“not our favorite”

The Last Resort B & B Inn
Ranked #6 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We loved the location of this Inn but would not return. We felt that it was very overpriced, and it felt like the furnishings were from someone's student apartment days. It did not feel well-maintained. Not particularly pleasant. The strangest feature was that we had to bring our own towels!! And because we were staying in a room with a dilapidated kitchen, we were not provided breakfast. At a B&B!!

2  Thank emmyandmom

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I really like this B & B and have been coming here on and off for almost 10 years now, BUT I need to forewarn potential guests before they book a room.
You will now be asked to bring your own bath towels, hand towels and wash cloths. Not sure why...I assume they are trying to save some money. Just sort of a bummer, though.

(Otherwise, everything else is good. Comfy bed, yummy breakfast, and friendly service. )

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
MKHammer, Owner at The Last Resort B & B Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Our current practices and policies are clearly stated on our website...with nothing to hide.

We will be happy to provide guests anything we can (including towels).

Angie, I guess I feel a bit disappointed seeing as you have stayed here so-o many times(!) and I had already addressed this issue with you before your stay.....but let me give you a glimpse into understanding my seasonal business.

First and foremost we knock ourselves out to make sure folks get what they want when they stay here. Surely you know that staying here is an "experience"...that you are not just renting a "ROOM".

Second of all....Asking folks if they would bring their own towels is simply a request...as stated and we are happy to supply them, if there is an objection. No problem!

After 30 years of operating this lovely Inn, I will continue to endeavor to meet the wishes of the clients that choose to enjoy what we have to offer.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have been staying at The Last Resort B&B since 2005 and we absolutely love it. Mary and Alberto are super friendly and welcoming. Their hospitality is what made us fall in love with the place. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very clean. We go twice every summer to recharge our batteries and the Last Resort is the perfect place for it. Thank you, Mary and Alberto! We are looking forward to seeing you next summer!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nina5013
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My family and I had a very nice experience at the Last Resort. It was our first time staying in a BnB with 3 little kids and it went relatively well. Mary and Alberto were very friendly and embraced our children. Yes, out of respect to others, I told my kids to keep their voices down as much as possible, but I didn't feel pressured into controlling their behavior. Mary and Alberto were very entertaining for the kids too and we enjoyed an impromptu music session! Much of our day was spent outside at the beach or picking blueberries anyhow. I would suggest staying in a Harbor View room, as the kids entertained themselves by watching the boats. The only slightly disappointing aspect of our "Penthouse" room was that the kitchenette was not stocked with any kitchen items (plate, pots,etc) which seemed to negate having a kitchen in our room. The beds were PHENOMENAL!! Best sleep ever!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My family and I had a marvelous time at The Last Resort B & B Inn, in South Haven. We spent 5 nights in a cozy room with a view toward the lake. The whole place is quaint and kept in pristine condition. There are beautiful family rooms with all amenities yet keeping the charm of yesteryear. The owners, Mary and Alberto, are kind and welcoming, and breakfasts were animated with good music in a dining room where pieces of art nicely decorate the walls. Staying at the Inn is also sharing a good bit of history of the town. This was the first hotel built in South Haven. In addition, the inn is located in a perfect spot, just a few steps from the beach and at walking distance from the downtown area. It was perfect for my 5 year old, who is not fond of walking long distances. There is a big park with a playground just down the road, and a place to rent bikes in front of the inn. Sometimes, after a very active day, we would just seat outside and enjoy the calm and quiet of the beautiful garden. We enjoyed every minute of our vacation while staying at The Last Resort Inn. I fully recommend it.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

While it says that kids / families are welcome, I didn't get that feel for multiple reasons. I immediately sensed an anxiety about children when we arrived. Others in our bigger party felt the same. It's got a lovely, spacious, outdoor area, but I definitely felt that even outside, you couldn't be too loud - day or evening. So if you're looking to enjoy some peace and quiet, this would be a great place. But we felt a bit like we were in a dorm, having to whisper and be cautious of rules when nobody else was around to be disturbed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank kara M
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I took my kids to the Last Resort when they were very small. We spent a few years in other places in South Haven and now we have returned "home" to the Last Resort. My now 20 and 23 year old are still wanting to go to the Blueberry festival every year and they both love staying at the Last Resort with Mary and Alberto. Music is welcome here as well, if you have some talent and trumpet players are especially welcome. This place is super close to everything, quiet, and beautiful.

Room Tip: Book early in May or June.