well-decorated, and cozy. It is casual, yet maintains the decorum of B & B. The breakfast is more of a continental style, with fruit, bagels, English muffins, and Alberto's famous banana bread. Of course coffee and OJ as well. There are plenty of public areas to take your breakfast, or to sit and read and relax. We truly enjoyed our experience at the Last Resort Inn and will return for sure.

• Liked — Cleanliness and closeness to beach
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 6, 2008

I just checked out of The Last Resort after a one night stay. I wish I could have stayed longer. I was in the Studio room, which at first seemed oddly long and narrow but turned out to be extremely comfortable. The harbor view from the high table at one end was great and the bed was perfect. I am a little like the protagonist in "The Princess and the Pea" and there is usually something about most beds that annoys me and keeps me awake. This time, I fell asleep almost immediately. Both the mattress and the pillows satisfied a very finicky sleeper.

I peeked into the vacant Harbor View suite next door and it was very spacious, with a full kitchen, jacuzzi and large seating area separating the two queen sized beds. Best of all, it had an enormous balcony overlooking the harbor. When I go back, I'd like to stay there, although for the price I was very happy in the Studio room.

It was up three flights of stairs but the owner carried my bag for me. Unlike some of the reviews I read, I found the owners to be gracious and welcoming. From the moment I arrived, they made me feel at home.

The location is great -- between the beach and the harbor area and an easy walk to town. It was very quiet overnight.

The breakfast was simple but very good. It was not a full meal like some B&Bs, but it was more than a simple continental with fruit, a delicious yogurt parfait, bagels & cream cheese or English muffins and excellent coffee. You serve yourself, but the staff is right there to show you where to find things, The breakfast room is bright and pleasant, decorated with the owners' paintings and photographs.

• Liked — The comfortable bed, the location, the warm welcome
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
WINONA LAKE
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Wow - what a great place to stay! The hosts (Mary and Alberto) are amazing - they took care of our needs, provided delicious homebaked goods for breakfast, and treated us like family. The place is decorated simply but with style and flare - and the original artwork by both Mary and Alberto adds to the unique flavor of the rooms. Our room was very comfortable and quiet. The B&B is located close to beaches, shopping, food, etc. We got to meet a few regular guests and spent one rainy morning / afternoon listening to Mary play her flute along with some Latin Jazz, while reading and talking with new friends. We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Haven
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Comfort Suites South Haven
Comfort Suites South Haven
#8 of 11 in South Haven

Been to The Last Resort B & B Inn? Share your experiences!